Ford Guitars. Waylons new company...

W4D

Bass Player
Contributor
Reaction score
So what's going on with Halo, then? I'm a little skeptical that you moved a large portion of the company to your hometown, way far away from your partner's home town, incurred all of the costs with that move, and then bailed on the company when things went south. The saying isn't "When the going gets tough, the tough leave and set up a new company." If your former partner is totally cool with this, more power to you, but from the outside this looks like a lack of loyalty and integrity. And that is never a good foundation for customer service and quality.

Everything is cool with my split from the company.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

W4D

Bass Player
Contributor
Reaction score
ya know, its one thing to make a mistake. sure. but have you seen that halo with the bridge issue? someone posted it a while ago. they got an octavia i believe, that didnt eveh have holes drilled through the body, they just put the hardtail bridge on with out putting the strings through the body. some asshole had to litterally string up the hardtail bridge and purposly, and knowing that it was completely improper, and screwed it down. No holes, no ferrules.

in my book, your either totally incompetent, or a shady fuck. but thats my opinion. Dont like it? You dont have to, its fine with me.

For the record. I did not build any of the guitars that you all have had issues with. My deal with HALO was that I did the design, the marketing, and the sales.

Me starting this new company is a way for me to bring to everyone the guitars I have always wanted, and to be in charge of every aspect and personally in charge of not only the design, the marketing, the sales but also the build and the quality control. You will see no such mistakes on any of my guitars.

That is a promise.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
:squint:

Damn give the guy a break. this is why he doesn't come on his site anymore.

So by that you're saying keep it up? I get the feeling a lot of folks on here would be more than okay with that.... :shrug: You can't sit with a crap company for years and then once they've earned a terrible name for themselves, try to distance yourself from said company by starting a new one with the same designs. :rofl: That headstock is 99% the same as the halo ones so not only is it starting out looking pretty poorly (IMO) but with the track record that Halo showed I wouldn't be jumping for joy at this one just because he's promising "this time it will be different you guys!!!!" as I recall seeing him post the same thing in many of the "HELP! My Halo is fucked!!! :(" threads as well. :2c:

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll just be interested to see if Waylon turns out some good product. That V actually looks interesting from a "metal shapes" perspective IMO. I do think skepticism has been earned though.

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
However, I am not alone in having been treated decidedly poorly by Waylon in his Halo days.
He's a friendly chap to talk to, but you can't trust him to get anything done right... or at all, for that matter. Long story short: I would NEVER send money his way again and I invite people considering to do so to PM me beforehand and I'll tell my Waylon story.

Unfortunately I also found this out the hard way. And in my case, it didn't even involve purchasing a guitar from him or Halo. To respect the wishes of a certain member on this forum, I won't publicly go into detail about what happened. But I definitely would never do business with him on principle alone.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
I don't. Someone hit the nail right on the head in the other thread. It's a clean slate that a lot of people don't think you deserve and I'm going to treat your new company the same way as I treat Halo- with little to no respect.

Sorry, but you screwed yourself at Halo.

Get some fucking manners. There are more polite ways to say what you said and you just come across as twelve again. Who on earth gave you a computer?

I'm waiting with interest for Waylon's stuff. I had little time for Halo - I cannot stand 'metal' guitars but the tele design looks pretty cool if they manage to get rid of the pointy bridge and make it a bit more modern, organic looking as it's definitely got elements of it already.

How many people played a guitar actually made by Waylon, and how many people saw pictures of the Korean monstrosities and Chinese 'customs' and are working off that? Obviously, there were some serious errors over at Halo...but perhaps thats why he left?

Hell, fingers crossed. More nice guitars can only be a good thing...I just hope Waylon can deliver. :)

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Get some fucking manners. There are more polite ways to say what you said and you just come across as twelve again. Who on earth gave you a computer?

I'm waiting with interest for Waylon's stuff. I had little time for Halo - I cannot stand 'metal' guitars but the tele design looks pretty cool if they manage to get rid of the pointy bridge and make it a bit more modern, organic looking as it's definitely got elements of it already.

