Fractal Animation

• Thread starter rahul_mukerji
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
You did this? Wow how long did that take to render? O_O
Something like this in max and mental ray could take up to 40 mins a frame to make.

Mandelbulb a regular 3D modeling/animation program? or is it like a renderer? I'm highly interested!

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Yep, I made this using Mandelbulb 3D.

Playing with the image size, my computer (Quad Core, Win 7 32 bit, 4GB RAM) was able to render ONE 500x300 size image (PNG, JPG, BMP ... tried all formats, same time) in 1 min 12 sec.

The entire animation is about 4000 images big. So it took a little over 3 Days to render. The CPUs all hit 100% and the RAM ran between 1.6BG to 2.6GB. The RAM is used much lower than the CPUs.

Mandelbulb 3D is a free rendering program. You can input your own formulas in it or use some presets and then play with some mutations. Its a lot of fun.

You can download a lot of such free programs. Mandelbulber and Mandelbulb 3D are some such great ones. Also Youtube has some great tutorials on rendering.

On a side note, trying to render it at 1600 was taking close to 3 weeks !!!!

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
fuuckkk lol

I'm going to check it out though, it seems pretty awesome!

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Based on the Fractal Forum feedback and their standard renderings, the normal time is between 5-15 days per render. They don't seemed too phased by it.

Just as a comparison. My friend works at an image processing company which works on satellite images. Their images run for 6 months on clustered server environments before they produce results !! :squint:

I'm pretty happy with my 3 day render :agreed:

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
Just as a comparison. My friend works at an image processing company which works on satellite images. Their images run for 6 months on clustered server environments before they produce results !! :squint:

I'm pretty happy with my 3 day render :agreed:

hahaha I understand, guys like Pixar and other big companies usually have a whole building dedicated to rendering only. They call them render farms. haha

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Thanks guys ! Glad you liked it

Stealthdjentstic
Its just a travel through a fractal world. Its interesting to see that its infinitely deep and so symmetrical and beautiful. And its nothing but pure mathematics. Just Math !! That's what really gets to me. If someone back in school had told me I could do THIS with it, I would have had a LOT more interest :)

Alimination
Really ? Wow, I guess that makes sense given that rendering those animations would take years otherwise. I would love to see their render setup. Should google it now ....

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Hahahahaha .... I just read up on Pixar's rendering farms. Its takes them 6 Hours to render 1 frame :squint: !!! And sometimes 90 Hours to render. WOW :scream:

Mine take 1 min to render .... :happy: :agreed:

kostein

Brutalz researcher
Reaction score
If it's a travel through a fractal world, where is the Axe FX? :squint:

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
^^^ That video was actually what the Axe FX looks like when you open it up.
The makers had to figure out how to open up space and time itself to produce such amazing amp sims.

Not bad for a 2 grand package. :lol:

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
^^ Thanks !! I recently got into fractal animation. I've been interested in fractals for a short while now, but I really got into the Mandelbrot set and such only recently after some reading watching some YT vids.

I really enjoy the animations by the 3D fractals. Some people think of it as a bad roller-coaster ride, but I seem to like it. Makes for great instrumental music videos and that's why I'm interested in these primarily: to make YT vids for my solo instrumental music :yesway:

And the fact that you can manipulate it in a million ways by changing 1 variable makes for a very interesting and captivating study / pastime. :agreed:

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Finished rendering yet another [and longer] animation. i liked this one better. Composed the music and got it ready just in time for St. Patty's day !! Enjoy.

Hopefully this looks better with beer goggles. Drink Responsibly.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome vids man. It's a funny day when you start recognising sample loops in other peoples/advertisements/films soundtracks :lol: :metal:

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Yeah, when I was younger and not in a band I invested a good amount of money into buying sample CDs from Sony to accompany me / make music. I was also using Sony Acid at the time so it worked out.

Now, years later, I'm trying to utilize them in some form or the other. I thought these fractal vids are the perfect place to use them. :idea: