First post / noob questions

• Thread starter burritosaurus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

burritosaurus

Reaction score
in 2004 i went to college as a classical guitar major.
idgaf about being a classical guitarist, and my instructor was a total asshole.
anyway, i haven't actually *enjoyed* playing guitar since then, and almost entirely stopped a few years ago.

1) how does someone *rediscover* their passion for guitar?
2) what's some good stuff to learn to play on a 7 string guitar? i bought one recently (relatively speaking), and don't really know where to begin.

i'm thinking something along the lines of metal btw.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nic0us

Reaction score
1) For me it has been always been like a huge interest to play guitar and still I'm really interested after playing 6 and half years. So it's hard to answer that question.

2) Let's start about what kind of music you listen?

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
1) I am a percussion major and lost passion for it hence the guitar playing. But it is hard to discover your passion again imo. Just do not force yourself to enjoy it, just slowly get back into it and remember why you began playing in the first place. for the enjoyment man, for the music.

2) 7 string wise, everything and anything man. Just as stated depends on what you listen to.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Take some 6 string stuff and orientate it to the 7th string. That way you'll see the use of the extended range not just to play low low low but to reach 6 string range and higher than you would in one position on a 6. You have an extra position within your reach. It can be quite liberating.

StratoJazz

Reaction score
1. I'd say that you should go back to the initial moment that inspired you in the first place. Chances are, you will find your passion again.

I can relate to your experience. I'm currently attending a college as a music major and I will admit that some of my instructors have drained me of the passion that I had for the instrument. Of course things like shredding, virtuoso guitar, and other things are not things that are valued in a world of virtuoso sax, trumpet, bass, drummers etc.

I had to realize that i went to school to become a fusion guitarist. Learning how to play jazz was a necessary part of working towards my ultimate goal. I also found along the way, that playing over tunes like Minority and Lazy Bird is fun.

But i digress, just find out what it was that inspired you in the first place.

2. Take heed of what Solodini has suggested. Provided you aren't going to retune each string, it's going to be pretty similar to regular six string. I'd recommend if you are going to be walking bass lines or playing solo music that you use a Drop A tuning. The extra fifth between the lowest 2 strings makes it so that all of your chord voicings off the 5th string contain the same root off the 7th string.

Hope this has helped you man.

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
Here are A few suggestions, pick what you think will work for you :)

Play something completely different, choose A new genre, dont worry about being good at it or bad at it just have fun with it. If you're not having fun with it stop for the day and come back tomorrow (or later if you feel you want to).

Find some way to remove yourself from you comfort zone, and learn new things.

Find out what about music you enjoy and go back to that, I.e playing live, writing your own material, improvising etc.

For songs, if you want something simple to rock out to maybe something by Epica? (i dont really know what your sound is)

Something a little more complicated, Dream theater? (im learning A few of their songs myself actually :D)

ChronicConsumer

Reaction score
I don't own a seven, but here's some songs that make me wish I did.
Dark Eternal Night by Dream Theater
Ocean Gateways by Obscura
pretty much anything by Jeff Loomis
Parasites of Paradise by Mors Principium Est (I know they play in D standard, but I kinda get the idea they used a seven for songs like these).

piggins411

Reaction score
Scale the Summit has great material for seven strings, especially stuff off of The Collective

brector

Reaction score
1) I am a percussion major and lost passion for it hence the guitar playing. But it is hard to discover your passion again imo. Just do not force yourself to enjoy it, just slowly get back into it and remember why you began playing in the first place. for the enjoyment man, for the music.

This for sure! I quit playing for about 16 years (played and took lessons for about 5 years when I was younger) and now I am playing just because it makes me happy. Not because I want to be a star or impress someone, just because it makes me happy.

-Brian

burritosaurus

Reaction score
thanks guys!
i love shredding and some of that djent stuff too. but to familiarize myself with an extra string, decided to practice a 3 octave major scale. technique and muscle memory by repetition.

ironically enough, one of my tubes blew on the amp the same night. oh well, good thing there are backups. i think that tube was long past its prime.
thanks again!

gandalf

Reaction score
Hey man, I hope that you will find the passion again ! My own experience is that I dont have too strict goals and plans as to what has to happen regarding my music and stuff and just play.... then I get much more passionate about playing and practicing. That being said... you can still have goals and plans but in my experienceit helps to NOT have specific dates on goals regarding guitar and even if you do this, then its just very imprortant that you dont get discouraged if the goal does not come true by this date. Just continue play and enjoy. For me I really rediscovered the love for the instrument when I stopped all the planning and funny enough I made bigger improvements on my compositions and playing. Now that´s what I call Magical ;)

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
:welcome:

I went through a similar thing you did. I practiced for about 4 years non stop, then when I started university, I lost the spark. Didn't pick a guitar up for about 3 years until I heard Devin Townsend's stuff. After that, I started messing around with alternate tunings, started listening to different stuff and lo and behold, I'm enjoying it again!

