Gaming Keyboards

• Thread starter Bigredjm15
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bigredjm15

Reaction score
So I've been using the Logitech K800 for a long time and it's starting to fizzle out on me. I wanted to upgrade to a good gaming keyboard, but also good for recording. Any suggestions? I really like the quietness of the keyboard and the backlight on the keys.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I got a Cooler Master Devastator keyboard + mouse combo for like $30 CAD over 5 tears so when I built my PC and it's still solid, but the mouse was really mediocre and capped out. The prices on these went up a bit in the past couple of years but I'm still impressed by the quality. It's not mechanical, though, but it's a good budget option.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Late to the party, but honestly, unless you're really set on that particular aesthetic, stay away from anything marketed as a G@M3R K3YB0@RD, because that is a surefire way to overpay for whatever you end up getting (granted, practically all RGB keyboards are marketed as gaming keyboards, so it'll be difficult to avoid if you're set on it). If you don't need mechanical (even as someone who had a mechanical keyboard, it was nice but it wasn't life-altering), I'd say the most sensible choice is the Logitech G213. If you're going for quietness, I'd even argue that you wouldn't necessarily want to go mechanical, as one of their most generally appealing qualities for people who like them is the sound they make (obviously they're no buckling spring, but hey, nobody's perfect). If you do still want to go mechanical and want something quiet, make sure to get something with Cherry MX Red or equivalent switches with linear actuation, as, while not as quiet as rubber dome switches, they are generally the quietest mechanical switches. Linear switches are also the best for gaming applications.

Lastly, if you want something RGB, don't go wireless. LEDs eat way more power than normal operation of a keyboard and mouse, so going wireless with an illuminated keyboard is a good way to chew through batteries.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Quiet keyboards and gamer keyboards do not mix.
Gamers want sensitive, reactive mechanical keyboards, which means they're noisy as fuck, unless they use cherry brown switches (which are mildly quieter than other cherry switches) or a membrane type setup. Membrane setups are considered trash in the gaming world (because of the lack of responsiveness) but hey, if you want quiet, that's as quiet as it gets tbh.
If you change your mind about the noise aspect, the logitech g710 is a great keyboard with cherry red switches and customizable backlighting. I've had mine for years and it's still going strong, same with my logitech mouse.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't think I've had a mechanical keyboard for like 15 years, but how many people have actually done an A:B comparison? Is it really worth paying more than double for the mechanical switches? I barely play competitive games so I'm not gunning for the most responsive keyboard but just curious.

FancyFish

bruh
Reaction score
Don't think I've had a mechanical keyboard for like 15 years, but how many people have actually done an A:B comparison? Is it really worth paying more than double for the mechanical switches? I barely play competitive games so I'm not gunning for the most responsive keyboard but just curious.
You're not really paying double for mechanical keyboards these days. Stuff like the G.Skill KM360 is only 50 bucks with genuine Cherry switches, plus there are the plethora of keyboards with Cherry clone switches available with good reception.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score

Basically; yes- not a meme.
Ironically, I barely use mine for gaming. It's just so comfortable to type on. I managed to convince my boss to let me bring one in to work, clackity-clackity bs and all. A good one is more expensive for sure, but keyboards last so long and the cost delta overall is so small that for something that gets used so often, it was a no brainer for me, personally; as someone who spends ~13 hours a day at a desk.

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
I have logitech's current flagship, the G915. Noisy as fuck, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Uber responsive, comfortable, great assignable macro keys.

Reaction score
So I've been using the Logitech K800 for a long time and it's starting to fizzle out on me. I wanted to upgrade to a good gaming keyboard, but also good for recording. Any suggestions? I really like the quietness of the keyboard and the backlight on the keys.
Logitech G610 Orion. The Red version is pretty great feeling (which is what I use on my gaming rig) but if you want more typing feel then go for Brown.

Latest posts