Going to the Dark Side? (Mac OS/Logic)

• Thread starter VacantPlanet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VacantPlanet

Reaction score
So I've recently found that I can get a new mac for a good price and I can get a good price on Logic Pro X through my work, so I'm really tempted to switch from my current Windows/Reaper setup to Mac/Logic. I work with alot of Midi's and Synths, and being able to tab my stuff within the DAW sounds pretty cool along with the groove features.

Is there anyone here who's tried both and has an opinion? Pros/Cons ect? Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
There is a tab editor for Reaper. Plus, you can always load it on your MAC in case you decide its better for some things/work flow.

VacantPlanet

Reaction score
Oh yeah? I'll have to check the tab editor out. I'm mainly concerned with MIDI edibility. Working with MIDI in Reaper can be a pain.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
True...I pretty much only do basic synth and drum programming and I often wish I could a MIDI editor from any other DAW inside of reaper.

Aris_T

Reaction score
Went from pc/cubase to osx/logic. IMO after the get-to-know period, all DAWs are pretty much the same. You should keep in mind that the most important issue will be the crossing from PC to Mac. Logic is a complete platform and it'll cover all your needs.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I recently switched from PC to Mac. IMHO they are so much nicer than they were 5 or 10 years ago. Super powerful even for the laptops, and the laptop trackpads are magic. Finder is still a little bitch though. Can't comment on DAWs since I've only ever used logic and only recently got my own copy.

Rustee

†The Skyrim Bard†
Reaction score
Most DAWs can't stand up to Logic's MIDI capabilities. While it's true that at the root of things, most DAWs are the same, it's all about workflow. I love Pro Tools for tracking, and I can't see myself using anything but Logic for songwriting & midi sequencing. I don't have much experience with Reaper but from what I've heard you can make it behave like Pro Tools because you can change templates(?), and I know people who swear by it for mixing.

I prefer mac because I find it more aesthetically pleasing but that's up to you. I feel like you would benefit from switching to Mac if you're somebody who works with midi simply because of logic. With the piano roll and event list you can get really damn fast at programming. My advice would be not to 'switch' from Reaper to Logic, but to use both. They're both great at different things.