Favorite wood tops, examples, sources

• Thread starter ExMachina
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone's favorite unfinished wood for a guitar top? As well as where you like to source wood.

I'm a big fan of lace redwood.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Lace redwood is nice, i like curly redwood the most with big curls

guitar.jpg

One of my bucket lists guitars is a Kiesel with only Cali woods (curly redwood for the top)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo

Reaction score
When you say unfinished, I assume you mean not dyed /stained/kandy painted? Or do you plan on leaving the body w/o a topcoat (finish)? The terminology here hasn't been agreed upon by the curmudgeons Merriam and Webster, but finished usually refers to having a topcoat of some sort. You could say "natural finish" when not adding a color to the wood.

Ziricote is really nice, but "chocolate" flamed or quilted maple with an oil finish leaves a nice golden brown look.

Kimball Hardwoods is definitely worth checking out. You can pick out individual pieces, which in my experience can make or break it if you just blindly order "flame maple" from a source that doesn't show you exactly what you are getting.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
When you say unfinished, I assume you mean not dyed /stained/kandy painted? Or do you plan on leaving the body w/o a topcoat (finish)? The terminology here hasn't been agreed upon by the curmudgeons Merriam and Webster, but finished usually refers to having a topcoat of some sort. You could say "natural finish" when not adding a color to the wood.

Ziricote is really nice, but "chocolate" flamed or quilted maple with an oil finish leaves a nice golden brown look.

Kimball Hardwoods is definitely worth checking out. You can pick out individual pieces, which in my experience can make or break it if you just blindly order "flame maple" from a source that doesn't show you exactly what you are getting.
Yea sorry, I meant natural finished, not raw wood.

gclef

Reaction score
I'd say my favorite is spalted maple, like on my old Carvin DC700. As far as other tops and woods, I generally buy off ebay, Bell Forest products, and Woodworker's source.
View attachment 134745
If you like that, check THIS out!

20210705_192302.jpg
It's a '99 warmoth tele (duh! Lol), from back when they did full thickness tops instead of the veneer tops.

The flame looks super deep, and it is very 3d as you move it around.

I am more into painted stuff over "wood library" types these days.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Flamed spalt is pretty rare, such a shame it's on a tele :cond:

Latest posts