Going back to axe fx?

• Thread starter jjcor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jjcor

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a Kemper. I've had it about a week. I use it only for recording, don't gig anymore. And I plugged it in, went through some presets, downloaded L.L.'s rig pack and found an awesome tone all within the first night. I've been using it every night since but have felt very underwhelmed. I've owned all 3 axe fx's before and sold them over a year ago to save funds to purchase a house. Now that I'm back into it I decided I would try something different and for the kemper. I thought I hated tweaking tones but now that I don't have too I kinda miss it. I use to love getting weird presets from axe exchange. It would inspire me to write. The kemper is more straight forward, which is awesome, but I feel like it may not be for me. Has anyone else felt like this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
Yep... sounds like a 1st world dilemma! :lol:

Seriously though, if you like tweaking, go for it.

I really would like to have all those AMAZING effects that FAS offers again. The one thing I do miss from my Ultra.

But the effects in the KPA are no slouch either. They'll work for me.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I feel the exact opposite for the time being... I love the straight-forwardness of the Kemper and I can't be happier to have switched over. The Axe did cool things but to me, the tweaking took away from my time spent just playing the guitar which is something I didn't enjoy about it.

jjcor

Reaction score
I feel the exact opposite for the time being... I love the straight-forwardness of the Kemper and I can't be happier to have switched over. The Axe did cool things but to me, the tweaking took away from my time spent just playing the guitar which is something I didn't enjoy about it.

That's the way I thought I was going to feel but I guess not. I also have to consider that when I had the axe fx I was playing in a band, so I needed to find good tone quickly to continue writing quickly. But now that it's on my terms and for personal use only I don't have "deadlines" to meet...

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Interesting thought. I was getting annoyed with myself on the AxeFX. Because I could tweak so much that's ALL I ever did. :lol:

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I love the tweakabity of the Axes too. A big part of my decision to go with an Axe-FX 2 over a Kemper. They both sound awesome so if you like having a ridiculous amount of control over every single aspect of your sound and tweaking it, jump back to the Axe!

jjcor

Reaction score
I love the tweakabity of the Axes too. A big part of my decision to go with an Axe-FX 2 over a Kemper. They both sound awesome so if you like having a ridiculous amount of control over every single aspect of your sound and tweaking it, jump back to the Axe!

I just contacted sweetwater to return it. Im gonna go back to what I know for now. Maybe in the future when I save up a little money I will buy another kemper just for fun.:yesway:

wakjob

Reaction score
I just contacted sweetwater to return it. Im gonna go back to what I know for now. Maybe in the future when I save up a little money I will buy another kemper just for fun.:yesway:

I bought my KPA through AMS because I thought Sweetwater only gave back store credit?

AMS was the only place that seemed to give you your cash back, minus shipping for the return.

Plus 45 days to try as apposed to 30.

jjcor

Reaction score
I bought my KPA through AMS because I thought Sweetwater only gave back store credit?

AMS was the only place that seemed to give you your cash back, minus shipping for the return.

Plus 45 days to try as apposed to 30.

I called and they gave me that option or exchange or refund minus shipping fees. So I took the refund.

wakjob

Reaction score
:wallbash:

If I'd known that, I would have gone through Sweetwater. I like doing business with them. Felt like a traitor when I put in my order with AMS.

I didn't see that anywhere in the Return Policy on their site.

jjcor

Reaction score
Lol. Yea here's the return policy

"No Hassle" Return Policy:
We want you to be completely happy with your purchase. If you are not satisfied with any product, for any reason, you may return it for a refund of the purchase price, an in-house credit, or exchange for another product within a fair amount of time from the shipping date (usually 30 days). If your purchase was eligible for free shipping, the shipping cost will be deducted from your credit or refund.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
I wish I knew someone local with a Kemper that I could swap for like a week and see what I like better. I have had the Axe-Fx II for quite a while now and I'm really used to how to tweak it to get awesome tones, but it would be nice to have something that is easy to dial up and sits in the mix well right off the bat.

I do really enjoy how on the ball the Fractal team is though. They are constantly fixing bugs and doing firmware upgrades with new amps and pedals. So, for that reason I really want to keep it.

jjcor

Reaction score
but it would be nice to have something that is easy to dial up and sits in the mix well right off the bat.

See that's what I wanted as well, which is exactly what you will get! I just miss the crazy presets that the axe has.

Im so torn between these.:wallbash: I may have to just wait it out for a couple of months and buy the axe fx II and A/B them and then sell which ever one I don't like. Im sure sweetwater wouldn't mind me not returning it.:lol:

Loganator259

Reaction score
I got a Kemper a few weeks back and love it. The other guitarist in my band has an Axe Fx II, they are both fantastic units, I would like to have all the effects and routing options of the Axe, but the simplicity of the Kemper is hard to beat. And I find myself really liking the effects in the Kemper, and being able to download new amps all the time is awesome.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
I should just sell my ENGL and get the Kemper power rack and have the Axe II all in the same rack case. Problem solved....:metal:

jjcor

Reaction score
I should just sell my ENGL and get the Kemper power rack and have the Axe II all in the same rack case. Problem solved....:metal:

That would be a killer set up!:shred:

I gotta wait till next month, then I'm gonna get the axe fx II! :scream:

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Kempler amps with the axe-fx's effects.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android