How many people played a guitar actually made by Waylon, and how many people saw pictures of the Korean monstrosities and Chinese 'customs' and are working off that? Obviously, there were some serious errors over at Halo...but perhaps thats why he left?

Hell, fingers crossed. More nice guitars can only be a good thing...I just hope Waylon can deliver. :)

A much more elaborated and better version of what I had in mind, thanks for this post man :yesway:

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score

Not to mention if we wanted to just colour everyone by their past than Thin Ice is nothing but a whiny, attention whoring emo kid :lol:

If you don't want to buy one, then fine, just don't buy one. I'm not in the market for one, but if they got good reviews when he starts releasing some shit and they seem decent quality than I don't see a reason to not buy them :shrug:

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Regardless of whatever reputation Halo might have left him with, can people at least wait until he actually screws something up before sticking the boot into Waylon? Sweet zombie jesus.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hehe sorry he already did screw something up for me. He was building me a seven string strat under his own name at the same time as my Octavia debacle.

No work was done on the guitar after about ten months (at least I was never sent any pics to show any work after several promises that I'd get pics 'in the next couple of days'). At that point I requested a refund and was sent a paypal echeck that after three weeks never cleared and was retracted. A second paypal echeck was sent for a refund with the same result. Then I got a personal check for a refund that BOUNCED. I only FINALLY got my money back (minus the freaking bounced check fee that I never recovered) when I threatened to get a lawyer involved.

Sorry, Waylon is a great guy to bullshit with on the phone and had some cool idea, but I would not go near this company until some people have positive experiences since I was already burned once.

Waylon I wish you luck and hope this turns out well, but you definitely need to prove yourself. On a positive note, that mutant tele design is cool as hell :agreed:

W4D

Bass Player
Contributor
Reaction score
Hehe sorry he already did screw something up for me. He was building me a seven string strat under his own name at the same time as my Octavia debacle.

No work was done on the guitar after about ten months (at least I was never sent any pics to show any work after several promises that I'd get pics 'in the next couple of days'). At that point I requested a refund and was sent a paypal echeck that after three weeks never cleared and was retracted. A second paypal echeck was sent for a refund with the same result. Then I got a personal check for a refund that BOUNCED. I only FINALLY got my money back (minus the freaking bounced check fee that I never recovered) when I threatened to get a lawyer involved.

Sorry, Waylon is a great guy to bullshit with on the phone and had some cool idea, but I would not go near this company until some people have positive experiences since I was already burned once.

Waylon I wish you luck and hope this turns out well, but you definitely need to prove yourself. On a positive note, that mutant tele design is cool as hell :agreed:

FYI - I had no clue that you went through all of those issues with the check. I was never told that. It was refunded through HALO and not from me personally.

As stated this new venture is all me and I will have control of everything and will be happy to update everyone with images and video if requested. Like I said if anyone is in the Houston, Texas area you are more than welcome to come on by and check the place out.

Thanks for the compliment on the mutant tele design. The bridge I am using on it is pretty freakin cool.

Again I am very much thrilled to be doing this new company and it is something to be proud of, no worries who ever is skeptical now will see that the proof is in the pudding.

~Waylon

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Regardless of whatever reputation Halo might have left him with, can people at least wait until he actually screws something up before sticking the boot into Waylon? Sweet zombie jesus.

