First time playing out in nearly two years... who else?

• Thread starter wheresthefbomb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I'm playing my first proper show since Halloween 2019 this weekend. I took a break a little after that, and then quarantine happened. I did a FB livestream thing last summer (sound sucked big time, nobody else noticed/cared but after I heard what it sounded like I couldn't do anymore) and played for a few people in my living room, but hardly the same energy.

I'm excited because it's been a long time, the longest I've gone without performing in a good 10 years. I've got a lot of new material and I'm guessing everyone else does too, really looking forward to being part of that excitement.

How about it, who else is dusting off the ol' road case?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Nice man, I’m jealous. The last show we played was in Feb 2020 with Gorod. I thought I was joking at the time when I said that could be my last show and I’d be okay with it; but then everything shut down a few days later and my band basically dissolved after that. It hasn’t officially ended, but we haven’t played or even practiced in well over a year, so it’s essentially done.

I still jam with my drummer somewhat frequently, so I’m sure we’ll put something new together and get out to play some shows.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
First one since February of last year in a couple of weeks. I'm stoked. I don't know what happened during the pandemic, but the promoters around here are offering decent money for locals and I haven't had to argue a guarantee for the other few shows I have booked for the summer, so that's cool. Can't wait to get back on stage.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
First one since February of last year in a couple of weeks. I'm stoked. I don't know what happened during the pandemic, but the promoters around here are offering decent money for locals and I haven't had to argue a guarantee for the other few shows I have booked for the summer, so that's cool. Can't wait to get back on stage.

Glad to hear it! I can relate. It's been feeling like I'm missing a part of myself.

My guess with the money thing is it's part inflation, and part that there's simply a high demand for live entertainment right now because of quarantine. Bars and restaurants around here seem to be thriving compared to 6 months ago, so I'd guess there's generally more money around, at least for them. We'll see how long that lasts.

I got to play on top of a dome near my house. The people who put it on built a stage and everything, pretty impressive setup. Everyone else got dumped on but the weather cleared up nicely for me:

199377689_982137932613106_5893869494715236814_n.jpg

mongey

Reaction score
I actually looked up when my last one was the other day . Just over 7 years ago before my daughter was born . kinda depressing

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
My last show was in June or July 2020, during a brief time in between two strict lockdowns.

They were seated shows with a limited capacity, but at least I can now say my band played a sold out show :lol:.

Next show should be in either August or beginning of September, very stoked.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Last “gig” was last summer. We set up on one of the band member’s driveway and did a COVID concert for the neighbourhood.

I moved after that last gig so I don’t have anything slated. Hard to find a new band when everyone is keeping their distance.

Semi-pro

Reaction score
My band played one gig in 2020 fall. Of all gigs that one happened to be our album release party and everyone had fun despite the limited capacity (which ended when the bands had played and the venue was an open bar for everyone and not a "event". Suddenly it's ok to squeeze in twice the amount of ppl the same night. Stupid legilations!)

4 weeks from now we're gonna play our only booked show for this year, which'll actually be a sold out festival, which is nice!

Gootta admit that I'm a little terrified each time I pick up the guitar and try to memorize the songs :lol:

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I have another gig tomorrow at the University Pub. Still Covid protocols, masks except while sitting/drinking. Campus is 100% masks required and working on vaccine mandates.

I'm being paid a (very generous) flat rate. This will be my highest-grossing gig to date even after I pay out my buddy who is opening, so that's a cool little milestone.

I know nobody who posts here is in my area, but I'm really proud of the flier I made for this show. It was an old Marb ad originally. I found the Marb font online and it all came together pretty quickly after that.

256668156_601568911039187_2267661765904248888_n.png

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I have another gig tomorrow at the University Pub. Still Covid protocols, masks except while sitting/drinking. Campus is 100% masks required and working on vaccine mandates.

I'm being paid a (very generous) flat rate. This will be my highest-grossing gig to date even after I pay out my buddy who is opening, so that's a cool little milestone.

I know nobody who posts here is in my area, but I'm really proud of the flier I made for this show. It was an old Marb ad originally. I found the Marb font online and it all came together pretty quickly after that.

256668156_601568911039187_2267661765904248888_n.png
Good shit man, good luck! I dig the punk show flyer, I miss those.

sleewell

Reaction score
I'll have to come see you guys, I'm in "south detroit" AKA Toledo and our local scene died with covid. Like killed it dead, everyone sold their shit and quit. I can't make it this time, but keep these flyers up I'll come out.

hell yea bro, we will be in Detroit soon I am sure. I know what you mean though. covid killed 2 of our best local venues so really the only option for us is out of town shows which are fun but you dont get as many of your local people coming out bc not everyone wants a long drive home when they are drunk.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
2 shows this weekend!

256002093_928930227755387_7113907540357292350_n.jpg

256017392_928930257755384_8187816103669569038_n.jpg

I'll have to come see you guys, I'm in "south detroit" AKA Toledo and our local scene died with covid. Like killed it dead, everyone sold their shit and quit. I can't make it this time, but keep these flyers up I'll come out.

I lived in Bowling Green, Ohio for two years with the band I was in back in 2015-17, we never made it quite that far north but did play at Frankie's in Toledo. I have some friends in the area, I'll have to send them your flyers.

I'm happy this is turning into the "post your flyers and talk about playing shows" thread.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I lived in Bowling Green, Ohio for two years with the band I was in back in 2015-17, we never made it quite that far north but did play at Frankie's in Toledo. I have some friends in the area, I'll have to send them your flyers.

I'm happy this is turning into the "post your flyers and talk about playing shows" thread.
nice man! My dad is a BG Alumni, and I used to practically live at Frankies during the first iteration of it before it closed/reopened, same with Howards Club H in BG, very cool man!

I live in Toledo proper by the way, no one ever knows where it is when I say Toledo so I always say "South Detroit" lol

Last edited:

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
nice man! My dad is a BG Alumni, and I used to practically live at Frankies during the first iteration of it before it closed/reopened, same with Howards Club H in BG, very cool man!

Howard's was our "home town dive bar away from home." We played there dozens of times and I ended up working there a bunch too. I left right before they did all the recent renovations. This picture was a couple months before then, you can see the old Howard's sign had been taken down and someone had scrawled it onto the blank space in sharpie hahaha.

257733378_588460545761679_5963709428793818668_n.jpg