First NBD in almost 10 years and first 5 string ever (also need some info)

broj15

Reaction score
So I've been out of the bass game for a while, but after over a year of being a full time bassist (and using my vocalist's affinity p/j) I decided to take the plunge and buy my first bass in almost 10 years. The guitarist in my band just bought a squier baritone jazzmaster (30" scale) tuned in drop A so I figured I'd invest in a decent 5 string so I could match his low end without sacrificing the ability to play fills in the upper range.

So I decided to buy this used 5 string Peavey Dyna bass.
It's in need of a set up and a few sharp fret ends that need filed, but the frets surprisingly have very little wear considering it's age and the body only has a couple small nicks. As someone who has spent most of thier life as musician on six string guitars and 4 string basses the move from 4 to 5 strings has been pretty easy. The neck is super thin and not too wide, but the strings spacing isn't too narrow either.

IMG-20190204-013500.jpg

IMG-20190204-013511.jpg

IMG-20190204-013523.jpg

According to the serial number among other things it looks like it's a later production year (1994 I'm pretty sure). It's hard to find specs on this and it looks like there were a few incarnations of the Dyna bass.
One with a painted bolt on neck, 4+1 headstock, pointy headstock with pin striping and the old Peavey logo, single coil super ferrite pups, and a 5 knob control scheme.
The TL which had neck through construction and Schaller made p/j pickups.
The version I have with the soapbar pickups and script logo on the headstock.
There's also a version that came later in the life cycle with same specs as mine but with the Peavey block letter logo on the headstock. Apparently these had pretty low production numbers and we're quickly replaced by the cirrus bass.

I'm mainly looking for specs so I can figure out what kind of pickups these are (humbuckers, single coils, etc?). It has an active preamp, but that's not really something I need or want in a bass. I prefer simpler more straight forward control layouts so there's less variables that could go wrong in a live setting. It does have a switch that bypasses the preamp in case of a battery failure, which leads me to believe the pickups themselves are passive. If that's the case, would it be possible to wire the guitar with a vol/vol/tone control layout and just take the preamp out? Or even possibly repurpose the bypass switch as a pickup selector or, better yet, a kill switch?

Also whats on the market for good 5 string bass pickups these days? Like I said, I've been oitoof the loop for bass gear for a long time, and am evenemore oblivious when it comes to 5+ strings. It looks like the housing dimensions measure 3 3/4" x 1 3/8", not including the mounting screws. I'll be tuned in drop A, and my main priorities are note definition in the low end and the ability to really cut through the mix.

Anyways, enjoy the pics, and if you can help answer any of those questions it would be much appreciated as always.

broj15

Reaction score
Thanks! That helps a ton

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broj15

Reaction score
welcome to the Peavey Kvlt
This is my first Peavey instrument I've actually owned, but I've been a big fan of thier amps for a while now. Honestly, Its a shame they aren't putting out affordable MIA guitars and basses anymore. For what I paid for it this thing rips pretty hard.

broj15

Reaction score
Well I just got this thing back from the shop after being set up and had my first real practice with it. It plays pretty much perfectly imo. My only complaint is that it does have a little bit of neck dive, but that's probably on account of the poplar body. Either way it's not super bad and I don't feel like I have to fight to keep it up when I'm playing.

This is my first bass with actives electronics and/or humbuckers, and while I'm not a fan of "complicated" control layouts I think I'm gonna leave everything as it is. This bass just sounds so good as is and I don't wanna do anything that could potentially change that.

Also, just wanna take a sec to appreciate the guys at the shop I take my stuff to. This thing had some sharp and protruding fret ends when I bought it. Not sure of it was like that from the factory or if it's just happened with the wood expanding/contracting over the years. However when I picked it up all the fret ends had been perfectly rounded off, smoothed out and polished. Not sure if other luthiers or techs include that in a basic set up, but if not they probably should.

Last edited:

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Pointy logo Peavey FTW. My my mainly/only bass since 2005 has been a Peavey Cirrus 5. It's seeing some fretwear on the low B-string frets from all the br00ts (and strictly steal strings).