I'll agree with that in general, but a lot of people here are skeptical because they have been screwed in the past. Personally, I think it's weird for everyone to be bagging on other SSO members who have been screwed by any luthier or company. Since when do you blame the victim? I think it's totally legit for people to be skeptical of a company/person that screwed them. If you don't agree, then fine. But don't tell people who have been screwed to stay quiet. That's just not cool. And it's not cool to the respected luthiers who have earned their reputations. MHO is that for those that have no experience with Halo, you ought not attack or defend anyone else for their opinions.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not telling people with legitimate grievances that they shouldn't be skeptical or that they don't have a right to let people know about their personal experiences with Waylon/Halo. It just annoys me when people who have no real interest or involvement either way feel the need to add their two cents and provoke needless drama. People seem so willing to talk about what a friendly, easy-going forum this is and how it's so much better than everywhere else but whenever the opportunity for a bit of shit-flinging arises they jump at it. Again, this isn't directed at everyone, I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at here.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I'm not telling people with legitimate grievances that they shouldn't be skeptical or that they don't have a right to let people know about their personal experiences with Waylon/Halo. It just annoys me when people who have no real interest or involvement either way feel the need to add their two cents and provoke needless drama. People seem so willing to talk about what a friendly, easy-going forum this is and how it's so much better than everywhere else but whenever the opportunity for a bit of shit-flinging arises they jump at it. Again, this isn't directed at everyone, I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at here.

Well, I'll def agree with you there. It does seem to take very little to get a pile-on going. That being said, I love the generally good nature of people on here. And we all tend to stick on topic on SSO too (except for me -right now:lol:)

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, it's good to see you parting ways with Halo... While skeptical, I guess everybody deserves a second chance.

As a side note, I think the new designs are pretty neat but the headstocks are too Halo for me to do draw distance between these two ventures. :shrug:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
FYI - I had no clue that you went through all of those issues with the check. I was never told that. It was refunded through HALO and not from me personally.

As stated this new venture is all me and I will have control of everything and will be happy to update everyone with images and video if requested. Like I said if anyone is in the Houston, Texas area you are more than welcome to come on by and check the place out.

Thanks for the compliment on the mutant tele design. The bridge I am using on it is pretty freakin cool.

Again I am very much thrilled to be doing this new company and it is something to be proud of, no worries who ever is skeptical now will see that the proof is in the pudding.

~Waylon

The Octavia was refunded by Halo and I had no problems with the refund, the check came and cleared without issue.

The seven string strat was your personal build for me and had nothing to do with Halo. The refund issues were with you personally. The two echecks that were canceled were from the paypal account for W4D Enterprises, your personal company, and the bounced check was a personal check from you signed by you so I'm not sure how you could have not known about it. The final payment when I threatened to pursue the bounced check was also from your W4D paypal account.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
The Octavia was refunded by Halo and I had no problems with the refund, the check came and cleared without issue.

The seven string strat was your personal build for me and had nothing to do with Halo. The refund issues were with you personally. The two echecks that were canceled were from the paypal account for W4D Enterprises, your personal company, and the bounced check was a personal check from you signed by you so I'm not sure how you could have not known about it. The final payment when I threatened to pursue the bounced check was also from your W4D paypal account.

Classic! :lol: I don't want to wish ill on anyone but it's stuff like the above that makes me have my doubts coming out the gate, especially since I remember hearing about this from Steve WHILE it was going on. :noplease:

W4D

Bass Player
Contributor
Reaction score

Okay. Sorry about that. All that honestly had slipt my mind through all the stuff that has been going on since then.

(Allot of personal family drama.) Which is no longer an issue.

I deeply apologize for the mishap and like I said this is a new step and the proof will be in the pudding.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Well, it's good to see you parting ways with Halo... While skeptical, I guess everybody deserves a second chance.

As a side note, I think the new designs are pretty neat but the headstocks are too Halo for me to do draw distance between these two ventures. :shrug:

Yeah, we might want to give Halo a second chance as well, because it would be a pretty big jump to say all the problems with Halo will remain, and all of it's successes will go with Waylon.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
For the record. I did not build any of the guitars that you all have had issues with. My deal with HALO was that I did the design, the marketing, and the sales.

Me starting this new company is a way for me to bring to everyone the guitars I have always wanted, and to be in charge of every aspect and personally in charge of not only the design, the marketing, the sales but also the build and the quality control. You will see no such mistakes on any of my guitars.

That is a promise.

fair enough, but i think that you've tarnished your rep so much around here, that your only going to get business from noobs that havnt heard about the issues. try harmony central