Fretted notes are sharp, open are not. Help please.

• Thread starter Nile
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Is your low string saddle adjustment screw in the third hole back?
It was several years of using floyds before I even knew their was a third hole lol.
That was back when I used power slinkys in D.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Is your low string saddle adjustment screw in the third hole back?
It was several years of using floyds before I even knew their was a third hole lol.
That was back when I used power slinkys in D.

Lmao theres a third hole? Never knew that.

But the problem is that even it being in the second hole the entire saddle is all ready backed up into the Floyd itself and can't go further back.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Some guys grind the corner off the saddle so it'll slide back more.
They sell shortened saddles on some bridge types (hipshots they do), but I'm not sure with floyds. You might e-mail floydupgrades

If you not concerned with resale value, I'd think it much easier to take a small diamater round or triangular file and shave a bit off the spots that the saddle-back runs into.
Shaving the saddle's bottom back corner wouldn't be bad either, would just have to hold it by hand or place gently/carefully in vice for filing.
I'd put the screw in the third hole if it's going to be way back anyways.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Some guys grind the corner off the saddle so it'll slide back more.
They sell shortened saddles on some bridge types (hipshots they do), but I'm not sure with floyds. You might e-mail floydupgrades

If you not concerned with resale value, I'd think it much easier to take a small diamater round or triangular file and shave a bit off the spots that the saddle-back runs into.
Shaving the saddle's bottom back corner wouldn't be bad either, would just have to hold it by hand or place gently/carefully in vice for filing.
I'd put the screw in the third hole if it's going to be way back anyways.

Awesome thanks.

This guitar isn't worth much either. :lol:

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
Is the nut too high? Fret the 3rd fret, there should be nothing more than a tiny gap between the string and the first fret.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
I already filed that down, its at the perfect height but nothing has changed from the original problem.

Lives Once Abstract

Avid Musician
Reaction score
have you tried calling a guitar tech? or taking it to someone just to look at? maybe diagnose the problem? because honestly its hard to help you with your issue over a computer with out actually hearing the problem and handling the guitar.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
have you tried calling a guitar tech? or taking it to someone just to look at? maybe diagnose the problem? because honestly its hard to help you with your issue over a computer with out actually hearing the problem and handling the guitar.

I would have done that already but I really don't know of any techs close at all.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I've always had a similar problem on 7's with floyds. I have to tune -2 cents open so that its not too sharp on the 5th fret. If I tune dead nuts open it gets noticibly sharp 3rd fret and up. This is with open and 12th fret being on intonation wise.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking of doing, but then the open notes would be off.

Lives Once Abstract

Avid Musician
Reaction score
im sure there is someone near by. honestly, everything thats been mentioned already would be all that i can think of. other than the possibility your frets werent postioned into the right intervals for that scale length. :scratch:

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
im sure there is someone near by. honestly, everything thats been mentioned already would be all that i can think of. other than the possibility your frets werent postioned into the right intervals for that scale length. :scratch:

That would be weird as hell. I'll try harder to find someone, but I doubt it.

Lives Once Abstract

Avid Musician
Reaction score
its possible the actual frets could be the problem. i dont know what else to suggest. not saying it is the problem but its a slight possibility

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
its possible the actual frets could be the problem. i dont know what else to suggest. not saying it is the problem but its a slight possibility

That is the only other possible thing I could think of. Now what could be wrong with them. :nuts:

Lives Once Abstract

Avid Musician
Reaction score
If they are even the slightest bit off scale and not measured perfectly to fit the scale length of your guitar. Fixing intonation can help solve this if they arent too bad.

If you have tried all the suggested methods of fixing your fretted notes being sharp, and they still have fully helped, I would naturally think its your frets being placed slightly off scale when being produced.