Ghost notes?

• Thread starter Gabriel 1313
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriel 1313

A minor slip
Reaction score
I have heard this term used many times. I use my pinky and ring finger to pick at strings during some riffs and melodies when I feel like I need to fill in a "space". Most of the time my delay will due this but other times I like the added notes.Coming from a classical piano background, I have always used my left hand technique to do triads and arppegios, sometimes at 16 and 32 note speed, so, I have just begun applying this technique to my right hand with the guitar.

My question is, is this a coomon approach when writing developing riffs and rythymms for your material using "ghost" notes?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
There are lots of techniques to play ghost notes.

Method one: Just slide quickly from the ghost note to the actual note, just a fraction of a beat before the actual note.
Method two: Hammer-on or pull-off the same way
Method three: Make sure that the note has some unfinished business, then kill the note, but don't bury it. After a few days, hold a seance to summit the note back to the moral plane that is your fretboard.

Method one is the lowest effort, and the most common by far, but method three is the most metal :hbang:

jaxadam

Reaction score
This Ghost definitely had notes of citrus.

1453A9B0-8517-41BD-8718-2C2514B98E54.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
When I think ghost notes, I think drumming, no so much guitar. I had to google what it even means in a guitar context.

What Bostjan is talking about is more commonly called Grace Notes, short for appoggiatura or acciaccatura, a little note before another note.

Ghost note I have not used as a term to describe a note before another note - I have heard it used in reference plenty on guitar though but almost always talking about percussive dead notes inbetween unmuted notes, usually tabbed with an X (whereas a gracenote is tabbed with a small number).

It is not clear to me 100% which Gabriel is referring to, but it does sound more like the latter to me (fingerpicking other dead muted strings?)

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
When I think ghost notes, I think drumming, no so much guitar. I had to google what it even means in a guitar context.

Same here, I just call those mutes with a guitar. I suppose I can see how they CAN be called ghost notes, but it’s still odd to me.

Gabriel 1313

A minor slip
Reaction score
There are lots of techniques to play ghost notes.

Method one: Just slide quickly from the ghost note to the actual note, just a fraction of a beat before the actual note.
Method two: Hammer-on or pull-off the same way
Method three: Make sure that the note has some unfinished business, then kill the note, but don't bury it. After a few days, hold a seance to summit the note back to the moral plane that is your fretboard.

Method one is the lowest effort, and the most common by far, but method three is the most metal :hbang:

Gabriel 1313

A minor slip
Reaction score
I think step three is the proven method. But I am going to work with your step two, while conjuring.
Ghost note might be odd to some guitarist, but here in Big Sky Country, I think I will just stick with ghost note, which to me implies something you can here.....Booooberry, but not seen. I don't so much mute the particular note, but I actually have a nice attavk, let it really ring, and let the delay at 517ms do the rest. I have been doing this for around a year now, and the result is a big, thick tone, with the other nuances created by "ghoast notes. a friend of mine said it was like adding another guitar to him.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score

in my teens I often put songs on repeat for hours but this one in particular was the only one I played so much my dad came and told me to stop but he couldn't shake me out of it, turns out the CD was haunted and we had to call an exorcist from california

dad never forgave me but he gave me the CD so whose fault is it really?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
in my teens I often put songs on repeat for hours but this one in particular was the only one I played so much my dad came and told me to stop but he couldn't shake me out of it, turns out the CD was haunted and we had to call an exorcist from california

dad never forgave me but he gave me the CD so whose fault is it really?
California band's fault.

Latest posts