Fingertips Splitting

rvoteary

Cocaine Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figured this'd be the best forum I'm on the ask about this. I've been playing guitar since 2004 and never really had this issue but recently when I play my fingertips have been splitting. It hurts like crazy and it seems like the only way to stop it from happening is by not playing guitar, which sucks. I've tried a few different moisturizers and whatnot and it seems to work until I start playing again. Anyone else had this?

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
let em heal up properly (as in take off a few weeks from playing guitar) or go the masochist route and superglue the splits together and suffer for your music.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've had occasional trouble with my fingertip sort of separating under the nail a tiny bit because they're dry and cracked in the winter, and my knuckles definitely crack in the winter, as well. I've just tried to get in the habit of being proactive about hand moisterizer, because while it's not super macho or anything, having your knuckles bleeding as they crack is kind of a pain in the ass. I use Aveeno moisturizing lotion - an ex girlfriend (who was the one who convinced me to try using moisturizer in the first place, because my knuckles kept cracking in the winter) recommended it, as it doesn't feel at all oily.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Surveyor 777

I measure things
Reaction score
I have this problem every winter. Either the fingertips split in the middle of the tip or my thumbs split right at one of the edges of the nail. My only solution is using hand lotion and often - not a lot at a time, but just to keep moisture in my skin.

When the fingertips are split, then I do that but I have to stay away from the guitar for a couple of days to let the fingers heal. Then keep at the lotion but I make sure to wash my hands before playing, because I don't want to get any oiliness from the lotion on the guitar.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
Last year I started having this problem after not ever really having it before. Tried a few different creams and the regular Aveeno seems to work the best. I also got some prescription ointment from my VA doc so if nothing works, go ask your doctor.

I tried the okeefes and it feels really really strange and didn't help, but that's just me so feel free to try that. I've been told udder butter is great, can be found at a feed store. Also, I only apply it at night and then sleep with cotton gloves so as not to get it everywhere.

Hope you find something that works. It was kind of scary when this started happening to me because it was always when I had a show coming up and I literally couldn't use a finger if it was bad enough. Also, pay attention to what chemicals and such you might be using at work and use latex gloves whenever you can.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
I play upright bass in an orchestra and fingers are the worst. Why don't we have carbon fiber for skin?

In my times of severe need (when I cannot take the time off - perpetual rehearsals or upcoming concerts), athletic tape over my fingers has had me covered.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
My dad has the same problem and he doesn't even play guitar.

Use this:

http://www.okeeffescompany.com/working-hands

My plumber and carpenter friends swear by the stuff.

This, just discovered that cream 3 weeks ago after trying all those expensive moisturizing creams (which were doing nothing).

Living 500km north of Montreal and working 2500km north of the same city, where the temperature goes below -60C with the wind (-76F), my skin tend to dry and crack. Never had that issue with my fingertips before but this year I had it on two finger of my fretting hand. On my last time off, I went to buy some guy's Fuzz Factory pedal, he handed me one of his Les Paul so I could try it and after 2 minutes of playing, one of my finger cracked open and began to bleed, had to stop to play before I put blood all over his fingerboard. Before I got back home, I had to stop at Home Hardware get some stuff and see that cream next to the cashier, figured eh what the heck, might try it at this point. On the very next day, I played two 40 minutes sets with my band without having my finger tip crack open. It is that good.

TL;DR, its the best cream I tried, as we speak my fingers are fine and I can play guitar as much as I want.

Latest posts