Free Guitar Light Lesson!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Not a bad lesson. Might help if you knew the theory with regards to what you are playing.

First thing you play is a D major 9 313 arpeggio then you switch to 3nps B minor pentatonics (from the 12th fret B) and then I stopped watching.

Not sure an intermediate or advanced player would need such a comprehensive breakdown of the lick. Just my opinion though.

TwitTheShred

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future. Iv'e allways struggled with learning theory so i appriciate the heads up.

Maniacal

Reaction score
I find it quite amazing that you have learnt 3NPS pentatonic shapes etc all by chance? Did you work this just out by ear? Seems very weird to me that you are playing these ideas but you have no idea what they are. I'm not having a go at you, I'm just curious.

TwitTheShred

Reaction score
Everything I have ever learnt has been from ear training or from watching guitar tutition DVD's as a kid (I used to skip past the explainations and just watch them play) Sadly, I know it hasn't done me very good in the long run...........

Maniacal

Reaction score
I see. Sounds like it may be time to return to those DVDs and understand the theory too. It isn't vital to know theory, but it certainly helps with teaching.

TwitTheShred

Reaction score
In essance i think i do understand the theory it's just how to put it into English. It's really difficult to explain, i'm sure if i just brushed up on the basics it would all fall into place. I think your right though, it would definitely benifit me to go back and revise my Theory Knowlage!

The reason i'm doing this is actually to Improve as a player by helping others and pushing myself. For years i have been dissatisfied with my playing.

megadave2002

Reaction score
Great video! I am going to go through it when I get home.
I am in the same boat as far as theory goes. I never learned any theory, but now I am getting back into playing guitar to try and teach my son who just started and I feel like if I knew theory I could be a more effective teacher.