Fuzz instead of boost into high gain amp?!?

• Thread starter sleewell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleewell

Reaction score
Was watching the End rig run down. They both run a swollen pickle into 5150s. Never really thought to use fuzz instead of a boost but it sounded AMAZING!! Was still really aggressive but had a little squishiness that I loved. Def requires good use of noise gates.

Anyone else running fuzz into high gain amps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Was watching the End rig run down. They both run a swollen pickle into 5150s. Never really thought to use fuzz instead of a boost but it sounded AMAZING!! Was still really aggressive but had a little squishiness that I loved. Def requires good use of noise gates.

Anyone else running fuzz into high gain amps?
Knocked Loose use swollen pickles into 5153s.
Morbid Angel and Obituary use Rats into marshalls.
I use both depending on the situation. The swollen pickle is tons of fun to mess with.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Sparrows was swollen pickle into 2203 but we werent high gain. Rat or big muff into a 5150 is common on some doom albums Im told.

My SDD300 pre into the 5150, while not fuzz per se, sounds great.

broj15

Reaction score
Swollen pickle is kind of an outlier. I'm pretty sure knocked Loose used the mkIV swollen pickle which can actually cop some pretty convincing HM2 clones which is why it lends itself to metal/hardcore tones so well. That being said, they aren't crazy expensive so there's no reason to not try it out and see if it works for you.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Dude try doing this with the swedish chainsaw on one path on your helix and turning down the blend a bit, and have another path with a normal boost blended normally, it's suuuuuch a nasty sound but still super controllable. Love it. Got the idea from that Rundown as well.

ThunderUnderground

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was running a Tube Screamer MINI into a HM3 in front of my Laney AOR Pro Tube Lead, gets a bit wild sounding, doesn't do death metal/thrash metal. Needs mega EQ'd otherwise it can sound like ass.

I think it depends what amp you run it in to, my Laney is fuzzy by default so when i run a boosted fuzz in the front it gets crazy, ive swapped out to an Ibanez Super Metal now and its a different vibe completely.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Swollen pickle is kind of an outlier. I'm pretty sure knocked Loose used the mkIV swollen pickle which can actually cop some pretty convincing HM2 clones which is why it lends itself to metal/hardcore tones so well. That being said, they aren't crazy expensive so there's no reason to not try it out and see if it works for you.
Knocked Loose and End both use the swollen pickle for adding chainsaw tone but a bit less messy. Will Putney basically says they a/b'd it with hm2 pedals and the swollen pickle does the same thing but sounds tighter on chugs.

I have a mkii and it does chainsaw hm2 tones just as well as my hm2 or hm300.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Also run crunch levels of gain on the 5150, and hit it with rat into big muff. Thank me later.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
White Zombie's La Sexorcisto album was a Rat boosted JCM800 and some of the Melvins 90's material uses that combo too, quite a few nu metal bands also used the fuzz boost trick as both Orgy & Coal Chamber used a JCM800 boosted with a Big Muff for their debuts.
Personally the Rat into Marshall is one of my favourite combinations as you can summon up a gritty thrash tone but also make it sound like a more flexible/less annoying version of the Boss HM2 sound.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Iron Horse V3 (Rat clone with a couple more options) into an Orange Rockerverb Mark III 100. Been doing it for a year now and it is sick.

Gmork

Reaction score
I love running different fuzzes into my dual rec. Its glorious. Fuzzes can really add some special suace to your tone if u know how to control them.