FINGER STRETCHING WITH YOUR CAPSLOCK

• Thread starter octatoan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

octatoan

Acoustic tech-death!
Reaction score
Type this, fast:
Code:
ASDF ASDG ASFG ADFG SDFG ADFG ASFG ASDG ASDF
Harder:
Code:
FDSA GDSA GFSA GFDA GFDS GFDA GFSA GDSA FDSA
Now stretch two!
Code:
ASDF ASDH ASGH AFGH DFGH AFGH ASGH ASDF
Harder:
Code:
ASDF ASDH ASFH ASGH ADFH ADGH AFGH ADGH ADFH ASGH ASFH ASDH ASDF

I have yet to try these properly. (And I assume you're in QWERTY!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

octatoan

Acoustic tech-death!
Reaction score
Stretching and flexibility. You cold even try permuting the letters in the "words" (for something like FADS GADS GAFS GAFD etc.) for finger independence.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
60782628.jpg

Sent from my Android Tablet

SlinkyStrings

Reaction score
Stretching and flexibility. You cold even try permuting the letters in the "words" (for something like FADS GADS GAFS GAFD etc.) for finger independence.

You waste your time twofold.

First of all, typing on a computer keyboard and press down strings are two completely different concepts. Consider you need hit it a string at an exact time, from a limited angle, and adjust pressure on the string and then release at an exact time.

Secondly, all those 1-2-3-4 permutations are more or less useless. You will rarely if ever play something like 1-3-2-4 during a solo or a riff. Practicing things with scarce musical value isn't worth practicing at all.

If you want to have full control over your fretting hand you first need to relax. Stand in front of a mirror with your guitar and rest your fingers (1-2-3-4) on one string without pressing it down. You should almost feel how the string wants to attach to your fingers rather then you touching it.

Then do the same thing but this time you hold your fingers a few millimeters above the string (almost as close as possible without touching it). Try to feel comfortable being so close to the string without touching it.

Then do the same thing while you press down the string. Again, only use the smallest amount of pressure needed to produce a note.

Be conscious about tension just as you are conscious about the sound you produce, because they are deeply connected.

redstone

Reaction score
Without the support of the thumb or palm in this position you'll damage your hand. Use your right wrist/forearm as a pseudo-neck if you want to work some fingerings anywhere.

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I disagree with some of Slinky's post, but the core of it cannot be stressed enough. Why practice on a keyboard when you can practice the same thing more accurately on a guitar? Easy, you don't. You practice on a guitar.

octatoan

Acoustic tech-death!
Reaction score
Without the support of the thumb or palm in this position you'll damage your hand. Use your right wrist/forearm as a pseudo-neck if you want to work some fingerings anywhere.

And what do you think of the idea's efficacy, assuming I do have support?

I disagree with some of Slinky's post, but the core of it cannot be stressed enough. Why practice on a keyboard when you can practice the same thing more accurately on a guitar? Easy, you don't. You practice on a guitar.

First, I don't always have my guitar.
Second, with the keyboard, I can test my finger movements by seeing if I actually end up typing what I meant to. On a guitar, you need to be awesome at legato to be sure that you are pressing the frets you meant to.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
First, I don't always have my guitar.
Second, with the keyboard, I can test my finger movements by seeing if I actually end up typing what I meant to. On a guitar, you need to be awesome at legato to be sure that you are pressing the frets you meant to.

Well sure. Doesn't change the fact that it's exponentially better to practice on the real thing though.

And your second statement is just flat out wrong, man. Being able to press the frets you meant to press is... the basics.

octatoan

Acoustic tech-death!
Reaction score
Well sure. Doesn't change the fact that it's exponentially better to practice on the real thing though.

And your second statement is just flat out wrong, man. Being able to press the frets you meant to press is... the basics.
Ye-es. I don't really do this, though. It was just an idea I came up with.

This . . . this . . . :lol: