Fake Shredders

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
All this fake stuff comes down to is that those who use it seem to feel less watchable or listenable without it. It's like people who use makeup. Why they use it is out of a either a form of insecurity or as a form, self flattery, or as an enhancement/artistic form of expression. It's one thing to be open about the tools you use and another to lie. This is like the models who obviously have had a ton of plastic surgery done and swear they haven't. If you took it all away then they would feel people think they aren't good enough or sound bad live. Maybe that is true, maybe not. Fact is that either way it's not entirely live once that method has been implemented. Whether the observer cares or not is up to them, but whether they know if they're being lied to or not is another thing altogether.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Like Veil of Maya for example, Mark Okubo mastered the looper pedal and performed his live shows playing essentially two guitar parts himself whenever there was overlap and he could backtrack a melody or rhythm section. This was still imperfect and prone to errors, but most were forgiving because of how difficult it is to do that. It's not stepping on a chorus pedal instead of a flanger because you feel like it, he was recording two guitar parts LIVE and nailed the timing almost every time.

Yeah, those were the golden days. I remember seeing that live and I'll always have immense respect for that entire lineup at the time. No click track(Marc said so in an interview at the time) and he used a looper to loop parts... that requires them to be so damn tight and really shows how damn solid Sam is as a drummer to keep such a solid tempo.

Now it's all backing tracks. I understand why, but the "wow" factor is gone and I really don't desire to see VoM in their current live state.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
This is just an obnoxious take, and I'd love to see what acts you've taken the effort of seeing live at this point to validate that crowds in general are sleeping through concerts in the last 2 - 3 decades. Because that is completely and utterly false :lol:

Completely false, and if it does happen and you find any example of it I will argue tooth and nail that it's in the minority.
I don't think anyone is recording those small local band shows with miming, but, like I mentioned, I've seen the first hand, and, usually, everyone at the show goes outside as soon as the mime band starts. It sucks for my band if we go on next and have to corral the audience back inside.

The last statement speaks for itself. You say there is no evidence, and if there is, you won't accept it. I guess that's as far as any meaningful discussion with you can get, then.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is recording those small local band shows with miming, but, like I mentioned, I've seen the first hand, and, usually, everyone at the show goes outside as soon as the mime band starts. It sucks for my band if we go on next and have to corral the audience back inside.

The last statement speaks for itself. You say there is no evidence, and if there is, you won't accept it. I guess that's as far as any meaningful discussion with you can get, then.

Minority not none.

If you're gonna twist my words then I guess you aren't open to a real discussion either. Yeah that's a real bummer that bands that play with you frequently mime live, if you have any evidence and want to argue that it's a widespread problem, be my guest. But as of now you've presented none and you're sitting there twisting my statements to make it seem like I'm some unreasonable circular debater.

People often forget that if you make a statement "People are miming live", it's your responsibility to provide substance that it's true. Not for me to debunk your claim, because I'm not the one trying to prove that it's happening. Not my fault if you don't want to hold up the other part of your talking points :shrug:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Minority not none.

If you're gonna twist my words then I guess you aren't open to a real discussion either. Yeah that's a real bummer that bands that play with you frequently mime live, if you have any evidence and want to argue that it's a widespread problem, be my guest. But as of now you've presented none and you're sitting there twisting my statements to make it seem like I'm some unreasonable circular debater.

People often forget that if you make a statement "People are miming live", it's your responsibility to provide substance that it's true. Not for me to debunk your claim, because I'm not the one trying to prove that it's happening. Not my fault if you don't want to hold up the other part of your talking points :shrug:
Where did I misquote you? You are saying it doesn't happen, which, given the mountain of evidence just in this discussion, is a little unreadonable.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Act like you never said, "Completely false." But whatever, time to move on.

I'm not even an RoS fan here, people are using his potential miming before he explained himself to scapegoat the fact that modern metal has moved towards people standing on stage with a million backtracks and their volumes turned to 0. Completely false, and if it does happen and you find any example of it I will argue tooth and nail that it's in the minority.

What a colossal waste of time, "Completely false" was that this was common practice and a majority of musicians don't even play their OWN guitar live, it wasn't even directed at you. Nice dodge, such a boring way to not answer the question or prove anything on your side, of course you want to move on :lol:

Obsidian Soul

Reaction score
I feel like this whole discussion is a waste of time.It seems like the only people that really care and are wasting their time debating this are the same people that won't put in the time to practice.I bet Lucas probably has more skill with just one hand than some of these people with both.

I'm sorry,but I feel like there are better topics to talk about than to worry about someone else's skill.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
What a colossal waste of time, "Completely false" was that this was common practice and a majority of musicians don't even play their OWN guitar live, it wasn't even directed at you. Nice dodge, such a boring way to not answer the question or prove anything on your side, of course you want to move on :lol:

Why are you the way that you are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts