Floating Bridge Tuning Help.

• Thread starter iRaiseTheDead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
So today my girlfriend brought over my Ibanez RG320dx, all day I was trying to screw around with the tuning. I had a pad of paper underneath the tremolo to have it "float" but as soon as I got all of my string tuned to Drop C, and removed the paper they all went back to Eb tuning (I'm guessing stock tuning). Someone please help me out.

Oh and I somehow managed to get it to Drop D (just tuning the E string down) and I played a little then one string dropped like 4 notes lower and I tuned it back up and the rest went down. I need serious help.

Thanks so much!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OwainXerath

Player of Notes
Reaction score
If you take off the backplate there should be 2 screws and a couple of springs. The way I set up my trem is put a AAA battery under the trem so it's level, tune up, then adjust the screws until it returns to normal pitch. You may need to fine tune after that, but I hope this helps you out. Any questions just ask

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
You need to adjust the spring claw as Owain said. The tension generated by springs has to be balanced by tension generated from strings to achieve a level trem. As spring tension is a function of displacement and stiffness, you control the displacement to get different force levels.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I tried this and broke a string =/ and it didnt stay tuned either :,(

When you tighten the trem claw it lowers the bridge, DO NOT have the strings in tune when you do this. Do it incrementally, 1/2 a turn , retune, check level. You have to tune a floyd a few times to get it level and to hold tune as you have to achieve equilibrium. When you tune a string, it pulls harder, moves the bridge up, other strings slacken.

A floyd setup looks like this

1) block bridge level
2) change strings
3) tune to pitch
4) remove block
5) retune to pitck (may take a few tries)
6) check bridge level)
7) if bridge is level you are done
8) if not level, slacken strings a bit, and if bridge is tilted up (at rear), tighten trem claw, tilted down loosen trem claw (if you don't go crazy and try to adjust too far you might not need to slacken the strings, a little goes a long way, usually 1/4-1/2 a turn is my standard.)
9) repeat steps 5-8 until complete.

You really need to understand what happens as you go through this, When you tightened the claw with strings at pitch, you are going to increase the tension on the strings, as you are pulling them back. The springs will deform and match this, but strings are much weaker and will break. Floyd rose bridges, are a static equilibrium problem with a spring boundary (for physics kids). A lot of people don't like setting up floyds as it 'takes too long' but with practice it becomes simple and quick. Like any system you just have to know the ins and outs. That aside intonation is the real fun part to these bridge (insert sarcasm here). You need to remove tension from the string, adjust saddle, retune, check intonation, repeat. (or have an OFR and a nifty tool like 'the key', I finally have one incoming.)

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
I'm suprised MaxofMetal didn't replied here.. he had some nice pics to explain things a bit more.. so sen him a PM, he is the lord and master over every floating trem ;-)

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess pics would be useful for some, I just have never taken any. I will be changing a sustain block soon so maybe I will photo document it for green folks to look over.

Latest posts