Gary Holt with Dean?

Zado

Reaction score
From another forum
screenshot_20210718-042000_instagram-jpg.84088

I dig the guitar, don't remember seeing that finish so might be sort of a signature model?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The guy has a huge collection and used pretty much everything at some point, and ESP isn't too possessive of artists, especially ones as big as Holt, so I think it's premature to assume he's moving to Dean.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
This doesn't look like a Slayer or Exodus show, so I can believe ESP don't care what he's playing on small stages. But at the same time Kerry King just joined Dean so if he's changing brands they're the one that makes the most sense.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
He could have been at a show, and the band could have had him come out for a song or two and he used the guitarist’s guitars since he wouldn’t have his gear.

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
This doesn't look like a Slayer or Exodus show, so I can believe ESP don't care what he's playing on small stages. But at the same time Kerry King just joined Dean so if he's changing brands they're the one that makes the most sense.
Is there even a point of switching companies if Slayer is no longer a band anymore? Like the other posts here, I don't think that's one of his main guitars since he'd always have a stash of ESPs when he's going on full tours.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Is there even a point of switching companies if Slayer is no longer a band anymore? Like the other posts here, I don't think that's one of his main guitars since he'd always have a stash of ESPs when he's going on full tours.
If Slayer is over then there's a great reason to change companies if that paycheque is disappearing.

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
If Slayer is over then there's a great reason to change companies if that paycheque is disappearing.
You really think Dean would give a higher paycheck than the same company that makes guitars for Metallica? To who's essentially a prominent (former) member of one of the Big Four?

Kerry switched to Dean because BC Rich (or at least the management before the 5FDP dudes bought it) was fading away for many years to the point that he could no longer get any support from them. I highly doubt this is the case for Holt, especially since his ESP/LTD signature models are still being made while Kerry virtually had none at all during Slayer's last decade as a band.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Also I'm guessing this is the Tom Hunting benifit show? He was just probably using what they had on hand since Exodus wasn't scheduled to play.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
You really think Dean would give a higher paycheck than the same company that makes guitars for Metallica? To who's essentially a prominent (former) member of one of the Big Four?

Kerry switched to Dean because BC Rich (or at least the management before the 5FDP dudes bought it) was fading away for many years to the point that he could no longer get any support from them. I highly doubt this is the case for Holt, especially since his ESP/LTD signature models are still being made while Kerry virtually had none at all during Slayer's last decade as a band.
I don't know when Gary's contract might be up for renewal, but there's every chance that ESP might see less value in him now to the point that there's a better deal elsewhere for him. That doesn't appear to be the case, but I don't see how that's unreasonable.

Gary and Kirk may both have been Exodus guitar players, but ESP don't pay them the same.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
He’s obviously not switching to Dean. He posted about a brand new Custom ESP just a couple of weeks ago and that would be an idiotic downgrade in endorsement regardless.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Every now and then artists with endorsement will grab an instrument from a different brand for whatever reason. Everyone does this. Getting a photo with one doesn't necessarily mean they're switching brands. Granted that low level endorsement contracts won't allow publicized photos, but guys like Gary Holt are fine.

Here's Joe Satriani onstage with Les Pauls. Doesn't mean he's jumping ship to Gibson any time soon.

gibson-lp90_satriani-gibson.jpg

guitarist-joe-satriani-performs-at-the-les-paul-and-friends-90th-birthday-celebration-in-universal-city-california-february-7-2006-les-paul-was-unable-to-attend-the-celebration-as-he-was-in-the-hospital-with-a-case-of-pneumonia-upi-photomichael-tweed-TXXM28.jpg

Hell, even the new breed of insta/youtube/influencer guys with varying endorsement tiers aren't exactly monogamous either. Ichika has an Ibanez sig but has no issues with doing Fender promos.

Reaction score
...it still pains me that we lost that beautiful KKV with the Beast headstock and now we have whatever the fuck that thing is Dean is making for Kerry. Goddamn that thing is a nightmare. I went to Guitar Center and happened to find one of the high end ones in the "too expensive for the filthy casuals" booth and figured I'd play it to see if my opinion changed. Nope. Felt like a toy..was NOT worth the thousands they wanted.

I know this is about Gary but god dammit B.C. Rich..you seriously fucked up.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Also I'm guessing this is the Tom Hunting benifit show? He was just probably using what they had on hand since Exodus wasn't scheduled to play.

This was definitely at the Tom Hunting benefit show. That photo was taken during a jam which also included Rick Hunolt and Chris Kontos. Chances are, Gary just grabbed whatever guitar in arms reached for a fun jam, or decided he wanted to bring a Dean along.

Edit: vid

Something similar happened on the first day of the Dark Roots of Thrash tour. Before my bands set, a band I never heard of opened the show. A few songs in and Rob Cavestany of Death Angel jumps onstage with Gibson Flying V. He's always played Jacksons forever so that V onstage meant bugger all to his endorsement deal. Phil Demmel also jumped onstage but he bought his own Jackson. Phil did ask for my guitar to warm up so that was awesome. Would've been more so or even funnier if he went onstage with my Ibanez Halberd.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Every now and then artists with endorsement will grab an instrument from a different brand for whatever reason. Everyone does this. Getting a photo with one doesn't necessarily mean they're switching brands. Granted that low level endorsement contracts won't allow publicized photos, but guys like Gary Holt are fine.

Here's Joe Satriani onstage with Les Pauls. Doesn't mean he's jumping ship to Gibson any time soon.

gibson-lp90_satriani-gibson.jpg

guitarist-joe-satriani-performs-at-the-les-paul-and-friends-90th-birthday-celebration-in-universal-city-california-february-7-2006-les-paul-was-unable-to-attend-the-celebration-as-he-was-in-the-hospital-with-a-case-of-pneumonia-upi-photomichael-tweed-TXXM28.jpg

Hell, even the new breed of insta/youtube/influencer guys with varying endorsement tiers aren't exactly monogamous either. Ichika has an Ibanez sig but has no issues with doing Fender promos.

yea it’s kind of funny every photo of Kirk I’ve seen the last year is him with that damn old les Paul. He freaking loves that thing.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
yea it’s kind of funny every photo of Kirk I’ve seen the last year is him with that damn old les Paul. He freaking loves that thing.

Which is fair. Kirk payed about 2 million for it, and Greeny is an iconic piece of classic rock memorabilia, it'd be a shame if he didn't play it. I'd rather him buy it and use it night after night so it can be seen and heard rather than some collector who's going to put it in a case and never touch it.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
Which is fair. Kirk payed about 2 million for it, and Greeny is an iconic piece of classic rock memorabilia, it'd be a shame if he didn't play it. I'd rather him buy it and use it night after night so it can be seen and heard rather than some collector who's going to put it in a case and never touch it.

I think I read somewhere that he has it in his sight at all times. Can’t recall where, perhaps a UG article or something, but for that kinda money I would do the same thing.

mastapimp

Reaction score
Wait, you're telling me he's jumped ship from Lionheart guitars as well?
57331391_2139653812795548_2864294267860287488_n.jpg