Floyd rose and palm muting

• Thread starter Georgeclooney5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Georgeclooney5150

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Currently my floyd is blocked and I want it to go back to floating because I want to learn some Pantera and Steve vai songs. Good thing there's some pantera songs on YouTube tune to 440. Anyway, I read online that muting a floyd rose ala Metallica way, the E string will sound or go out of tune. Okay, but Dimebag was a heavy palm mute guy using Light strings tune to 425hz. I'm confused about it because everything a click on Google most articles or players say is an issue but Dimebag didnt. any thoughts on this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Georgeclooney5150

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
why don't you instead just try it and if you don't like it then you change it back hmmmmmm
I will and if I don't like it the only issue will be is that most songs I like use a floating bridge. Can get the rhythm down but the solos damn.

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've never had an issue with palm muting on my Floyds, which are all set to fully float. As suggested, give it a try and if you find that everything is going sharp, then you can either try modifying your technique, or go back to blocking them... or you could get into tuning deliberately flat so that when you mute everything sounds right...

dhgrind

Reaction score
If you can’t palm mute on a Floyd rose you legally have to put your guitar up for sale.

Jk. Just practice dude, it’s really not that hard to palm mute a floating bridge and not throw it out of tune. Unless you’ve got freakishly sensitive ears that can detect a .01 cent detune…

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i mainly play floyds and ive never had palm mutes go out of tune and i pick quite hard. Work on the technique and if you are pushing the side of your palm down hard enough to change the tuning of the strings, you are pushing way too hard. For me, i am more "resting" the side of my palm on the bridge and not pushing, if that makes sense. A lot of the picking power comes from the wrist anyways.

silbbu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's just an issue of where your arm rests on the strings and how much force you're using. Moving your palm muting hand towards the neck just a tiny amount can make a huge difference.

tedtan

Reaction score
It's just an issue of where your arm rests on the strings and how much force you're using. Moving your palm muting hand towards the neck just a tiny amount can make a huge difference.
Do this and don’t push down on the strings and you shouldn’t have any issues with tuning.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I've NEVER had to adjust my palm muting on my Floyd guitars any differently than any fixed bridge guitar I've ever had. No, it won't go sharp unless you are seriously pushing your palm down on the bridge with excessive force. And if you're doing that you're not playing properly and need to fix your technique cause you'll be giving yourself tendonitis anyhow.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Bad picking makes the string go out of tune way more than a properly dialed trem will.

Don't bother sweating it at this point.

Don't compare yourself to Dimebag, either. You'll be much happier.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
I played Floyds for years and never had an issue palm muting. I wouldn't worry about it.