FS: Ampeg VL1002

• Thread starter Ancestor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm offering this for sale, because I need some dough to help me get through the summer. It needs a retube. I think that if someone doesn't buy it now, I'll eventually get it into a shop and try to restore it/sell for more.

350 dollars plus shipping to anywhere in US. Please email to robert_larocca1@yahoo.com if interested. Also we can talk on the phone, if you want to ask questions or whatever. Send me your number and I'll call.

The fun stuff:

100 watts - currently using 4 EL34s

5 preamp tubes.

Bias switch to automagically go from 6550 to EL34.

Spare fuse slot in back.

Lock, so that no one can play it when you aren't around.

Light up logo.

Built in power soak.

Hey, it was designed by Lee Jackson. That's cool. Plus, Gilbert and Wylde used to endorse them. It does sound good.

27946541584dad15.jpg

279465415844047a.jpg

2794654158474866.jpg

27946541583f2fd1.jpg

27946541584a8482.jpg

279465415851ba8b.jpg

More here:

Ampeg VL-1002 designed by Lee Jackson

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
How well does this thing clean up just using a volume knob on the dirty channel?

I would rate the clean tones as being just "OK". And for what you're talking about, I think one would need some passive p/u's. Even then, it's not really that type of amp. You won't get a Roland Jazz Chorus sound out of this. :agreed:

For cleans, I always switched channels.

swedenuck

Strictly Business
Reaction score
I'm not looking for a completely clean tone. I'd be dailing it in a spot where the gain isn't exactly full on and raging, just enough to be a bit saturated. Think Adam Jones from Tool clean, not exactly sparkling, kind of dark and harsh but responsive to the picking dynamics more than anything. All of my guitars have passive pickups so that's a non issue.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
fuck....i've been wanting to try one of those for a couple years.....i feel like i shouldn't buy it though, i don't exactly need another amp.....

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not looking for a completely clean tone. I'd be dailing it in a spot where the gain isn't exactly full on and raging, just enough to be a bit saturated. Think Adam Jones from Tool clean, not exactly sparkling, kind of dark and harsh but responsive to the picking dynamics more than anything. All of my guitars have passive pickups so that's a non issue.

Hmm, I don't know, to be honest. With my guitar, which is an A-7 w/EMGs, it would clean up a bit when I turned the volume down on the guitar. But, I always played with the guitar full up and maximum distortion. I might play a blues lick or something between songs just messing around. Damn, I wish I could give you a better answer. I think the amp is best at producing a dark sounding, smooth distortion... kind of compressed. That's what I did with it.

swedenuck

Strictly Business
Reaction score
Can you compare the amount of compression to another amp? Because really for me the less compression the better, that's why I only run my 5150 at about 5 or 6 for preamp gain.

One other thing, have you ever tried it with 6550's? If so what was the difference in tone?

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Can you compare the amount of compression to another amp? Because really for me the less compression the better, that's why I only run my 5150 at about 5 or 6 for preamp gain.

One other thing, have you ever tried it with 6550's? If so what was the difference in tone?

Well, I have a 6505, which has a different sound. There are more highs and mids in the Peavey. The Peavey has more noise when I try to get the same amount of compression from it, so now I run the Peavey on the rhythm channel.

Here's some reviews of the amp:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar Amp/product/Ampeg/VL-1001/10/1

I think that if I'm not mistaken, it came with 6550s, which sounded a little colder with a faster attack. I always went with the 34s. You could probably dial it in to have a more of a Marshall sound.

I'll sum up the whole experience for me. I love this amp and I have had it as my only amp for 11 years or more. I'm the only owner. It has a very cool, unique tone. It sounds modified. Everyone who has plugged into it seemed to like it.

But the problem for me is that this thing likes to eat tubes. I'm assuming it's the same with the modified Marshall's. I've read something about high plate voltages, but have no idea what that means.

So, this would be a good buy for someone who knows amps or has a good, trustworthy tech that can keep it in top shape.

If anyone needs even more details, I'll be glad to email you the whole argument I went through in my head before listing it for sale. :lol:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're looking for a decent high-gain head, you could do a lot worse, especially for the price...

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
SOLD!!

Ha, a long time ago. Sorry folks, it's gone.

Can the mods please close this thread? I keep getting inquiries about the amp. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.