In playing an instrument, you've got a skill that a lot of people wish they had, don't go giving it up that easy. You'll find your feet again someday :hbang:

TankJon666

Reaction score
in 2004 i went to college as a classical guitar major.
idgaf about being a classical guitarist, and my instructor was a total asshole.
anyway, i haven't actually *enjoyed* playing guitar since then, and almost entirely stopped a few years ago.

1) how does someone *rediscover* their passion for guitar?
2) what's some good stuff to learn to play on a 7 string guitar? i bought one recently (relatively speaking), and don't really know where to begin.

i'm thinking something along the lines of metal btw.

I know what you mean. I tried learning to play the cello when I was about 12 and the tutor was a complete dick dribble and was pretty much the sole reason I stopped playing.

Anyway. I would say jamming along to some of your favorite tracks, writing original stuff and perhaps joining a band might get back your love of guitar.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
1.live music/hang out with some local musicians? when i didnt have a guitar for a few years(gear stolen) and i was around someone playing.... man that reminded me thats what i use to do, i need one again!:agreed:

2.Within the ruins is an interesting metal band(if u like metal), they seem to play a lot of melodies/scales i normally dont hear in "heavy" music. btw the vocals are genericaly terrible.....:(

mikemueller2112

Reaction score
I had a very similar thing happen to me. I went to uni for music and was basically told I would have to learn classical. Seemed okay at the time but it really wasn't what I was looking for (jazz program would have been better, I should have moved, but whatever). I lost interest in guitar and pretty much stopped playing for 2-3 years. Last year I started playing again casually doing blues jams with a friend, that sort of re-kindled my interest. I joined up playing bass with a buddy of mine in a metalcore band and one of the guitarists was pretty far from being considered good. That sort of got me going again on playing metal/shred guitar. I've progressed a lot in the last year (had to relearn so many things it was sad) but I'm glad the love is there again.

Browsing music/guitar forums helps keep the interest there as well. I get really sidetracked mentally off of things I want to do, so if I'm away from a guitar, I try to read up on things that keep the passion there (magazines, internet, etc.).

tl,dl; basically started playing with other people and it re-fueled the fire.

burritosaurus

Reaction score
I had a very similar thing happen to me. I went to uni for music and was basically told I would have to learn classical. Seemed okay at the time but it really wasn't what I was looking for (jazz program would have been better, I should have moved, but whatever). I lost interest in guitar and pretty much stopped playing for 2-3 years. Last year I started playing again casually doing blues jams with a friend, that sort of re-kindled my interest. I joined up playing bass with a buddy of mine in a metalcore band and one of the guitarists was pretty far from being considered good. That sort of got me going again on playing metal/shred guitar. I've progressed a lot in the last year (had to relearn so many things it was sad) but I'm glad the love is there again.

Browsing music/guitar forums helps keep the interest there as well. I get really sidetracked mentally off of things I want to do, so if I'm away from a guitar, I try to read up on things that keep the passion there (magazines, internet, etc.).

tl,dl; basically started playing with other people and it re-fueled the fire.

toooootally gotcha on that. music forums do seem to help. thanks.

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
we've all been there man. I was forced into classical spanish and flamenco guitar when I was around 10 years old. I lost passion for the guitar very quickly. Then around 1997 I was in grade 7 and just discovered Nirvana. I know they're hated for killing so many genre's but they got me into music.

I soon discovered metallica and slayer and never turned back. However after highschool when nu metal was dying down I put up the guitar and didn't touch it at all during college. Near the end I came across Blackwaterpark-by opeth and I had a new found love for both acoustic and electric guitar.

Start with songs you like and take a relatively easy song to learn. Start learning it from start to finish and work our a regular practice regime that incorporates that song and exercises to build finger strenght and muslce memory.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
1. I have no passion for the guitar. It's an exceedingly inflexible instrument, despite its flexibility. I wish I could play the piano or some woodwind. :lol:

2. Stéphan Forté is pretty much the reason I'm on this board. I've grown out of that phase since then, but the guy writes some badass music (although his lyrics get pretty cheesy).

Stéphan Forté - The Prophecies Of Loki

Adagio - The Inner Road

Adagio - Underworld

Adagio - Children Of The Dead Lake

Adagio - Twilight At Dawn