Extended range / fanned fret bass string

• Thread starter crushingpetal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here is how the Dingwall Nickel Plated 45-100 + .170 in Drop G looks with the tapers at the bridge and nut on the Ibanez BTB605MS.

With everything intonated, you can see there is no room for error with the length of the tapers. On a Dingwall bass, the nut would be where the zero fret is on this Ibanez, plus I *think* the Dingwalls have a more agressive fan to the frets, so the tapers probably align better. On this, it is fortunate that the full thickness of the .80 G (3rd string) clears the zero fret and makes it halfway into the nut at least to keep the string centered in place. I only had to file the nut slot for the low G next to it to fit the .170.

Also it's fun to see how that .170 G compares to the 100 D that's next to it. It doesn't feel strange even though it looks like it would.
Have you had any buzzing issues with your zero fret? I've had to file the plastic nut twice to prevent open string buzzing: it's super annoying.

I realized if I don't give enough winds on the tuning peg to keep the string low I get open string zero fret buzz. I actually wasted a $40 set of dingwall strings because I cut the E string too short and there weren't enough winds on the tuning peg.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love the BTB605MS otherwise. Sounds amazing and actually really easy to play.* I've recently paired it with an X7 and it's perfect.

*No, I remembered I hate the dumb locking output jack and the fret edges are a bit sharp on the underside. Other than that though, awesome bass.

I'd pay extra for a prestige version, but that's not gonna' happen...

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
The 605 had open E buzzing over the zero fret, I filed the nut slot a lil deeper, no big deal. Not the 806 though, but that one came from Sweetwater, they would have resolved any such issues during inspection.