Going passive in my Jim Root tele

• Thread starter Coryd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Coryd

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I’m looking for a good option to go passive with my Jim Root Tele. Here are some bands I’m into below and I’ll also be tuning down drop C# and as low as drop B. Breaking Benjamin, Sevendust, Alice In Chains, 311, Deftones, POD, etc.

So I’ve tried Duncan Custom, 59/custom hybrid, JB (been forever tho), custom custom, 59. From Dimarzio I’ve tried Dominion, D Activator, X2n, Crunchlab.

I’m looking for something medium output that isn’t just completely screaming so I can get some good cleans too. Currently I have a 59/custom in one of my teles and like it but want to try something different.

I’ve been tossing around maybe trying a JB again but I’m just not sure.

Anyways any and all suggestions are welcome!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
I would go jb. But, have you ever taken a look at the DiMarzio D-Activator X set? They're not medium output but I find them versatile and tweak-able to your liking. It also has a very nice parallel mode tone.

elkoki

Reaction score
Maybe try the p rails with the triple shot rings ? Tons of tonal options

Mura

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I recommend Rail Knock & Rail Song made by a Russian manufacturer called ARB Pickups.

They can be purchased for about the same price as DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan pickups, but with quality comparable to Bare Knuckle or Lundgren pickups.

It is passive, but has the clarity and tight bass of an active, and coil splitting transforms the guitar into a Telecaster.

The purchase requires some effort as you have to contact them through Facebook or VK (a social networking site like the Russian version of Facebook), but considering the price and performance, the effort is negligible.

Coryd

Reaction score
Many thanks for the options so far guys! Keep them coming!

I've looked at the P rails pickups a bit, but not much.
I'll say that the JB is at the top of my list at the moment. It has been forever since I tried one, and I'm leaning towards the JB direction at the moment.
Rail Knock and Rail song sound nice, but I'm not sure I want to go through that much effort to snag some pickups.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I’m looking for something medium output that isn’t just completely screaming so I can get some good cleans too.
A Jim Root signature guitar for good cleans? :scratch: Not what I was expecting when I opened this thread haha!

Do you need to be able to get good cleans from both pickups or just the neck?

Coryd

Reaction score
A Jim Root signature guitar for good cleans? :scratch: Not what I was expecting when I opened this thread haha!

Do you need to be able to get good cleans from both pickups or just the neck?
I hear ya lol. I think I’m just done with active pickups.

I’d like to be able to get decent cleans I guess. Doesn’t have to be the best cleans though. I’m just looking for something more versatile and medium-ish output.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Any particular characteristics you want more or less of compared to the 59/Custom Hybrid? That or the Custom Custom would normally be where my mind jumps to when thinking of medium output and versatility from Seymour Duncan :shrug: you might also enjoy the Pegasus in the bridge position for something slightly more modern and mid-forward without necessarily being a metal/djent pickup.

On the Dimarzio side, you might like the Breed or PAF Pro, depending on whether you want something fatter or brighter, respectively. I've compared the Breed and Dominion back-to-back in the same guitar and the Breed was a little lower output, more broad in its midrange focus, and less "immediate" in the bottom end. I went as low as A# with it and it held up fine, so I imagine C# or B like you're doing will be no problem.

Coryd

Reaction score
I do like the 59/custom I will admit. I just want something a little different for the Jim Root. I’m still leaning towards probably a JB.

I haven’t heard many opinions on the Pegasus. I think most of what I read on it the consensus has been that it is just ok. Then again I haven’t ever played a guitar with one though.

On the Dimarzio side I was tossing around the idea of a Fortitude or maybe a 36th anniversary PAF. Still leaning towards the JB at the moment though.

Latest posts