First ERG and questions

Gregadethhh

Guitar Padawan
Reaction score
First of all I'd like to say hello to everyone on here.

I've been avidly reading feedback on guitars and pickups on this forum for the past few weeks now and I'm going to get my first ERG but had some questions I hope you guys could answer for me :)

I'm pretty much set on an Ibanez RGA-8 (2011 Model) and due to owning 2 Ibanez's already and feedback on here I know the stock pickups are just terrible as well as the active EQ switch on this guitar so my two ideas are:

Option A: - Put in some EMG 808s and replace the active EQ with an EMG Afterburner

or

Option B: - Put in some BKP Nailbombs and replace the active EQ killswitch with a working tone pot

so what're you guys thoughts? any recommendations? :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Well have you played EMGs and BKPs? They're pretty different.

I think really it would make more sense to play the guitar first and figure out which of those pups would best suit what you're going for in that particular guitar.

Gregadethhh

Guitar Padawan
Reaction score
I've not had much experience with either if I'm honest, I've got DiMarzio's in my two other Ibanez's, my S470 has Nige Rockett (Onslaught) DiMarzio ToneZone in the bridge and I tend to use that guitar for more thrash/speed metal type stuff and I use the JS1200 for slightly more melodic death metal based stuff.

I don't want the RGA8 to sound like either of those, I've used EMG 81/85 and a BKP Painkiller but they were for more thrash based stuff.

toecutter

Reaction score
It won't sound like those if you mod the guitar correctly. I prefer the D-activators but if you have the cash BKP may be better. Regardless the stock pickups must be removed.

Gregadethhh

Guitar Padawan
Reaction score
see I was wondering do I stick with DiMarzio's? I've heard mixed reviews of the D-Activators but that's only in 6 stringers, I like a bit of mids in my tone and not too much bass, the other worry is will my amp be able to cope with the 8th string? (it's a Laney LC50)

MED

Reaction score
Since you are in the UK aren't BKPs pretty reasonable? If so, BKP Black Dog all the way :). Also, DiMarzio just released the PAF 8 which I have been aching to try out. Both the Black Dog and the PAF 8 are lower output, but from what I have experienced that is a good thing for an ERG.

Also, I play my 8 through a Vox AC4TV which has a 6.5" speaker. To be fair I use a compressor to reign in the low end, but it sounds pretty decent for bedroom practicing. If you are worried about how the 8th string will sound through your Laney, I would definitely go with a lower output pickup.

Gregadethhh

Guitar Padawan
Reaction score
MED I have a PAF Pro in my JS1200CA and I love the sound of that guitar, BKPs are £125 here which is about $200. I'm slowly starting to go off the EMGs the more I read, I've never been a fan of active pickups in the first place but a lot of people seem to have them in ERGs

MED

Reaction score
MED I have a PAF Pro in my JS1200CA and I love the sound of that guitar, BKPs are £125 here which is about $200. I'm slowly starting to go off the EMGs the more I read, I've never been a fan of active pickups in the first place but a lot of people seem to have them in ERGs

Hmmm. From my experience 6 vs 7 vs 8 string pickups are all voiced a little differently, but if you are going for something different then try out the Deactivators.

I totally agree, EMG's are pretty bland. They are very even and clear, which is why I like them for some situations. I think a lot of people use them b/c they are a very safe choice. *Spoiler* I have them in 3/5 of my guitars :(......:lol:

Gregadethhh

Guitar Padawan
Reaction score
I've always been DiMarzio through and through, I'm gonna listen to my friend's band rehearse soon and his guitarists use 8 strings (one's an Agile Intrepid with EMG 808) and the other's got ESP Stef B-8 not sure what pickups I know he gave the EMGs to the other guitarist, gonna see how they sound I think

MED

Reaction score
Cool. Let me know how the ESP Stef B-8 sounds without the EMGs, I have one on the way :)

Gregadethhh

Guitar Padawan
Reaction score
UPDATE: Got in contact with the owner of the ESP Stef B-8, oddly enough he's got D-Activators in it. I'll keep this posted after their rehearsal :)

Lives Once Abstract

Avid Musician
Reaction score
i Would definitely go bare knuckles. and although i have never been a fan of emg's either, the only exception is the 808x's. tosin used them for a while and they sounded good, but i think the main reason they sounded the way they is because of his racks and amps, because i bought 808x's for my eight and they werent bad but i now have BKP aftermaths. and even though they are voiced for high gain settings. the sound VERY good when clean.

Gregadethhh

Guitar Padawan
Reaction score
i Would definitely go bare knuckles. and although i have never been a fan of emg's either, the only exception is the 808x's. tosin used them for a while and they sounded good, but i think the main reason they sounded the way they is because of his racks and amps, because i bought 808x's for my eight and they werent bad but i now have BKP aftermaths. and even though they are voiced for high gain settings. the sound VERY good when clean.

I wish DiMarzio did more 7/8 string pickups :/ been to see my luthier today as well and he said he'd only charge £20 (~$30) to install them and replace the active EQ with a tone knob

stuglue

Reaction score
Why not ditch the tone pot altogether? No one uses them anyway. Jaden Rose has a pair of paf 8 dimarzio pickups available, he won't split them though.

djohns74

Reaction score
Why not ditch the tone pot altogether? No one uses them anyway.
Certainly not the most accurate statement in the world. :noway: It's true that I never really adjust mine, but I've tried not having one at all a couple of times and for me at least, it made the tone unacceptably bright. In an extremely "dark" sounding guitar that might be fine, but it's worth noting that a tone knob turned all the way down does NOT yield the same result as not having a tone control at all.

Gregadethhh

Guitar Padawan
Reaction score
Certainly not the most accurate statement in the world. :noway: It's true that I never really adjust mine, but I've tried not having one at all a couple of times and for me at least, it made the tone unacceptably bright. In an extremely "dark" sounding guitar that might be fine, but it's worth noting that a tone knob turned all the way down does NOT yield the same result as not having a tone control at all.

:yesway: I roll the tone back ever so slightly when I'm playing softer parts/songs just enough to take the edge off

MED

Reaction score
UPDATE: Got in contact with the owner of the ESP Stef B-8, oddly enough he's got D-Activators in it. I'll keep this posted after their rehearsal :)

That is a little odd. I had D-Activators in my 6 for awhile, but didn't love them. I still need to try them out for 7s and 8s though.

$30 for a pickup swap and install is totally worth it. Post some before and after pics when you decide to get it done!

+1 for the tone pot. It really makes a difference for bright guitars.

dmarceo316

Reaction score
I have an RGA8 (2010) with an EMG808x pickup on the bridge. It sounds great. If you're interested I could sell you it for pretty decent price?

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Although people love BNK here, don't throw other brands out the window. How about Lace? They make some cool pups, Tom Drinkwater on here seems to be the Guru of all things lace and is a pretty baller guitar builder. I'd shoot him a PM about them and see if they are up your ally.

Although I have not used Dimarzio, people love them enough around here and in general to make sure they are candidates as well.

Finally. Got cash to burn? Tired of you money? The M7 is here and ready for action! :lol:

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
see I was wondering do I stick with DiMarzio's? I've heard mixed reviews of the D-Activators but that's only in 6 stringers, I like a bit of mids in my tone and not too much bass, the other worry is will my amp be able to cope with the 8th string? (it's a Laney LC50)

The LC 50 will do fine. My LC30 sounds good with my agile 8.