Finalising Specs on my Custom Balaguer, Opinions Welcome!

chuggiewuggies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm almost ready to push the button, but would just like some opinions on a couple options I'm less sure about. It's a 28.5" 7 string with an Evertune. I plan to play from drop F# down to double drop D. Here is what it looks like:

Specs I'm not fully set on:

1pc Wenge Neck (body matched colour) - I chose this as I hear it's a good wood for bass and low tunings, and combined with an ebony fretboard should add some brightness. Does this sound good or any other ideas?

Bare Knuckle Black Hawks - I'm currently seeing if I can custom order the Impulse set instead as they are designed for lower tunings. Has anyone had experience with either? My other option was Lundgren M7s but seeing as they don't offer them pre-installed I've been put off. If they are really worth the extra hassle and money let me know.

"C" shape neck profile - I'm pretty set on this but let me know if I'm being an idiot. My 6 string has a C-shaped neck and I find it more comfortable to play than my current D shaped 7. Is this going to change with the scale length being over 2 inches longer?

String gauges: 10-74. This has been the hardest thing to work out so far. I'm gonna be playing quite a range between double drop D and F# so unsure where to go with this. I don't mind it being a bit tight on the F# but I don't want to overdo the thickness and dull the tone. I think the Evertune should help keep thinner strings handle the lower tunings. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
The best thing about strings is if you don't like them they only run $1-3 per string to change them out

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Strings are something you will just work out when you get the guitar. With longer scale lengths I find you can get away with lower tension that you usually use.

I wouldn’t overthink the neck wood. It’s going to sound bright and clear with that scale anyway. Just choose what you like the look of visually.

I haven’t tried impulses but i felt the black hawks had a lot of bass on the lowest string when I tried them. Lundgrens will work great for tuning that low

Neck shapes are a guideline, the same shape can feel different depending on the thickness. It’s just something you have to gamble with unfortunately

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
I can't comment on how it sounds for a 7, but a solid wenge neck does feel very nice.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I have a Balaguer Hyperion 7 with Evertune actually.. my biggest mistake with specs when ordering was not going for the lightest possible swamp ash body - Its a really heavy guitar with Roasted ash. Think about that cause its a pretty massive guitar. Overall though, its a good guitar, I dont play 7s as much anymore but I'm happy with it for what it is.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-tvJViWYAAnMHA?format=jpg&name=large
CRTlHFOgs73

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
I think a 74 (especially with an Evertune) would be absolutely fine at that scale.

I've got a 72 on my Ibby 8 string and I've used that all the way to Eb.

I have a Balaguer Hyperion 7 with Evertune actually.. my biggest mistake with specs when ordering was not going for the lightest possible swamp ash body - Its a really heavy guitar with Roasted ash. Think about that cause its a pretty massive guitar. Overall though, its a good guitar, I dont play 7s as much anymore but I'm happy with it for what it is.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-tvJViWYAAnMHA?format=jpg&name=large
CRTlHFOgs73

Also that looks incredible dude, please tell me you have an NGD thread somewhere?

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I think a 74 (especially with an Evertune) would be absolutely fine at that scale.

I've got a 72 on my Ibby 8 string and I've used that all the way to Eb.

Also that looks incredible dude, please tell me you have an NGD thread somewhere?

Sorry man, I dont really post here that much these days.. but I do plan on making a video about it in the next two months (been planning it since I received it last year, but I'm a slacker haha) - I'll try to post a thread in this forum when I do, and it'll be linked in the Balaguer Facebook group for sure.

nsimonsen

Reaction score
FYI, I have asked before if they can direct mount pickups instead of using surrounds and they said you can specify to have them direct mounted.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Wedge is perfect fine as neck, it sounds quite bright, but guitar will sound bright anyway on that scale length as already mentioned.
I have two red layers, one with a wedge neck (with small maple strips) and one with a wedge/mahogany (and again small maple strips). There is a sound difference but not that big.
Both necks feels amazing and are stable as can be. So I think you are fine with neck.

For the pickups I do not know, never tried them really.

a .74 is thick enough on this scale length for the proposed tuning and easy to change afterwards. I whoud go thinner I think.

Neck shape is a personal thing, if you like C more than D than go for it! I am also more a C person I think.

And damn the design looks really sick man! If it comes to live, please post pictures!!!

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I have some trouble understanding how you intend to tune this thing? Are you saying switching between DDGCFA and F#DGCFA? That doesn't make sense to me really. Care to clarify?

Edit: wait a sec, you mean DDADGB and F#DADGB?

Thesius

Reaction score
I've never used black hawks I did enjoy my Lundgren set when I was playing with them. I've found C shaped necks to be comfortable with 7s as well. Shouldn't be an issue for you.

Mountainman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I personally prefer wenge necks unfinished for the feel, but I understand finishing it for aesthetic reasons.