Fredrik Thordendal/Meshuggah Solo sound?

DaethedralXiphos7FX

Reaction score
Hey, was wondering if anyone can help pick out some sound and guitar effects for me? I'm basically trying to figure out what effects I can use to obtain the solo tone Fredrik Thordendal is getting with his guitar. I know it gets pretty jazzy, so if anyone could help me out it would be awesome. I'm writing a tribute to Meshuggah and trying to start a metal/jazz fusion jam band. Some Meshuggah examples are the solo sections from; Acrid Placidity, Closed Eye Visuals, Straws Pulled at Random, Entrapment, Bleed, Dancers to A Discordant System. Some Fredrik Thordendal examples are solos from; Z1 - Recticuli, Secrets of the Unknown, 33 demo.

Again if anyone can help me achieve those effects than that would be badass!
FTD2.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
Fredrik uses a lot of Legato and Tapping, he also has a special little box called the '33' breath controller which makes his guitar sound like a Saxophone at times and it also has some other little effects too, he also has an Axe-FX ultra to get his tone as well as a multi FX processor but I can't remember the name of it.

This guy on youtube built a '33' breath controller himself.

DaethedralXiphos7FX

Reaction score
Ya I get all that. I guess what im trying to say is that; how can I go about mimicking his solo tone that he is getting. A similar sound to Allan Holdsworth I know that can do it. If I were to pick up a couple effects pedals, what should I use to create that distinct sound? Chorus, delay, reverb, pitch shift? That's what im curious about.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Echo and chorus should be able to do it, but his tone doesn't sound that chorus-y. It's like the effect is on, but it doesn't modulate, if that makes any sense, like the depth or speed is on 0. Not sure how i'd replicate it. A really short echo/delay would get the effect though, almost like a short slapback type thing. His solo sound is usually pretty dry, yet roomy. Not a whole lot of long delays.

ALMoDrummer

Reaction score
I want to say I've found possibly a stepping stone solution to what this effect is...let me explain a little.

I took what I heard from interviews -i.e. "ya ya" Kent (his guitar tech) talking about "shifting delays" with Frederik's foot pedals-, and tried that with my Axefx3 to no avail. Once I got fed up with that, I reminded myself that Frederik is kind of an old school cat at heart. He LOVES everything from the Chaosphere and then it hit me like a ton of bricks.

It's his FLANGER. It was ALL OVER his solos on that album.

If you use any sort of modeler / flanger device with a depth control, try and map it to an expression pedal. It totally is how Thordendal gets that sort of "worble" effect. Whenever the depth moves, it sounds like the sound is shifted in some manner...not necessarily left to right, but it's there. I'm sure there's more parameters you could add to make it sound even better.
Here's the settings I landed on with my axe fx:

Flanger block: Analog Stereo
Rate - .700 (adjust to taste)
Feedback - 15%

every other parameter I left default except:

Depth: Change modifier to pedal and put the following into the mapping section:
  • Start: 27%
  • Mid: 100%
  • End: 39%
  • Slope: 0%
  • Scale: 10
This gives you sort of a blocky looking curve. The idea is that the flanger engages quickly and on both ends, giving you 2 times in one pedal stroke to have the flanger activate.
Mix knob: Change modifier to pedal and put the following into the mapping section:
  • Start: 43%
  • Mid: 100%
  • End: 55%
  • Slope: 0%
  • Scale: 10
  • Offset: 21.5%
Similarly to the depth knob, this gives you the ability to have a completely clean signal at the bottom stroke of the pedal, and then have it instantly actuate the flanger on and off so it doesn't fully interfere with playing notes.

TLDR: Use a flanger pedal in conjunction with other effects to possibly get Frederik Thordendal's worble effect. I hope this helps.

1696486860096.png

1696486883868.png

1696486899507.png

Werecow

Reaction score
04f.gif_c200