Ghost BC

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
You were who I was thinking of :rofl:

I actually have been listening to their new one. For some reason I can’t listen to their older stuff though. It’s still totally not remotely metal. Not that it has to be.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BuckarooBanzai

Reaction score
I liked them better when they didn’t wear makeup and were called “Blue Oyster Cult”

The other day I was playing BOC's "Joan Crocker" in my car and my buddy asked if it was Ghost :lol:

No.

"Joan Crawford" was written by David Roter, a comedian friend of the band, and was decidedly their most tongue-in-cheek song. It's also hardly representative of the rest of their catalog.

Somebody post me a song from Ghost side-by-side with a BOC song that sounds remotely similar so we can put this to rest.

scratchNdentPrestige

Reaction score
Somebody post me a song from Ghost side-by-side with a BOC song that sounds remotely similar so we can put this to rest.

I'm with you on this one, and I am a fan of both BOC and Ghost. I think people make this comparison because both bands have clean vocals that generally aren't shouted or operatic or anything really weird. They both have melodic guitar playing that doesn't venture into shred territory, and both bands have keys. To me Ghost sounds like a band that could have been on a bill with BOC back in the early 80's or late 70's , cause they have a bit of a vibe from that era.

wat

Reaction score
No.

"Joan Crawford" was written by David Roter, a comedian friend of the band, and was decidedly their most tongue-in-cheek song. It's also hardly representative of the rest of their catalog.

It's beyond obvious in the majority of their catalog, hence the comparison to BOC :idk:

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
The way I look at it is, BOC and Ghost have as much in common as Greta Van Fleet does with Led Zeppelin. In reality, not that much, but to some those comparisons are fair to make.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I always wanted BOC to sound more like Ghost.

As a teen we get suckered in with cool, evil-ish songs like Don't Fear the Reaper or heavy metal riffage like Godzilla, we think they've got more of it on the full album...

...and then the rest of their entire disco is neither evil nor heavy. I mean, they're a good rock band, but I always wanted them to be this band that bridges rock with metal, which they aren't.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
They remind me of early KISS - big scary look, spitting blood and breathing fire or putting satanic imagery everywhere, but the music is very poppy.

I like em.

BuckarooBanzai

Reaction score
The way I look at it is, BOC and Ghost have as much in common as Greta Van Fleet does with Led Zeppelin. In reality, not that much, but to some those comparisons are fair to make.

Greta Van Fleet's vocalist sounds nearly identical to Plant in his heyday, from his tonality and delivery to his inflection and the way the producer automated that massive reverberation when his vocals drop in the beginning:

Between the songwriting, aesthetic in their videos and way their records are produced I think this is an entirely fair comparison. The first time I heard them I thought I was listening to a Zeppelin B-side, in much the same fashion as how I thought Bruno Mars' "Locked Out of Heaven" was a Police song for the first 30 seconds that I heard of it while in a NY dive bar.

I always wanted BOC to sound more like Ghost.

As a teen we get suckered in with cool, evil-ish songs like Don't Fear the Reaper or heavy metal riffage like Godzilla, we think they've got more of it on the full album...

...and then the rest of their entire disco is neither evil nor heavy. I mean, they're a good rock band, but I always wanted them to be this band that bridges rock with metal, which they aren't.

The two albums those singles were off of ("Agents of Fortune" and "Spectres") were lighter and more commercialized. The third studio album in that particular trilogy was a spectacularly-bad Disco crossover record produced by the same dude responsible for much of Cheap Trick's output, which isn't a dig on Cheap Trick or Tom Werman so much as it is a self-evident comment on how far off the mark they were creatively at the time. Their first few albums are bonafide proto-metal classics and their early 80s output was solid as hell, if not as heavy as the Sabbath/sludge/doom metal contingent would have you believe is required to be "metal". Their second LP "Tyranny and Mutation" is probably their most metallic. Behold:

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
^Yeah but Robert Plant doesn't equal the entirety of Led Zeppelin. Nothing anyone else of that band does sounds like anything Zeppelin does. Hell, Claudio Sanchez in some places sounds like Geddy Lee, does that mean C&C sound just like Rush?

eggy in a bready

Reaction score

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I guess my name's Nobody, because as long as they put out music that I like, whether or not it's considered a rip-off by others, I'm going to give lots of shits.

BuckarooBanzai

Reaction score
C&C obviously has an overt Rush influence, but it's clear that they do their own thing. Great Van Fleet only exist to ape Zep. they are a glorified tribute band.

this is a great write-up: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

they join the ranks of other throwback gimmick bands like Jet and Wolfmother. nobody will give a shit next year

That's the most Pitchfork-y review I've ever read in my life... and sadly I can't argue with too much of it, though I do find it interesting that the author has such a justice boner for exposing something as transparent as GvF. I can't wait to read about his thoughts on how synthwave is what people born in the 90s think 80s music that they've never actually listened to sounds like, or how doom/stoner/sludge bands are mostly just a bunch of high late-20somethings pretending to be Sleep playing as a Black Sabbath tribute band. I might have had strong thoughts on this when I was 15 but these days I'm just too tired to care... maybe I'd have more energy if I were a professional critic.

Thanks for reminding me of Wolfmother, btw. I was pretty heavily into MkII Deep Purple at the time and thought that the noise that Wolfmother's singer made karate-chopping a distorted Hammond on "Woman" compared very poorly to Jon Lord's wizardry on "In Rock". Also, they had a song called "Joker and the Thief". If that's not shameless then I don't know what is.

^Yeah but Robert Plant doesn't equal the entirety of Led Zeppelin. Nothing anyone else of that band does sounds like anything Zeppelin does. Hell, Claudio Sanchez in some places sounds like Geddy Lee, does that mean C&C sound just like Rush?

You're either trolling or being completely disingenuous. You could take the multi-track for Zep IV and have GvF's singer re-do all of Plant's parts with little to no discernible difference in the end product, whereas Claudio couldn't pull off Part II of "2112" convincingly. Admittedly GvF's drummer can't hold a candle to Bonzo and their guitar/bass stuff is kinda generic but the singer pushes it over the edge. C&C play vaguely Rush-inspired prog rock and the only thing their vocalist has in common with Geddy is his range. Two different situations IMHO.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Guys, everyone knows the only way to save rock 'n roll is to keep repeating over and over again what slowly killed if for the last 40 years. I think the next logical step is a band that does kids songs like the Wiggles, but dresses like Portals. You'll get enough viral clicks at the beginning, and sell enough product out the back end to make a gajillion dollars. A whole new generation of grindcore dads will buy it for their kids, buy t-shirts for themselves, take the whole family to a $100/ticket arena show (probably on ice)...shit, actually, who wants to do this with me?