Favorite/ Best Modernized T-Styles?

• Thread starter Heretick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
Hey all!

Facebook loves to give me ads for dirt cheap Chinese factory guitars, and I love to click on them. Long story short, I ended up looking through the guitars that the company "Grote" has on offer. They're a name I have passing familiarity with, but, as with most of the direct Chinses companies, I've never paid THAT much attention to them. But I saw a guitar that really intrigued me:
Grote.jpeg
Grote2.jpeg
Stainless steel frets, roasted maple neck/fretboard, spoke wheel truss rod, nice metallic colors, and a modified body and pickguard shape that I actually really like! Like, kind of a lot, actually!

Now, I don't know if I'd ever take the gamble on one of these myself, but it got me really GAS-ing for a modernized T-style; something that beyond just a telecaster-clone, but is still, functionally, basically a tele.

So if you know of any, drop 'em! Any price point, I'm really just curious to know what's out there. I'd prefer to stay 6-string and standard tele config (bridge and pickups) myself, but feel free to drop ERGs and/or humbucker equipped as long as they're modernized T-styles!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Balaguer Thicket?

thicket-standard-ss-2023-gloss-white.png

Aviator Guitars' Texan:
IMG-20201211-WA0004.jpg

Their Warbird model could also likely have more "tele-like' specs added an ashtray bridge for an even more modern take. This one doesn't have it, but it has the pickups:
3edd0b_33212f2728724124b3d249bb1d83c806.jpg

One question is: what defines a "tele" for you? What are your deal breakers? Does it have to be bolt-on? If it has tele style pickups, does it need a pickguard? Is a Tele bridge required? For you, what would make a guitar not a tele?

Otherwise, here's a 25.5c scale fixed bridge with a tele pickup, and a curved forearm contour and belly cut. 😅

Screenshot_20240113-121650_Gallery.jpg

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
@spudmunkey The Thicket was pretty much the only other one I knew of off the top of my head, but the other ones are good calls! Very nice!

I would say that I would personally be looking for something with a tele-descended body with an ashtray bridge, tele pickups, and probably a pickguard, but for the purposes of the thread, I'm pretty much just looking for stuff that most guitar players would see and be able to visually identify (mostly from body shape, probably) as being a telecaster or offshoot of a tele; I think the first three you posted fit that criteria perfectly! The Kiesel not so much, funny as it is :lol:

I'm primarily a strat player, and and VERY familiar with all the myriad variations of the super strat, so I'm looking for people to share, I guess, comparable "super teles" that they like/ own, even if it's just, like, a more contemporary-colored tele with humbuckers or something, haha. And I know there are way fewer tele offshoots out there than Strats and are harder to find, hence the creation of the thread!

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
Always have GAS for a Wirebird IV with the 35mm body.

39898802214_ab9ee730e5_b.jpg