Gibson SG Truss Rod Hex Slot Filled with Glue

• Thread starter sezna
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all.

I recently got my first Gibson -- an SG. I normally buy weird boutique eastern european guitars with icepick trebley pickups, so this was a huge departure for me. I had to scratch the itch though. It's a Chicago Music Exchange custom run in Black Beauty colors. I got it from Chicago Music Exchange.

Anyway, it played fine, frets were shit as expected, and the binding was not even sanded. Whatever, it's Gibson. So I tolerated this. But, I just sat down to adjust the truss rod for the first time, and I saw this:
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 8.27.03 PM Large.jpeg

Yeah, the truss rot hex slot is completely filled with glue. Nothing can fit in there, and the slot can't be adjusted. I reached out to CME, as they assured me their tech set it up before I got it. They said they were able to adjust the truss rod with "special tools". When I talked to a different guy at the shop, he gave a different story, saying they didn't have to touch the truss rod, and that this is something Gibson does to "protect the truss rod".

Specifically, they said (sic):
This protects the truss rod while the guitar is finished. We did set it up, but it didn't require a truss rod tweak howvver you can adjust the truss rod now and get the action set to your desired height problem.

I've followed up twice since that last email and haven't heard anything back yet. I guess I'm posting this thread here as a horror story. But also: how would you fix this issue? CME seems to be sticking their heels in the mud. Should I just dump some Acetone in there? Have any of you ever seen this issue before? Am I the crazy one here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nickgray

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Gibsons don't use a hex key, the nut itself is what you adjust using a nut driver.

9640805_800.jpg

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Oh my god you're right. I'm the idiot here. I will now call them back and own up to it. Wish I could edit the top post and lead with that. Thank you so much.

Also, being a Gibson dealer I've seen WAX on the truss rod nut but never glue.

So you should be able to just scrape it off easily, if it is glue then it's also likely easy to come off.

At least this isn't like before when they would paint the truss rod

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Also, being a Gibson dealer I've seen WAX on the truss rod nut but never glue.

So you should be able to just scrape it off easily, if it is glue then it's also likely easy to come off.

At least this isn't like before when they would paint the truss rod
It might be wax. I just know that I've never seen a truss rod area looking like that. I know Gibson isn't known for QC, but this was really eye opening to me.

GÜMERSINDO

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue with my Explorer, had to remove the glue because the truss rod couldn´t fit in.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Guys, its not glue, its not wax, its nitro clearcoat from when the guitar was painted. It's fine.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
To be clear, I have completely owned up to this. I thought a hex nut was supposed to go in that slot, but in reality a wrench goes outside of it. I am the fool.

Live and learn, enjoy your guitar!