Goals/Progress Thread

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
I figured it might by nice for those of us reaching for a specific goal, whatever that goal may be, to have a thread where we can share our progress. Maybe it will keep some of us focused more.

Whatever your goal, weight loss or gain, building muscle or getting leaner, share it here!

Here's my progress so far:

Just recently started running outdoors again (couldn't during the winter do to a tube dysfunction in my ear) and I'm happy to say that my pace isn't that bad after not running for a couple months. I was able to keep around the 5:50 mark for three miles, so I'm pretty excited, as I thought I'd have dropped much further. Although I will admit, my cardio has gone down, and breathing was a bit more painful than usual do to my lungs not being used to the stress. of actually running, despite all of the circuit training I did through the winter.

I'm a little over 140 right now, according to my doctor trip two weeks ago (thought I was less), and while that's fine by me, I know I'll end up losing some weight from running.

Ultimately, my goal is to get back into competitive shape and do some races this summer.

Tiger

Reaction score
Man Id give anything to run that fast. I dont think Ill ever do sub 6 minute stuff for anything longer than 1.5 miles...I just wasnt born to be fast. : /

Right now my only goals are kicking my team members asses and

A) Run/complete the Grindstone 100 miler in Virginia, preferably in 22 hours or less
B) Break 400lb deadlift without getting heavier than 145
C) Get up to 360 squat on my next smolov routine (Haha yea f'n right!)

Infamous Impact

Reaction score
I have some high goals myself...
1. Get under 48.50 in the 400m by the time I graduate (state record).
2. Same as Tiger, but 4 plate deadlift at 150-160 and FINISH this hellacious Smolov routine.
3. Somehow do Cross Country and get a 5k at under 18 minutes.
Having ambitious goals is important, you need something to keep you motivated. Some may say it's bad but only if you don't do extensive planning beforehand. I wish good luck to everyone who wants to improve and good job on getting off their asses and crossing off things on their bucket list.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I am losing a pile of fat this year, then getting my ass back into decent shape. Step one is go from 173 down to under 140, currently down to 155. After that I'll be running and doing minor lifting with goals of a 20 minute or less 5k and being able to easily carry around my 80 lb 1x12 combo, while continuing to keep my weight under 140.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
You know what, this thread is a great idea. I'm gonna post my goals here and regularly post updates, somewhat like a log. :lol:
By end of summer (start of junior year, just turned 16)
Bench: 285
Squat: 405
Clean: 255
Deadlift: 450
40 yd dash: 4.9 or lower
Current
Bench: 270
Squat: 360
Clean: 230
Deadlift: 415
40 yd dash: 5.03
I hope to maintain my current weight as well.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
My current goals for late June/early July:

1. 10%> bodyfat with same (preferably increased) muscle mass, hovering around 11-13% currently.
2. 1.5xbodyweight squat for reps (currently at 1.1xbodyweight) and 2xbodyweight deadlift for reps by the same time (currently at 1.5x bodyweight)
3. 3 sets of at least 10 chinups when training, currently transitioning between 3x6 and 3x7, a year ago I could do 0x0 :lol:

LETS DO DIS

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Progress:
Bulked from 150 slightly chubby to 182 slightly chubby over the course of 18 months. Gained a lot of strength.

Now trying to cut down to about 11% bodyfat by June (just above 170lb I reckon will look good). From then I plan to bulk very very slowly and carefully so I never need to cut again haha. Final goal is a solid ripped 180/185, so at least 10 more pound of muscle than what I have now.

Infamous Impact

Reaction score
One can't do what seems impossible without extensive planning and preparation before working their asses off to achieve it. SO here's what I plan to do to realize my goals.

1. Get under 48.50 in the 400m by the time I graduate (state record).
Right now my best time is 49.96s, and I'm a (still developing) very short sophomore. This goal seems too easy to get, but the guy who has the 400m school record will graduate soon and he broke it as a sophomore then plateaued, so I'm going to aim for 48s flat by the time I graduate, if not lower. I'll do this by continuing my weight lifting and plyometrics program along with track workouts (weight room has benefited me more right now) and gaining as much endurance I can from distance running.

