Friday's for future?

• Thread starter Lemonbaby
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
As this topic and Greta are all over the news in Germany, just wanted to know what's happening elsewhere. Is that a thing in the US?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My recollection was that Greta led one or two school strikes here in the US and there's some grassroots rumblings going on, but it hasn't coalesced into a legitimate movement here, as of yet.

Not knocking this country or any level of conservatism at all, but we're in a particularly stubborn time in this country. Not dragging guns into it but you see something like Sandy Hook where kindergartners are mowed down and there are direct actions that can be taken and... nothing. In fact, the reverberations that it was made up TO take guns or rights away lasted longer than any air of responsibility to take action to fix it.

And that's how we react to destructive things that kill people right there in front of our face on a daily basis.

Al Gore made some mileage off of "An Inconvenient Truth" but it was shortlived. The cottage industry that popped up surrounding climate change denial gets more press than ACTUAL climate science. It's anti-intellectualism, essentially. Anti-common sense. The concept of taking action now, to save the world 100 or even 10 years from now is an absolute non-starter here ATM.

Adieu

Reaction score
As this topic and Greta are all over the news in Germany, just wanted to know what's happening elsewhere. Is that a thing in the US?

Please elaborate. I have no idea what you're talking about

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Please elaborate. I have no idea what you're talking about
Question answered... :congress:

If this wasn't a joke: Greta Thunberg is a teenager from Scandinavia who started protesting against the climate change not being taken seriously by todays politics. This got bigger and bigger and caused a wave of protests across Germany where students skipped school on fridays to join protest marches. She actually held many public speeches across Europe and just recently at the United Nations Climate Action Summit. Unfortunately, it all seems a little orchestrated by her parents and sometimes not really arguments-driven. However, the debate in general needed to be started and at least climate topics got a higher priority in most European governments.

Adieu

Reaction score
Didn't really know, no

Although my dad HAS been mumbling puzzling stuff like "protest my azz, teens just wanna ditch school and get attention" a lot, lately

Darchetype

Reaction score
Strange times we're living in!

Last edited:

zappatton2

Reaction score
What does taking the science of climate change seriously have to do with the nazis, exactly? Especially when the anti-science populist crowd is often the most receptive to, you know, actual nazis??

Darchetype

Reaction score
Because no science is ever settled or absolute. The girl is being used as a vehicle mouth. She is like the children that become spiritual healers

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Question answered... :congress:

If this wasn't a joke: Greta Thunberg is a teenager from Scandinavia who started protesting against the climate change not being taken seriously by todays politics. This got bigger and bigger and caused a wave of protests across Germany where students skipped school on fridays to join protest marches. She actually held many public speeches across Europe and just recently at the United Nations Climate Action Summit. Unfortunately, it all seems a little orchestrated by her parents and sometimes not really arguments-driven. However, the debate in general needed to be started and at least climate topics got a higher priority in most European governments.
There was a large scale school walkout/protest a few weeks ago, and at least here in the liberal northeast semi-blessed by school districts, but it hasn't been an ongoing thing where every friday students walk out.
Because no science is ever settled or absolute. The girl is being used as a vehicle mouth. She is like the children that become spiritual healers
Yeah, I'm not sure where you're going with this. The scientific consensus is that climate change IS happening, and that humanity is responsible (primarily through CO2 emissions). Where there is disagreement is mostly on how to model the effect, which to be fair is a fiendishly difficult thing to do. The American right likes to point to this as evidence the science is far from conclusive, but that's kind of disingenuous - it's like pointing to the various different models attempting to project the path of a hurricane, and from the fact they don't all agree concluding that hurricanes don't exist. It doesn't work that way.

tedtan

Reaction score
it's like pointing to the various different models attempting to project the path of a hurricane, and from the fact they don't all agree concluding that hurricanes don't exist. It doesn't work that way.

Or insisting that a hurricane (Dorian) hitting the east coast will greatly impact Alabama. :facepalm:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Or insisting that a hurricane (Dorian) hitting the east coast will greatly impact Alabama. :facepalm:
LISTEN, LOTS OF PEOPLE SAID THAT THE HURRICANE WILL GREATLY IMPACT ALABAMA, THATS WHAT THE HEAVY BLACK LINE ON THE CHART THAT WAS DEFINITELY NOT SHARPIE INDICATED, HOW GREAT THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE WERE SAYING ALABAMA WOULD BE GREATLY IMPACTED! LOW ENERGY NOAA IS TREASONOUS AND REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS WHEN WE WERE STRONGER, WHAT WE USED TO DO WITH TRAITORS?

Darchetype

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure where you're going with this.

I didn't want to go into the whole climate thing, I am just addressing the girl. She is being used as the mouth piece for fear mongering and shame/guilt tripping/virtue signaling, because she is a kid and apparently kids know better and we should listen to kids. (In this situation she is just parroting).

But just because a bunch of people have come to a consensus, it doesn't mean we should stop research there since consensus doesn't mean that it's the truth. The way I look at it is that in real science real inquiry and real investigation into the truth, there is no room for consensus.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I didn't want to go into the whole climate thing, I am just addressing the girl. She is being used as the mouth piece for fear mongering and shame/guilt tripping/virtue signaling, because she is a kid and apparently kids know better and we should listen to kids. (In this situation she is just parroting).

But just because a bunch of people have come to a consensus, it doesn't mean we should stop research there since consensus doesn't mean that it's the truth. The way I look at it is that in real science real inquiry and real investigation into the truth, there is no room for consensus.
Hey, I've got no problem with research trying to prove that climate change is either not happening, or isn't man-made, for the simple reason that if scientists were of this mindset, that would be the fastest way to shut them up, when they were forced to either accept their null hypothesis or get real lax about p-values. The problem though is this isn't scientists saying we need to fund more research to disprove climate change science, it's politicians, and mostly American ones at that, and I don't think anyone trusts any of them as far as they can be thrown when it comes to not just blindly holding onto priors. :lol:

And just because she's a 16 year old kid doesn't mean she's some sort of puppet. She's a young girl who single-handedly started a pretty massive social movement. Unless you've got some evidence of, oh, Soros having her on payroll and slipping her scripts now and then, I don't really see why you're having such a hard time believing a 16 year old can think for herself.

Darchetype

Reaction score
that would be the fastest way to shut them up,

That's just my point, when the minority, non-funded scientists come out with "opposing" data, they and their data are the ones being shut up, or else we would hear more about it. (I dont have names and numbers off the top of my head, and I dont want to start a war of throwing numbers and charts at each other).

I dont have a hard time believeing that a 16 year old girl can think for herself...but if you stop for a second and think about it, there is a reason that she is plastered all over the media. Her 15 minutes should have been 15 minutes. The media should have said "well here is this young girl getting involved in politics, she is getting other kids her age involved and has a following. Isn't that nice? Now back to Jim for the weather". They should have left it at that. If there are 16 year old kids who are involved politically, and have opposite view points as her, and also have a following, why arent they being plastered on the news?

Ultimately she is being used to fear monger, shame and guilt trip everybody. And her demeanor and delivery is perfect for that. Also she can think for herself, but that doesn't mean she knows. She is yelling at people based on a consensus that she herself couldnt have come to

Last edited: