Forum Suggestions Megathread - what do you want?

• Thread starter DDDorian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
We're not currently accepting applications, but if you could forward your resume, cover letter, letters of recommendation, official academic transcripts (both high school and collegiate), and have them notarized, we'll be sure to keep you in mind. ;)

Zimbloth took a sabbatical. He's visiting his Cousin Larry.

hey boober, fuck you and your ninja mod prowess :lol:

:wub:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: Sorry.

EDIT: you took this seriously.

oh and what happened to zimbloth?

:lol: Did you not read my post? :lol:

Any rate, let's keep this on topic, fellers. The likelihood of new mods is very low at this point. But I'm sure if you're good, we, and Alex will keep you in mind. ;)

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use the google one but alot of other forums have the google one as the default search, nitpicky but i'm just sayin.
I remember someone saying this and I honestly think it works great.

When searching in Google type out your search criteria as a cave man would say it.

Eg: You want to search if adimarzio paf pro neck model will work with a RG550.
You type: Dimarzio Paf Pro neck works RG550

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Chat box at top of page I prefer a sidebar but it wouldn't fit the theme of the forum

Syndicated

Stringman
Reaction score
If needed, i can ask Pexi Olkkonen of finnish metal band Stam1na to the interview or Sammy Black from Lovex. Just drop me a PM if interested.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well....one of the best things about this site is that it is a virtual repository of knowledge, I see what you mean, but we shouldn't shun away new members because they forgot to ask the google.

Something worth considering here:

[AJAX] Helpful Answers - Post Rating System (plus many sub-features) - vBulletin.org Forum

I haven't tried it, but the "helpful" post could easily be tailored into "commonly asked question with a good answer".

Also keep in mind that while they were never really used as much as I'd hoped they would, Tags are a great way to narrow down searches as well:

Sevenstring.org - Tags

They're especially good for people noting that the default vB/MySQL search sucks, but take this example, where I search for a three-letter tag, KxK:

Sevenstring.org - Threads Tagged with kxk

Voila, shitloads of threads tagged with KxK. If people tag appropriately, and the members take a second or two to tag good threads with RELEVANT tags, that's another great way to find what you're looking for, and in a lot of cases can be better than a regular search. For example, a search on Ibanez might yield 5 billion threads that contain "better than an Ibanez" or "Looks like an Ibanez headstock", but a thread properly tagged WILL be about Ibanez.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
To any mods who would wish to do this because I would love you forever, could we possibly stick the "Recent Discoveries" thread and turn it into the "Recommended Listenings as According to SS.org" thread? This way instead of bumping it everytime either myself (which I'll be doing in a moment) or a new member decides to make a thread of the same thing they could just post it in there?

Raoul Duke

This is bat country
Reaction score
+1

Also, whats the status of the WAP version?

It would also be cool if we could encourage people to use the chat room more, and make it IRC.

There's a chat room?????

Edit - Im friggin blind ha ha

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
I thought about this different colour for the names of the established guitar makers who are in the forum...

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/fe...ferent-name-colour-for-the-guitar-makers.html

forums dedicated to polls and NGDs/NADs would be nice.

great to see the forum open to change :yesway:

Suggestion 2 .....

The ability to delate a profile visitor comment :mad: without having to kindy ask a moderator to take them off, this can both be a time saver for both the members and the moderators....

:agreed:

also an admin who exists would be nice ... :noplease:

Yes, an admin who gives a shit about the forum beyond treating it as a cash cow would be fantastic. Restoring some power to the mods would be great too.

Yep, pretty much. Alex is going to find the site dying pretty quickly now if he goes on paying no attention... the best posters are pretty much all on mg.org as well, and the quality of posting seems to have gone into freefall lately.

Also, more mods, preferably recruited from the "old-school" members. Hell, I would do it if nobody else could be found (though I'd probably be the worst POSSIBLE choice...)

+1 to all of these. And as I said before I only lurked during the "glory days" of SS.org but if no one else wants to do it I'll be happy to be a mod. I'm really trying to start reporting the shit that goes on to help the current guys, and it is starting to get way out of hand :noplease:

An automatic thread deletion. 6 months old with no activity, unless stickied, gets deleted.

Maybe limited access to brand new users...since we've had so many issues with new people trolling and starting internet wars for no reason, throwing out neg-rep like old toys, it's starting to get a little out of hand. (Or so it seems.) Maybe have a 30 day period where they have limited access?

The rep system. If it's starting to get out of hand, I have another idea. On k-1fans.com, a forum I still frequent, they have their "rep" status change by how many posts they have. There's no rep thrown between users, but it's kind of like an award for being active. Then, anyone that would be a douche just got banned. Of course, this would be a big change, and would require more reporting from the underlings and more work for the mods, but it's an idea.

Deleted? Nah. I don't mind the bumps, as long as they have a serious question, but I think it should be a 3 strike system for super old bumps (IE over six months), first pointless bump is a warning. Second is a week ban. Third is the gallows. If we just delete/close them we're going to have the same topics asking the same questions every few weeks or so, which is bad :noway:

And I think more posts = more rep is a good idea until you throw the human element into it. People are going to just spam topics with posts like "Haha omg +1" or "LOL!!!!" and then they're rated higher than some of the people who help.

I purpose we set in place a "challenge" button near any neg rep on your CP. You'll have to present your case (just as when you report someone) and tell why you don't deserve the neg rep. If the neg rep is reversed, I think that neg rep should go to the trool who was being an idiot in the first place, thereby marking him for all to see as an idiot.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I was called out last week for telling someone to behave and I was met with "your younger than me, what the hell would you know?!" - which is absolutely no logical, reasonable comeback at all. Some people need to get a grip and stop acting like the hard man online - we never needed it before and we don't now.

in my defence I felt your callout was unjustified and smug... and smugness is something that I really hate. that's why I reacted like I did, though I don't think I was acting like 'the hard man' :2c:

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sweet zombie jesus, Scar, don't drag this thread off-topic too:wallbash:

Dusty - no offence, but neither of those suggestions are gonna happen:lol: Having to keep tabs on how many "strikes" people have for bumping old threads would be too much of a hassle, plus bumping threads is not always a bad thing, only when the threads pertain to outdated news or whatever. Also, that "challenge" thing would not only be impossible to impliment but it'd mean we mods have to play judge to someones' trial every time the rep button gets pressed:ugh: No thanks.

Keep the suggestions coming!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Keep the suggestions coming!

To any mods who would wish to do this because I would love you forever, could we possibly stick the "Recent Discoveries" thread and turn it into the "Recommended Listenings as According to SS.org" thread? This way instead of bumping it everytime either myself (which I'll be doing in a moment) or a new member decides to make a thread of the same thing they could just post it in there?

:noway: or :yesway: