Fretfind issue with multiscale bridge spacing

• Thread starter CD1221
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CD1221

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am getting ready to commence my first multiscale build for guitar #2 and ordered a custom set of slanted neo modern pickups from the lovely people at blackwater guitar company, which I received recently. Today I printed out the fretfind drawing and was pretty bummed to see that the pickups looked way too big, the pole piece spacing appeared too far apart. I grabbed my ruler, checked the fretfind printout and discovered the error was there. It looks like fretfind uses the direct, angled measurement between the string endpoints for the spacing at the bridge, not the parallel distance between the endpoints, if that makes sense. A quick adjustment of the calculations and it now looks like the pickups are in fact correctly spaced, the error is with fretfind.

I will do some adjustments to the bridge spacing spec with fretfind later tonight to account for the angle and verify the problem, but it struck me as a pretty significant and obvious error.

Have any of you experienced this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Strange :scratch: I've used FF for a few fans and never had that problem.
Did you enter your nut and bridge spacing correctly ?

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Just in case you've not considered it already - There are a couple of printing options that will give you something slightly different than a 1:1 scale when printing pdf files.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
I never checked that matter. I have a 8 str FF in preparation, I'm just starting the fb, I'll check that out!

Deegatron

Reaction score
Just in case you've not considered it already - There are a couple of printing options that will give you something slightly different than a 1:1 scale when printing pdf files.

THIS!
double check all of the dimensions on the printed template... even when set to 1:1 printing alot of printers still bugger up the size slightly... this may be a printer problem and not a program problem...

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
Yep, agreed. I always add a 1"x1" square somewhere in the printed area so I can check it with a ruler when it comes out.

CD1221

Reaction score
yup, printer scaling issue.

how embarrassment....

thanks guys.

Renkenstein

Reaction score
Fkn printers, man...

Even when I go to FedEx and get something done on their big fancy printers, something's always off by a gnat's ass or more.

Glad you figured that out before you got to cutting! ;)