Getting in to vinyl, advice needed please!

• Thread starter FireInside
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Well, it is record store day once again and each year I am reminded about all the vinyl I have purchased, would like to purchase, and someday play. I have been lagging on getting the ball rolling so I figured I should start researching and asking for advice.

I have a decent home stereo system all I need is a turn table. I am by no means an audiophile so any turntable that works and doesn't sound like utter garbage should be fine for me. I would like to keep the price under $100 if possible.

This is the one I have been looking at:

Amazon.com: Sony PS-LX250H Automatic Belt-Drive Turntable: Electronics

Any thoughts? Thanks and happy Record Store Day! :wavey:

The Grief Hole

Reaction score
Back in the uk I had a turn table by Project called a NAD 100 (terrible name). It came with a really good needle and cartridge and was massively simple to use. Very nice to look at aesthetically and cheap too. It was an excellent turntable.

I'm using a technics 1210 I was given now which I enjoy because of the ability to slow things down a lot. Iron Maiden at the slowest speed is very, very heavy.

Just stay away from anything cheap like the vestax portables etc. you want your children to find all your stuff in the attic in years to come and instantly become converts not stumble upon some fucked up old plastic.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Vinyl is awesome. Just read the reviews and make sure you don't get a cheap one, like TGH said above. And the magic is in the needle so get a decent one. Once you do that and get some good speakers you will hear a WORLD of difference. It's so thick and punchy it's unbelievable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I have a decent stereo system and some excellent speakers, just need the turn table now. That Technics is way out of my budget. Seriously don't want to spend over about $100. I only plan to casually listen to records.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
i love vinyl, got into it by accident actually. Originally i bought a Cynic's Carbon Based Anatomy transparent blue vinyl as they were only printing 300 copies and i wanted some collector cred.... it started an illness. have a bunch of 7 inches (Feistodon is a must have), one Candiria full length plus remixes, all but one steven wilson album, two east of the wall records (need one more for a complete set) a Charles Mingus record... few more that im forgetting (drinking beer atm) but i haven't listened to a damn one. because my dad's turntable needs a new cartridge.

i mostly have modern releases because my dad has over 250 albums in the basement so i figure i have access to some of the best of the best already so indulge in the modern shit... god i love the tastes of people on this forum =)