Fucking love fuzz

• Thread starter Yul Brynner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
I recently got a new home rig. I mainly play big headstock Strats with single coils. I got a Marshall Origin 5 watt amp. Vox wah. Dawner Prince Boonar Echorec pedal. And a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix blue Fuzz Face Mini. This is meant to be a kind of early 70s David Gilmour ish rig. But I also like extreme metal stuff. I used to have a Keeley Dark Side with a fuzz in it but I only ever really noodled around Pink Floyd riffs with it.

I've got an Artec 7 band eq that I put in front of the fuzz. It has 15db cut or boost to each slider and an overall cut or boost. I made a frowny face to cut a bit of harsh highs and tighten up the low end while giving a good mid boost to the single coils. I also used the overall boost slider to get more gain from the fuzz pedal.

The Boonar has a bit of modulation to the repeats and I use it with the fuzz. I don't know where this sound has been hiding all my life but I love it. It's super heavy. It sounds almost like an old 70s analog synth. Power chords have a nice throaty clip like a revved up hotrod engine. Think of the intro to Orion with the synth through the Marshall and that's kind of close.

It's fucking awesome and has me writing new stuff. Like Pink Floyd meets Sabbath meets Opeth or something.

Necky379

Reaction score
Hell yeah. More of a Big Muff guy myself. Really good combo I found is a Big Muff running into an HM-2 type pedal.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I know that tone! It's so nasty and wonderful. I love fuzz's too but never get around to owning own. I've been wanting a Tone Bender MkIII for years now. I checked out the MXR BadAss fuzz online and it seems sick but I need to try it in person before I buy it because I have not heard it do heavy without the overly exaggerated percussive attack note yet, which get annoying, but it looks promising. The other one I got an eye on is the VooDoo Lab one which seems like an incredible fuzz for the money and overall totally versatile for a fuzz.
- Right now I've been just flipping on my piezo bridge LoPro with a heavy channel on my Mesa pre and it basically sounds like a really nasty, super fat, spitty fuzz. I like it a lot but I want the real deal at soem point.
- Happy Fuzzin' !

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Fuzz is a blast! It's actually one of the things I prefer about my axe fx III over the helix LT I had just before.

This band definitely got me interested in fuzzy tones with single coils:

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Thread inspired me to break out my mxr badass fuzz... running it thru an Effectrode Blackbird tube pre-amp ( 12ax7)... just crushing.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Thread inspired me to break out my mxr badass fuzz... running it thru an Effectrode Blackbird tube pre-amp ( 12ax7)... just crushing.
Hey, I've been looking at those BadAss Fuzz's. It's the SuperBadassVaric Fuzz right? Can I ask, is there a way to get it all heavy and nasty without that percussive pick attack sound like I hear on some other fuzz's? Also, The Blackbird is awesome! Together?! I bet that's killer.

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
There is a learning curve to using fuzz! I used to hate fuzz, didn't understand it, why would anyone want those "loose and farty" :lol: tones, I would say to my younger self. Now I appreciate fuzz so much, having been responsible for some of my favorite guitar tones, Hendrix, Gilmour, Smashing Pumpkins, list can go on forever. My favorite are Civil War style Big Muffs. Coincidence that a 2nd Buffalo FX Patriot just arrived today, not selling it this time. I like adding a compressor after the fuzz to get some of those monster solo tones.
What's always got me curious is James Brown/Amptweaker's take on a fuzz, the TightFuzz. I never been able to play one but it looks like alot of fun.

Amptweaker_Tight_5118f4ab4e398_3_540bf065-6e29-4dea-bc48-8e1f03d4daa6_grande.jpeg

ricky bobby

Beef Supreme
Reaction score
Hell yeah! I've hear alot of great things about those mini fuzz faces. I like the idea of using an eq with one. I picked up a JB fuzz face recently but the highs have been driving me crazy. Just been sticking with my muffs but maybe that could help tame it.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Hey, I've been looking at those BadAss Fuzz's. It's the SuperBadassVaric Fuzz right? Can I ask, is there a way to get it all heavy and nasty without that percussive pick attack sound like I hear on some other fuzz's? Also, The Blackbird is awesome! Together?! I bet that's killer.

