Floppy B-string

• Thread starter YouAreAwesome
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

YouAreAwesome

Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't use my sevenstring (Ibanez RG7321) as much as I would like because of a floppy B-string. With a good riff/gallop it just is all over the place (in normal tuning, if I downtune it just gets worse). I had it setup by a luthier when I bought it and had him install new pickups. I think it has .11 strings on it, but I remember he had the B-string from a different set. I know, I should have asked him right away but didn't. I really am not a skillfull person when it comes to setting up a guitar, what can I do myself to resolve this without spending money on a luthier or new strings again? BTW: the other strings are ok (although I notice I really like "tighter" strings, but they are good enough).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't use my sevenstring (Ibanez RG7321) as much as I would like because of a floppy B-string. With a good riff/gallop it just is all over the place (in normal tuning, if I downtune it just gets worse). I had it setup by a luthier when I bought it and had him install new pickups. I think it has .11 strings on it, but I remember he had the B-string from a different set. I know, I should have asked him right away but didn't. I really am not a skillfull person when it comes to setting up a guitar, what can I do myself to resolve this without spending money on a luthier or new strings again? BTW: the other strings are ok (although I notice I really like "tighter" strings, but they are good enough).

If techs/luthiers aren't particularly fond of 7 strings, they never actually learn anything more than what they think is enough in their heads.

First of all, ask him what gauge that single 7th string was. Then see if you can find a thicker one in a store.

Otherwise, consider ordering online a string set with a thicker 7th string, or buying your favorite 6 string set and getting a single thicker string for the 7th. It's gonna be a tad pricier, but it's worth it.

I think this is a good place to order strings that you can't find in local stores for Europe Guitar strings, Bass Strings & Accessories

YouAreAwesome

Reaction score
So higher gauge is the best solution? Because restringing I can do, then I'll just buy a whole new set. I want to try .12 ones, what would be a good choice?

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
You have no reason to get higher gauges for the rest of the strings. It's perfectly possible to have 9s or 10s and a heavier bottom string. Personally I find 11s already too much for standard tuning, but it's a matter of taste. Just get a heavier single 7th string and keep the rest of the 6 strings in whatever string gauge suits you best, not whatever string set has the heavier bottom string.

WiseSplinter

Reaction score

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Buy a single. The match for 10-46 is a 62 - go up from there if you prefer heavier than 10-46

YouAreAwesome

Reaction score
Thans guys! I'll look into the single string but will also consider the set as wisesplinter said.

So its normal that this happens and a heavier 7th string is needed I guess? Is there a common gauge for it or is all a matter of taste?

Cuz I seem to prefer heavier gauge overall, or am I somehow kidding myself and should I stick to .12?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
In my experience, a lot of techs who don't know any better will just add 0.010" to the low e to make a low b. What I mean is they might string your guitar 0.010-0.046", then put a .056" for a low b, which is frankly way too loose to match the tension of the other strings. I've seen techs where I used to work grab a 0.054" or a .052", even, if a .056" wasn't handy. For a set of super light 009's, I typically use a .059" for a b to get an acceptable tension for a lighter touch. If you play heavy handed, then a thicker gauge is preferable.

-
Hi Don! I'm a big fan of D'Addario's and Planet Waves as well. I, personally, appreciate the technical expertise of the company. Just thought I would take a moment to offer kudos.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
If you like a 10-46 set for standard, add a single 62 OR get the D'addario 13-62 set and a single 10 (same gauges) or add a 68 if you go to drop A.

If you like an 11-48/49 set for standard, add a 64. Add a 72 if you go to drop A.

There's no reason to bump up ALL of the gauges if the 7th string is the only one bothering you.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Personally, I use a 10-13-17-26-36-49-62 D'addario set in standard on my 7, which comes out to about 18 pounds of tension on the wound strings, across the board. Feels amazing, and you barely notice the change in tension on the E string, bumping it up from 46 to the 49, it honestly feels way better.