Good Midi Keyboards + Midi USB Interfaces

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
1-> I've wanted to kind of be able to play rudimentary keyboards for ages, so I think it's time to take the plunge. What are good midi controller keyboards? Any nice ones in black to appease my vanity? Didin't Yamaha do so? I am clueless as you can see...

2-> I need to add Midi capability to my PC for recording and being able to run some fun programs to program rack things, but mainly to play the aforementioned keyboard and be able to record simple lines etc straight into my sequencer (and then quantize them, muhahahahaha!)

So, advice needed! Help me!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Do you specifically want a midi controller, or do you want a keyboard that has midi compatability?

I've got a Yamaha DGX-520, which is a full size, fully featured keyboard (around 150 stock sounds, plus the ability to add your own) and it has midi capability via USB. You can play it like a normal keyboard without the pc, but also record directly over the USB. It was about £400 new on Ebay.

As for controlling midi gear via pc, I bought a USB to midi adaptor for about £30 from Maplins. To be honest, I don't have much need for it now, so if I can find it you can have it.

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I have an old Roland Alpha Juno 2 that I use as a midi controller - I like the feel of it, and the price was right. I'd check out something like a Roland XP-30 on ebay. I don't think that dedicated controllers are worth it - for about the same price, you can get something used that will actually have usable sounds as well.

As for an interface, I'm happy with my M-Audio Midisport Uno, but anything will do here.

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
If you're looking for something to plug into your USB port. I used to be a really big fan of the Evolution gear. But since they've all but been swallowed up by M-Audio. You're now looking at their Axiom line for something with similar features.

Recently. I tried out their Axiom 61 controller and was really impressed. 61 semi-weighted keys, a smiliar slider/knob layout to the older Evolution gear, it also has transport controls and some drum pads. And of course it's in a dark-grey case with black trim.

They also make a 25 and 49-key version. M-Audio Axiom

Roland makes something similar without the drumpads. Roland/Edirol PCR Series

Both of the above will give you a MIDI port (1 in/1 out).

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
im having lots of fun with the Roland Juno G at school. its a great keyboard. no idea how much though, since I didnt buy it O_O

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I have a Midisport 2x2 and my old faithful Alesis QS7. I'd be hardpressed to get a stand alone controller, because I'd never be able to reproduce those sounds live. Having a sampling synth makes more sense, unless you never intend to perform.

If I were of the latter minded, I'd possibly consider the Line6 KB37, since it has no sounds of its own, but uses vst's instead, and it is useful as a mic preamp, and input device to the computer. Basically, it's a sound card with a keyboard controller installed.