Gimme some good tunes with heavy trem (Floyd, not Leslie speaker) use.

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I’ve been practicing a lot of shreddy and technical stuff, but I’m sure there’s got to be some modern stuff with trem usage. I know about EVH, Vai, etc. But feel free to suggest anything, really. The more Floyd practice the better!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nik_Left_RG

Reaction score
Ice 9 - Joe Satriani -- I think it was called 'Lizard down the throat' trick or something :D or Satch Boogie .. Come to think Surfing with the Alien has a lot of nice songs using whammy bars..

tedtan

Reaction score
To reiterate what everyone has already said, Dimebag, EVH, Vai and Jeff Beck are probably your top choices here, even if they aren't the new kids on the block.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Jeff Beck, modern Beck at least, is huge in this respect.

Also, +1 on the George Lynch recommendation - he often palms the bar while he's playing, and he's got this thing for coming into notes from slightly above or slightly below, which I suspect is a combination of bending and bar. I think it sounds awesome, and I'm absolutely not able to do it myself. :lol:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Anything more recent? I’m not sure if it’s because I’m not listening to the stuff that has it, or if it’s because they’re just not used as much as the 80s shred stuff.

@Drew I gotta check out some of that Lynch coming into notes from below or above. That’s super cool, and I never really noticed that.

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Anything more recent? I’m not sure if it’s because I’m not listening to the stuff that has it, or if it’s because they’re just not used as much as the 80s shred stuff.

@Drew I gotta check out some of that Lynch coming into notes from below or above. That’s super cool, and I never really noticed that.

this was my first thought. at 48 seconds

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Ayreon songs featuring Michael Romeo have some incredible trem work that is so subtle and vocal, blows my mind! I wish I had technique like that.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
Old I know, but if you learned the last 5 seconds of Brad Gillis' part of the "Don't tell me you love me" solo and then played it first every time you picked up a guitar thereafter, you'd be my hero.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Pink Floyd uses lots of Floyd. Seriously, Gilmore uses it a bunch and it's not just divebombs.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Pink Floyd uses lots of Floyd. Seriously, Gilmore uses it a bunch and it's not just divebombs.

Yeah, Gilmore isn’t mentioned nearly enough on here for his solos. Generally everyone goes on an on about Comfortably Numb, but I think Time has a much better solo. I’m gonna have to check out his trem wankery, too - I hadn’t even considered him for this!

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Yeah, Gilmore isn’t mentioned nearly enough on here for his solos. Generally everyone goes on an on about Comfortably Numb, but I think Time has a much better solo. I’m gonna have to check out his trem wankery, too - I hadn’t even considered him for this!
I love Floyd but oddly never tried with effort to play anything by them. If you want some far out territory for trem wankery from them though check out the interlude part to echoes. He gets pretty strange on that one with the trem if I remember right, It's like he's making his guitar laugh with it. It might be effects or something. I'd have to check out the Pompei version so I could see what's he's doing on it. Comes in about 12min or so.
- Edit: Now that I see it it doens't show what he's doing on that part. It might be aan efffect or something. There's lots of stuff from Gilmore though.

Last edited: