Fun Preamps for Metal

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Runander

Reaction score
Rocktron Gainiac II always sounds fun to me :) Never tried it or heard it for that matter, but my god, that font on the front looks badass :D

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
DV016_Jpg_Large_483483_R.jpg

And boom goes the dynamite.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
Engl E530 (i loved that thing, wish I never sold it), Marshall JMP1, I've heard good things about the Rocktron Piranha

boltzthrower

Reaction score
Rocktron Chameleon ($100-$150). Digitech 2101 ($160-$200?). Rocktron mAXE ($???).

The Chameleon is so good for the price. The Digitech is perhaps more versatile but sounds a bit harsh/digital to me at high volumes. Both sound pretty '90s. The mAXE sounds super solid state (sort of metal zone-ish, but better). All 3 of them have more gain than I'd ever need (for death metal).

I've heard the Peavey Rock Master is good but have never tried one; I think they're like $220-$260. Oh but it has tubes in it. Why are you against having tubes in your preamp? I think the 2101 has one or two pre tubes in it as well.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
From personal experience, I suggest the Engl E530 and the Marshall JMP-1. Both offer great metal tones and are relatively affordable. :yesway:

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
^^ I don't get it, what is that name supposed to mean?

It's Danish :lol:

And not only Danish, also a slang word from an obscure regional dialect.. In Danish. Not surprised AT ALL that people outside Denmark scratch their heads :lol:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
They say it means "thingamajingy" in Danish... but it could mean whale scrotum for all I know and they could just be fucking with us... :)

geetar_geek79

Reaction score
I second the AMT. Actually, I think any high gain AMT would do but my preference goes to the S2. I would like to also try the D2, Vt2, and K2.

The Amptweakers sound really nice, but IMO they sound better in front of a clean amp than straight to power amp.