2. Same as Tiger, but 4 plate deadlift at 150-160 and FINISH this hellacious Smolov routine.
I'm a month into this, currently 2 weeks in the base mesocycle and my squat has gone from 300 to 335. I'm not sure how much of it is still from newb gains (9 months lifting now), but this program definitely works. Depending on how much I can squat at the end of the cycle, I will most likely be able to deadlift 415lbs when I can deadlift again (can't do any deads during this program). The Smolov Squat routine is very painful with it's high volume of squatting heavily leaving me sore almost indefinitely. The upside to it is that I can eat nearly 5k calories a day for recovering and it hasn't affected my performance on the track.

3. Somehow do Cross Country and get a 5k at under 18 minutes.
Over summer I'll increase my endurance so I can run for 40 minutes at a 7:00 pace then up the speed until I'm comfortable with hitting an 18 minute 5k. I can run a 5:40 mile on most days so the 12:20 2 mile requirement for XC won't be too much of a hurdle.

So what are you guys doing to make sure your goals are possible? I'm interested in a few things you all want and I want to see what you're doing to get it.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
1. Increase my Single String alt pick to 17 NPS (16NPS right now)

2. Save up enough money for Axe-Fx 2 (I'm tired of carrying my rig around...it weights to much. 20ish% of the way there right now. )

3. Commit to doing Strong Lifts 5x5 properly. (I was doing it regularly last summer and lost a ton of weight and increased my lifts like crazy.)

4. Get my 'B' class license so I have 2 jobs come next September. (Already "potentially hired" by a company and get the free training. So I just have to sign some shit, get the training, get the medical and police check and pass the tests.

Murmel

Reaction score
Getting my deadlift to atleast 100kg by the end of summer. Currently at 85kg. No I'm not very strong, yet :lol:
Also eat like crazy and work my ass off so I'll gain some weight. Currently at 70-72kg.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I'd like to tone up and lose the beer gut.. Ill have no problem with the beer gut, but have no idea where to start for muscle gain, and can't afford the gym.

Edit: Went for a run today, first time in about a month or two.. just have to stick to it, might try pick up some weights when I have some spare $$

Maniacal

Reaction score
In terms of exercise, right now I want to cut to about 102 kilos. Currently I am 111.

I also want to enter a triathlon at the end of the year.

Blind Theory

Reaction score
1) Get my running back up to 3-5 miles, 5 days a week.
2) Gain 10-15 pounds of muscle as quickly as I can.
3) Once I have the muscle mass, get as defined as I can.
4) Look sexy as hell.:cool::lol:

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
I'm getting my weight back down from 94kg to around 82 kg. (That's 207lb to 180lb for all you still using imperial). I'm doing it purely diet based and am aiming for that by the end of 3 months.
At day 17 and I'm already down to 91kg. My excel graphing skills tell me I am right on track :D (I'll put the graph up at the end of it all for everyone to oogle at :lol:) Best bit i I haven't felt any strength loss, so I must be doing something right.

At the end of it, I'm aiming to keep the weight off and to keep up the healthy eating. Defo feeling much better for it. :yesway:

troyguitar

Reaction score
Was out of town on business for a week and a half eating with other people and on the company's dime, gained back 5 lbs to 160 again :lol:

On the plus side I now have my treadmill in my apartment and will be starting up running again this weekend.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Man Id give anything to run that fast. I dont think Ill ever do sub 6 minute stuff for anything longer than 1.5 miles...I just wasnt born to be fast. : /

Don't worry, running fast isn't all it's cracked up to be. Actually, it really, really, really hurts the entire time. It's more mental than physical.

Progress:
I haven't been able to run outside for the past week (been too cold) but I have been annihilating my spin bike every other morning, keeping a consistent circuit training routine going as well to keep my cardio up.

soliloquy

Reaction score
my current stat:
170lbs
body fat % at 18.5

my goal is to be at:
180lbs
body fat % at 12ish

by 2013 spring.

i hate cardio, working out is my cardio. the only issue i have with working out is i lack routine. the best shape i've ever been in was at 165lbs at 14% body fat about a year and a half ago. and the only reason why i was able to do that was because i was unemployed and my university was on strike. and since i'm a part timer, i can work 7AM or i can work at night, and it constantly keeps throwing my routine off balance. and if its not work, then its family related bs, or my gf nagging at me or some other shit...:(