Fretted notes are sharp, open are not. Help please.

• Thread starter Nile
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Its an older BC Rich NJ series Warlock with the Floyd. Tuned to B standard, I have the right thickness strings and whatnot. When ever I play an open note, its in tune, but whenever I fret a note anywhere no matter what string its always 10-20 cents sharp.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
The intonation is out, it's pretty easy to fix don't worry :)

Here's a video if you want to do it yourself, if not just take it to a tech for a setup.

I know it's on a strat but it's a great video for explaining it a bit more

Here's one that's probably a bit more relevant.

Best of luck :yesway::)

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Ok so thats what I thought, which is what I messed with on my low string. I moved the saddle from just over the second hole to all the way back and it didn't do a thing?

Amonihil

Lurker
Reaction score
Having perfect intonation everywhere on a guitar won´t happen but as long as 12th fret and open string are the same it´s considered "being in tune".
If that doesn´t work you could try adjusting it to the 24th fret instead. Not sure if it works but I heard someone do it with positive restults.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Having perfect intonation everywhere on a guitar won´t happen but as long as 12th fret and open string are the same it´s considered "being in tune".
If that doesn´t work you could try adjusting it to the 24th fret instead. Not sure if it works but I heard someone do it with positive restults.

Even though only the open strings would be in tune. :lol:

I'll try it then.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
High action can cause this problem so lowering it by filing the nut, lowering the bridge or straightening the truss rod/neck can solve it.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
It is the nut, because if it was an intonation problem, it would be a gradual change, with the error being almost unnoticeable at the first fret, while becoming noticeable at the 12th or 24th.

Did you notice an abnormally high action when the string is open? if so, you need to file the nut a bit

Saidincontext

Reaction score
All good advice, also, being tuned that low... Do you get a buzzing sound from the g string when you pluck it?

MJY71

6+2=WTF?
Reaction score
I set my intonation on my Ibanez RG series guitars by the 24th fret, for what it's worth. It works perfectly for me.

I was also going to suggest that maybe the action is a little too high. The greater the travel to the fret, the greater the tension.

If it's an intonation problem, and the note is sharp when you fret it, then the saddle needs to be moved back, away from the neck. If the fretted note is flat, the saddle needs to be moved closer to the neck.

Lives Once Abstract

Avid Musician
Reaction score
i agree. i dont think its an intonation problem either. the sharpness WOULD be gradual. and if lowering the action doesnt do anything i would say possibly make sure it doesnt need a truss rod adjustment. my buddies guitar had a similar problem and once we tightened the truss rod the problem was fixed. I dont know if his was as severe as yours though.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
In filing a nut on a Floyd guitar, does that somehow entail i shave the metal down or do i sand down the wood underneath? :lol:

G string is wound so its fine.

I'll mess with the action then.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Lowering the action helped. Everything now only plays 10 cents sharp but sounds at least better. Enough to where the buzz from fret 7 and up on the lowest string is now unplayable.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Ok soooo. I have the action at the right height for minimal buzz but not being overkill high. I intonated my 2 lowest strings perfectly and they are still playing the same exact way. I adjusted the truss rod too. Nothing.

flow

>know
Reaction score
if you have lowered your action, and if you have intonated your instrument with no success, then the only other solution i could think of is simply buying a thicker gauge of string. You may simply be fretting the instrument to hard and causing the notes to be sharp.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
I also tested that theory of pressing too hard, so I tried it light. No success.

And I have a set of 60-12 on there, with the G string being wound, so gauge shouldn't be a problem.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
In filing a nut on a Floyd guitar, does that somehow entail i shave the metal down or do i sand down the wood underneath? :lol:

Sand the wood out. If you over-sand you can always place shims underneath the nut later (but try not to of course lol).
This should help to some degree.
I've always liked the nut to sit as low as possible without the opens buzzing (when picked with a reasonable soft touch).
If you're an open string banger than you'll need that extra clearence over the first fret.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Edit: Ok, pretty much all that is wrong now is the intonation. Lowering the nut worked great, so thank you for that tip.

Except now my E string is still sharp intonation wise but the bridge is backed up all the way already. So I'm guessing grind out some of the bridge? Seen Pat O'Brien do it because he couldn't intonate well enough at Ab. But I can't make a new hole for the screw, no equipment to do so.

Unless there is a better way entirely.