Fret hand positioning for 8 strings

• Thread starter ZeeJay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeeJay

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section, but does anybody else have a problem with playing 8 strings and keeping their wrist straight? I've just noticed some very minor wrist pain after playing. I immediately stopped playing and later tried to adjust my left hand position but nothing seems to really work in my favor without limiting my playability. Is this a common issue on wider necks? Any recommendations? TIA

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
1 - How high do you have your guitar's neck? Position it at least with the guitar's headstock at your eyes level or above, not lower.
2 - Make sure you play your guitar with your thumb in the back of the neck and not over it like the cowboy way.
3 - Invest in large and comfortable (padded?) guitar straps.

Save yourself some wrist injuries, pain and whatever comes with it, like frustration and anger and 8 string play quitting...

Yes, it will look less cool, but health above looks, right?... unless you have Paul Gilbert long fingers, then, I guess it's whatever, but from the question I believe you have not. Also, do note that not everyone can play everything. For example, some piano pieces have large key (note) gaps that are not accessible to all piano players. This is also true to guitar players. Measure your limits, flow/surf with them.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Don't hold your 8 string guitar like Mr. Ola below:

maxresdefault.jpg

Try to do it more like Mr. Rob below:

sddefault.jpg

Basically what Odibrom said, but in pictures. Headstock up at your head level and thumb behind the neck.

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
classical
Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section, but does anybody else have a problem with playing 8 strings and keeping their wrist straight? I've just noticed some very minor wrist pain after playing. I immediately stopped playing and later tried to adjust my left hand position but nothing seems to really work in my favor without limiting my playability. Is this a common issue on wider necks? Any recommendations? TIA
If you are not playing in classical position that is likely causing your issue. Sitting in that regular position with an 8 string(longer scale + wider neck) is a recipe for disaster for ur left hand because its so far away from your body and at such a steep angle.

ZeeJay

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback. I’m usually in a classical position and have surpassed my Darron Malakian days lol. I also just might have the false expectation of getting my wrist completely straight. It’s something I noticed about Tim Henson when he plays his 8 string but idk how he does it.