Going .13's (on a six)

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So tomorrow I'm going to setup my C-1 to run:

.013 .017 .026 .036 .046 .062

Other than some bridge adjustments, anything I should be leary of?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
in standard tuning? damn.
I Wouldnt think there'd be anything to worry about besides the bridge (If you got a floating on it, especially).. but then i've never used anything bigger than 11's.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
in standard tuning? damn.
I Wouldnt think there'd be anything to worry about besides the bridge (If you got a floating on it, especially).. but then i've never used anything bigger than 11's.

It's not a floater, it's stringthrough:

c1bridge.jpg

So hopefully it'll just take a wee adjusting to get 'er in tune. No WAY I'd hassle with going from 11's to 13's on a floater. I'm not that sadistic. :D

Digital Black

Reaction score
Chris said:
So tomorrow I'm going to setup my C-1 to run:

.013 .017 .026 .036 .046 .062

Other than some bridge adjustments, anything I should be leary of?
Trussrod for sure...Espcially if you have a light gauge on now..

Virtue

Prog Nut
Reaction score
Sephiroth000 said:

I believe he could downtune it to avoid major trussrod adjustments. It might not be perfect but it sounds like he's trying to avoid that. :cool:

Digital Black

Reaction score
Virtue said:
I believe he could downtune it to avoid major trussrod adjustments. It might not be perfect but it sounds like he's trying to avoid that. :cool:
Pretty much any change in tension on the neck would require some adjustment IMO.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Sephiroth000 said:
i concur.

on a fixed bridge guitar, changing the tension on your truss rod won't be overly difficult. the hardcore tension that your strings are going to be pulling, it will most definitely warp the neck. that's not terribly bad, since guitar necks are built to do that, but if you want to keep the same action that you have with the lighter gauge, then you'll need to tighten it up.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, 13's are crazy in standard tuning. It's like playing a chain-link fence.

You're not out of your mind, are you? :nuts:

:D

EnigmaUV7

Reaction score
Good luck man. Even macho man Stevie Ray Vaughn finally had to give up 13s (or heavier!) because they were taking a serious toll on his wrists. Then again, he was a very active lead player tuned to Eflat. When you have carpal tunnel syndrome one day, you will be wondering if whatever extra tone you got was worth it. :lol:

Speaking of tone, Hendrix, Eric Johnson, Clapton, etc. used 9s/10s and got great tone. You don't have to use overhead power lines on your guitar to get decent tone. :D

EnigmaUV7

Reaction score
In standard tuning?? You might want to go ahead and schedule an appointment with your doctor for carpal tunnel syndrome. :lol: Even SRV eventually saw his wrists were getting beat up and finally went back to 11s in the end.

If you can't get good tone with 11s, something else is missing, it's not your strings.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've got 'em on down a fullstep, and man-oh-man are they meaty. I don't think I'd get another set, but I'll be damned if they don't _feel_ metal. :D

Standard tuning was not going to happen, just way, way too much tension.