Favorite/Favourite IR's Dec 2020 edition

• Thread starter thebeesknees22
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DaZoner

Reaction score
I just picked up the Kohle DV77 pack as well. It's really good. I'm particularly fond of the DV77 & Swamp Thang blend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
hahah sorry sorry, I'm working 6 days weeks right now. Might have to go to 7's come january.

I'll try and find time tomorrow if I can.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
gunch's gear resolution: get blue doo doo cab and put dv 77s in it

Metropolis

Reaction score
Oh yes, Kohle pack sounds awesome loaded into my Helix LT. He has pretty damn good ear for metal tones. DV-77 especially is really good sounding speaker, like a beefier Mesa V30. Swampthang I don't care about at all because it's so dark and boomy. CV-75 sounds quite boxy by itself, but blended it can sound interesting. General flavor and feel of these IR's are similar to Jens Bogren pack. I'll see what I can do for the sound clips.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How do you all want these samples? Straight raw? I'm setting one up where i'm flipping through the basic eminence one and the kohle pack. I'm not doing every single IR though. I need to fix the levels and maybe back off on the gain a bit. I'll try and finish this after lunch. ugh.. I should probably make a youtube video with descriptions. ughgh....ugughghghg... let me see what I can do. lol

Reaction score
How do you all want these samples? Straight raw? I'm setting one up where i'm flipping through the basic eminence one and the kohle pack. I'm not doing every single IR though. I need to fix the levels and maybe back off on the gain a bit. I'll try and finish this after lunch. ugh.. I should probably make a youtube video with descriptions. ughgh....ugughghghg... let me see what I can do. lol

Whatever is easiest for you. I'm honestly just curious to hear what Kohle's DV-77 sounds like.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ok this is definitely not my best work lol ...but it is what it is for today. Keeping it super simple for demo purposes.
https://soundcloud.com/user-121005499/dv77-test3/s-Pd0kFcPHLSW

Mr. Kristian's DV77 IR pack (just a few samples)
1st pass -dv77 Angry L
-dv77 Fat R
2nd pass - Angry solo centered (half the riff)
3rd pass - Fat solo centered (2nd half of riff)
4th pass - Blended IR's Rattlesnake L
Perfect Blend R
5th solo rattlesnake
6th solo perfect blend.

Amp - Helix Badonk. Default settings with gain backed off to 3.5. Probably has a bit too much gain, but ..eh. Just trying to keep things fairly default with the settings for this so other's can easily compare.
Horizon drive in front. gain 0. attack 2. boosted the output a bit.. can't remember what i set it to. 7.5?
room reverb post amp. (pretty much default settings with the mix backed off a bit)

IR Loader - Libra
high and low cuts applied.
low - 69.
high - varies depending on mic.
I did boost the resonance a bit just because I liked it better.

No other EQ. Pretty much vanilla Helix/KK DV77 IR's.

Guitar - 2005 gibson LP standard with burstbucker pro's. drop D 1 half step down for that ridiculously complicated riff. lol

Overall I like it. I'm still a sucker for Orange 2x12 v30 IR's though. I just really like that cabinet and it's the one I own so I don't see these totally replacing that, but I'll give the dv77's a shot though when i start my next round of writing.

I've listened to these IR's enough today that it's starting to mess with my ears. lol Takin' a break!

Reaction score
ok this is definitely not my best work lol ...but it is what it is for today. Keeping it super simple for demo purposes.
https://soundcloud.com/user-121005499/dv77-test3/s-Pd0kFcPHLSW

Mr. Kristian's DV77 IR pack (just a few samples)
1st pass -dv77 Angry L
-dv77 Fat R
2nd pass - Angry solo centered (half the riff)
3rd pass - Fat solo centered (2nd half of riff)
4th pass - Blended IR's Rattlesnake L
Perfect Blend R
5th solo rattlesnake
6th solo perfect blend.

Amp - Helix Badonk. Default settings with gain backed off to 3.5. Probably has a bit too much gain, but ..eh. Just trying to keep things fairly default with the settings for this so other's can easily compare.
Horizon drive in front. gain 0. attack 2. boosted the output a bit.. can't remember what i set it to. 7.5?
room reverb post amp. (pretty much default settings with the mix backed off a bit)

IR Loader - Libra
high and low cuts applied.
low - 69.
high - varies depending on mic.
I did boost the resonance a bit just because I liked it better.

No other EQ. Pretty much vanilla Helix/KK DV77 IR's.

Guitar - 2005 gibson LP standard with burstbucker pro's. drop D 1 half step down for that ridiculously complicated riff. lol

Overall I like it. I'm still a sucker for Orange 2x12 v30 IR's though. I just really like that cabinet and it's the one I own so I don't see these totally replacing that, but I'll give the dv77's a shot though when i start my next round of writing.

I've listened to these IR's enough today that it's starting to mess with my ears. lol Takin' a break!
Thanks. Sounds good.

I'm really impressed with the DV77s. I always thought Mick's tone was kinda dark, scooped, and muddy...so I was wondering what this speaker would bring to the table. I actually like it a lot.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I guess I should do a 7 string version since this is the sevenstring forum lol

https://soundcloud.com/user-121005499/dv77-test-7string/s-LBuRvHZQ7jG

still too much gain, but ..whatever. my bad. I'll try and do something for real one of these days with these IR's, and get something nicer.

guitar- ibanez RGA71AL (bareknuckle aftermath pickups) tuned to standard B flat. I don't think using this guitar is really fair for a sound test since the pickups are so voiced, but it's the only 7 string I have so it'll have to do for now.

Reaction score
This was posted today and I'm really digging these IRs. They're free and they're all very usable. The only downside is that mixing them doesn't always work because some pairings are SUPER out of phase, but that's not really a big deal. It's rare that a free IR pack has nothing but good IRs that actually take to a mix well. Check it out

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just tried them out. yeah they sound good especially for free. Some blended nice with the Orange Ir's I usually use too. Good find!

Reaction score
This puts me at a difficult position. I really want to try Kohle's IRs but I'm not paying 40 bucks for them. That seems awfully steep for something I'm not even sure I'm gonna use. Decisions, decisions.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
lol, I don't think Kohle's IR's are the end all be all. I've played with them some more and I don't find them better than v30's. Just different. Good yes, better? mmm... It really depends on the mix. Are they worth $40? mmmm... mmm... That'll depend on the individual.

Honestly if I didn't have some extra monies to burn at the time, I wouldn't have bought them since I'm quite happy with my OH and celestion digital Orange v30 IR's.

I think if someone is needing to budget a bit, then there are lots of other things that are better to put $40 towards.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I did a quick lil comparison of some of my favorite blends from the Dv77 pack and the Kohle pack.
1st is from the dv77 pack and it's a 906 with a 57 royer combo. 2nd is Kohle's perfect blend+ rattlesnake combo. 3rd is Bitey Cv75+Grindy Swamp thing from Kohle's pack.
https://soundcloud.com/knightbrolaire/sets/eminence-ir-comparison

Last edited:
Reaction score

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score