Favorite or “best” noise gate?

• Thread starter Drache713
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Your favorite noise gate?

• Boss ns-2

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • ISP decimator/decimate

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • ISP decimator g-string/decimate g

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Electro Harmonix silencer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mxr noise clamp

• Fortin zuul

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Airis hades

• Highwind phalanx

• Mxr smart gate

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Tc sentry

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Nothing beats that intelligent gate on the Decimator. I dont know the science behind it, but it works as advertised and as intended. The Smart Gate is slow. I always had an NS2 and they never failed. But right now, I favor the EHX Silencer. Robust like the NS2 but with more control for a more natural decay and gating cut.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
I've been using the Boss NS-2 for the last 10 years or so and then, when I bought an amplifier two weeks ago, the seller asked me if I wanted an EHx Silencer along with the amp (for the same price basically) so I said "eh, why not?"

Been an hassle to switch on my pedalboard since the jacks are not in the same order but beside that, I love it so far. Can't say that its better than the NS-2 and can't compare with anything else, but its does the job quite well.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Since I only use software, I still prefer the noise gate in Guitar Rig 5 because you can adjust the attack and also the floor noise reduction. I just crank the attack to quickest and the noise reduction to max and I have no problem playing hi-gain stuff even on single-coils.

Mike

Reaction score
2 Decimator II's has been my go to for the last few years or so and it's been my favorite setup. One last in the chain in front of the amp and one before my delay in the loop. The one thing I do not do is link them together with the link functionality because I simply could never get the gating to sound or feel quite right. Unlinked I have more control over how much gating is applied out front and how much is in the loop.

I also love the ns-2 though and had one around for years and definitely miss the extra control of the tightness you can get with the decay knob. Has anyone ever messed around with modding an ns-2?

jbnuk

Reaction score
I like the Boss NS-2. To my ears, it seems to make everything just a bit tighter in addition to a really good noise reduction and natural decay; the ISP, IMO, has an artificial decay / feel... with the NS-2, rolling off the volume a bit to go from high to low gain still works well...

fcv

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Used to use a decimator ii, but now I'm a convert to the sentry gate. Works great and is more customizable than I ever need.

Descent

Reaction score
I've tried the NS-2 but it did impart a "metallic" feel to tube amps that I didn't like, otherwise it is OK gate.
Rocktron Hush seemed to be best to just cut down on fx loop noise on 5150 amp.

I use MXR Smart Gate and EHX The Silencer - both are fine. I try to go less but in some instances like our horrible practice studio, one has to rely on noise gate to fix bad electricity. Most of the time when I am live I go very low.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Still rocking my first gen ISP Noise Decimator. It's easily a decade old and does what I need it to do. No need for anything else personally.

Also, why did you not include the Cock Blocker? A pedal with a name that great deserves to be on the list.

Drache713

Contributor
Reaction score
Still rocking my first gen ISP Noise Decimator. It's easily a decade old and does what I need it to do. No need for anything else personally.

Also, why did you not include the Cock Blocker? A pedal with a name that great deserves to be on the list.
To be completely honest I totally forgot about it and being such a small production I don’t know how many people actually own one. :lol:

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Have had my first gen Decimator for about 10 years now and haven't felt the need to try anything else. The one knob simplicity is perfect.

Though now that I'm using more pedals on my clean tone I'm getting too much noise, so I think a 2nd Decimator is in order as using the same same setting as I do with hi gain with cleans is cutting things off too much.

Latest posts