First guitar build (Steinberger content)

• Thread starter sytraxiplague
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I recently bought an old Steinberger body off of Ebay...

..And I've been keeping a Tumblog of the progress. I've been trying to keep track of how many days and hours total that are put into it. Everything is turning out great so far. Beware though; I took a beautiful factory finish and completely demolished it hehe :noplease:

Here's a link: Reflections

Here's the Flickr photostream. Lots of extra pics in here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26586633@N08/

The artist's DeviantArt page: http://sytraxia.deviantart.com/

And here are a few photos by themselves. The descriptions/progress report is on the Tumblr page itself though. So are the super high res versions of the pics. Hopefully you guys like abstract art!

5888122198_91110259f5_b.jpg

5888126298_5890e7e8aa_b.jpg

(By the way, I only taped this lonely section because I wanted to have small bits of the original finish viewable by me only heh)

5887571441_28bd701377_b.jpg

My first time spray painting anything, ever! I was so pleased with how this base coat came out. No runs, no blotches. Awesome.

5888147936_a1528d5dda_b.jpg

5887589157_6b360149fb_b.jpg

5888154212_8b5c91ac16_b.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zei

Reaction score
Following on tumblr :D

it's looking really nice so far. Looking forward to the progress!

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Cool- it looks like you shot it with a paintball gun- be careful how thick you go though- globs will ruin your chances of a smooth clearcoat- it had a nice grain for staining but the aqua-burst wasn't cutting it- keep posting! Check out my swirl work thread for some abstract art!

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
Yes, yes, yes and yes and then yes again and a little more. I've been wanting to do the same exact thing.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for all the positive feedback! Glad you guys like it.

And I'm aware of the "bumpy" clear coat finish. I'm not really worried about it as long as it's smooth and there's no runs. It doesn't have to be flat.

Also I forgot to give credit for the painter! My uncle is doing the artwork. Some of it's probably NSFW though haha. Most of it should be fine though. Hope you enjoy! I'll keep everyone up to date as the progress continues!

B-lebs

Reaction score
Glad someone else on the forum got it. I wanted to pick that up, but went camping when the auction ended. Looks great so far.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Are the pictures broken for everyone else? I don't know what's wrong with it..

Edit..

So apparently Tumblr rotates its links every week or so. So I have to put fresh links on here every so often lol.. That's convenient.

The front was started last night and it's looking great! He's starting to do some detail work now. Pic will be up in a couple minutes.

Edit 2.

Just made a Flickr account. I was going to leave out some photos and only give the best ones. But I have tons of them from the process, so maybe you guys will enjoy the full experience. This should make all of this a bit easier.

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
i REALLY like the direction of that paint job! very awesome, excited to see it finished :yesway:

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
You better clear coat the shit out of that if you want to keep it looking that good. :yesway:

Mukersman

Reaction score
That's the coolest looking cameltoecaster I've ever seen.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
any chance you were inspired by Paul Masvidals Stein?
Hahaha. I love Cynic and Paul, but that's honestly not what I was going for. I've always loved that painted one though. That thing is bad ass.

Mine will look more or less like a real painting when it's done, rather than paint smears. Somehow I have a feeling it's going to take a bit longer than expected haha. But that's okay. Quality over speed IMO. :agreed:

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Update on the painting in first post.

Edit: Nevermind. I guess after a certain amount of edits you can't. So it's down here...

5898784741_2bc6b3745c_b.jpg

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn dude. thats like a bob ross painting. Every time i watch bob paint, it looks like its gonna be a fucked up clusterfuck, then at the last second he comes in with a few key strokes and makes the thing into a masterpeice. its looking very cool with the progress. how excatly are you doing the dots?

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Damn dude. thats like a bob ross painting. Every time i watch bob paint, it looks like its gonna be a fucked up clusterfuck, then at the last second he comes in with a few key strokes and makes the thing into a masterpeice. its looking very cool with the progress. how excatly are you doing the dots?
He's doing it very precisely with a very fine tip brush haha. Very tedious work. It's taken quite a few hours just on this section.