Definitely nasty af and no chirp that I hear. I love it but kicked it outta my chain cause I'm running too damn many pedals as it is ( 15 yikes). It was down to a Big Muff Pi, Muffuletta, and Variac. I'm super happy with it. very versatile as well. Lotta depth for a fuzz.

Brian Kehoe demos it better but this silly ad hooked me lol...

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Definitely nasty af and no chirp that I hear. I love it but kicked it outta my chain cause I'm running too damn many pedals as it is ( 15 yikes). It was down to a Big Muff Pi, Muffuletta, and Variac. I'm super happy with it. very versatile as well. Lotta depth for a fuzz.

Brian Kehoe demos it better but this silly ad hooked me lol...

NIce! That heavy stuff at the last half around 40sec and onward is the general area I'm looking to get with it, but It has the percussive thing on the pick attack. I don't want that part. I know I've heard the VooDoo Lab Fuzz and the Tone BEnder be able to do it, but I want this one to do it because it looks a bit more verstile with that Variac thing going on. IF not, I guess I'll just have to get both! : )
- Forgot Big Muff's are considered fuzz's. I actually did have a Russian Big Muff (the big green one) and liked it, but never really thought of it as a fuzz in practice. I actually used it for more lo-fi type stuff with the tone knob rolled down. pretty cool sound.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Yeah I really wanted something with more adjustability than what a lot of fuzz pedals offer. I guess I've had mine dialed to where I really don't hear much attack. I'd still like to have the Pi and the Muffeletta but I mean, there's at least 10+ other fuzzies that I'd like to have too!

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
There is a learning curve to using fuzz! I used to hate fuzz, didn't understand it, why would anyone want those "loose and farty" :lol: tones, I would say to my younger self. Now I appreciate fuzz so much, having been responsible for some of my favorite guitar tones, Hendrix, Gilmour, Smashing Pumpkins, list can go on forever. My favorite are Civil War style Big Muffs. Coincidence that a 2nd Buffalo FX Patriot just arrived today, not selling it this time. I like adding a compressor after the fuzz to get some of those monster solo tones.
What's always got me curious is James Brown/Amptweaker's take on a fuzz, the TightFuzz. I never been able to play one but it looks like alot of fun.

Amptweaker_Tight_5118f4ab4e398_3_540bf065-6e29-4dea-bc48-8e1f03d4daa6_grande.jpeg

I have one. It's great if you're looking for Tonebender and Fuzz Face type tones. It's not for splatty gated fuzz tones. The tight switch is unique because most fuzz can have a rounded bottom. The edge/smooth makes it more/less articulate as well. Plus you have Ge vs Si clipping.

It takes boost/OD pedals well or you can buy a newer one with the gain mod, because it does not have a lot available.

I like it because it doesn't sound like my other fuzzes.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Are there any modern metal bands that use a fuzz for the main tone? I'm in the mood for something space rockish, melodic, maybe instrumental, but also heavy. Now that I have this sound I am playing with, I have a sound in my head for a style of metal that probably already exists but I don't know what it is.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are there any modern metal bands that use a fuzz for the main tone? I'm in the mood for something space rockish, melodic, maybe instrumental, but also heavy. Now that I have this sound I am playing with, I have a sound in my head for a style of metal that probably already exists but I don't know what it is.

Baroness - Blue Record

That should check all the boxes.

EDIT: Just realized that it's over a decade old. Fuck. Time flies.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score

By modern do you mean like not from the 60s/70s?

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats got some fantastic fuzz tones... though sounding like they time traveled from the 60s/70s is kinda their thing :lol: They're like the "spooky Beatles"

Last edited:

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
By modern do you mean like not from the 60s/70s?

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats got some fantastic fuzz tones... though sounding like they time traveled from the 60s/70s is kinda their thing :lol: They're like the "spooky Beatles"

That's fucking awesome.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
DD7E64AB-64DD-45DE-A0A1-9D92725C7C98.jpeg
upload_2020-3-26_19-42-13.jpeg

This is all I brought with me, since I’m not a huge fuzz guy.

I do have a bunch in storage I really miss, including a EQD Zap Machine which is incredible for Hendrix style clean tones.

If anyone is looking for rock/metal fuzz pedals you need to check out the Roger Mayer Voodoo Bass and Bass 2, as well as the Kuro Kage. They are amazing for rhythm including downtuned stuff.