First Sevenstring guitar

• Thread starter DH46
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DH46

Reaction score
Hey

I've been looking into the prospect of getting a sevenstring guitar in the next few months and was looking for some advice as to what to look out for.

I'd rather by used so i can get a much better guitar for my money and i'd like to not spend more than £500 if thats possible.

Any help appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
Second hand Japanese Ibanez RG is usually a good pick for starting out. I don't know what the second hand market is like in the UK though.

DH46

Reaction score
Not sure what its like actually but i'd imagine it's ok in london where i am. Yeah i'm keeping my eyes peeled for something like a rg1527 etc, was more wondering what other brands i should look out for for a similar price

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Ibbys are great to start on.

And herein lies the problem; find yourself a used Carvin or Mayones. If a guitar is a good one to start on, it might not grow with you. But if you can drop a LITTLE more cash up front, you won't go through 30 cheap guitars before you finally get that nice guitar that you won't replace every few months or year.

My first 7-banger was an Ibanez RG7321 and yes; it's a good STARTING 7-string. One of the upsides to cheap axes like that is that you can modify them without any remorse cause even if you dick it up, you only spent a couple hundy on it.

God luck in your search. Check Craigslist for a Carvin - or even a higher end Ibby. Carvin has a 7-string DC727 in stock right now that's only like $900 USD, so not far beyond your $500 GBP mark... If you got a parent or sibling or sugah mama that can lend you the extra, there's no reason not to go for it.

Cheers, mate!

9unslin9er

Reaction score
It really depends on what guitars you've grown used to playing, and what style of music you'll be playing.

Are you a Strat player? Les Paul/Explorer player? Ibanez RG/S player?

Are you going to be playing songs mostly in standard tuning? Or are you going to be downtuning?

Ibanez, ESP, Jackson, and Schecter (to name a few) all have instruments in the budget you stated, and all have amazing intermediate instruments at that price point, but they feel drastically different.

vbvxnnczhuang

Banned
Reaction score
Find you a good ibby
hu10d.jpg

seven-eleven

Reaction score
I agree with 9unslin9er go with what your used to but
Don't rule out other guitars.

I was playing an Ibanez a 90s rg570 Mij before
I got my first 7 string and ended up getting a esp
Ltd Sc-607 I had never played an esp before and
Just fell in love with the neck after this I realised I
Prefered the esp 6 strings aswell.

I guess what I'm trying to Say is if you have only really played a couple of different guitars go to a few stores
And try a heap of different styles and find what fits you.

mb_777

Reaction score
Not sure what its like actually but i'd imagine it's ok in london where i am. Yeah i'm keeping my eyes peeled for something like a rg1527 etc, was more wondering what other brands i should look out for for a similar price

I know this isn't the place... but I have a 1527 w/ EMG 707s for sale.

I'm only selling because my flat is tiny and I own too many guitars... I love this guitar to pieces, it was my first seven. PM me for more details if you're interested, I can also send you photos.

Latest posts