excercisss to help learn fretboard better

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
Below are some excercises i am doing to learn the notes on the fretboard better. Please feel free to make some other suggestions that will help

For example on monday i will do key of C

- find the c note on each string
- find the e note on each string
- find the g note on each string
- c chord is made of C, E, G...try to make as many c chord variations from the 1st fret to the last fret
- c major ionian scale. C D E F G A B C ...play that on each string over a c chord loop
- D dorian scale. D E F G A B C... played that on each string over a Dm chord loop. Repeat for E phrygian over Em chord, F lydian over a F major chord, G Mixolydian over G major chord and A aeolian over A minor chord.

Thats it ..the next day i would focus on key of D etc.

tedtan

Reaction score
In addition to what you are doing, note that there will two of each note on each string (with a few exceptions (e.g., there will be three of the open string note on a 24 fret guitar, a 21 fret guitar will only have one of the note at the 11th fret instead of two, etc.)).

Choose a note at random (X), and:
- Go through the strings and find all the X notes on each string,
- Go through a position (e.g., the 5th position (at the 5th fret)) and identify each X note in that position; do this for each position.
- Find a resource on music reading for guitar and work on reading the notes on the written page and playing that note on the guitar. Repeat for each position that note exists (note that there are 5 “middle C” notes on the guitar, so for middle C, you would identify and play each of them).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
This video helped me a lot even after practicing it for just a couple days. It's kind of difficult at first but it's worth it. Definitely better than just trying to memorize where all the notes are.

EDIT: Wow, I should have read OP's post lol Clearly you're not asking for advice, you're giving advice, but hopefully the video I linked will help some future googler.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I work on key centers and chord progressions to master the fretboard.

tuttermuts

Reaction score
I used to do this for hours and hours:
And I'd do the same on paper when I was commuting, just draw up a fretboard and start filling in all the notes.
Or write out scales and chords. It was a time without smartphones....

Last edited:

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My teacher has me learning to play diatonic scales and arpeggios in different keys. Plus some etudes and solos that use various keys across the fretboard. Makes learning challenging fun path to mastery. It is hard to switch from playing a B minor arpeggio to a D major arpeggio for a specific type.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
Not sure if you should be working on learning the fret board better yet if you still can’t down pick Damage Inc.

abstractSettings

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For example on monday i will do key of C

- find the c note on each string
- find the e note on each string
- find the g note on each string
- c chord is made of C, E, G...try to make as many c chord variations from the 1st fret to the last fret
- c major ionian scale. C D E F G A B C ...play that on each string over a c chord loop
- D dorian scale. D E F G A B C... played that on each string over a Dm chord loop. Repeat for E phrygian over Em chord, F lydian over a F major chord, G Mixolydian over G major chord and A aeolian over A minor chord.
That is a nice approach on learning notes on the fretboard. How long does it take to complete all the steps for that day for you? Do you practice something else that same day? Is it easy for you to motivate yourself to do the sequence of steps every day?

Once I am off the guitar, I try to imagine where specific notes are on the fretboard. Currently, I am working on first three strings with notes of chords Am, F, Dm, F# and A. I organize them in three string sweeps and run it through in my mind.
For warm up, I pick whichever note I want and play it on every string with slow tempo metronome 40bpm or less. I do this for 5 - 8 minutes. If it goes well, I cover more notes. Only one note at the time.
For practice, I try playing phrases on chords progression, with the notes on the fretboard I am working on to memorize.