Good speaker to pair with V30

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking to have a 2x12 set up by avatar and I have an affinity for V30s and plan on putting one in there but was thinking about throwing a different speaker in for the second speaker. I play mostly modern metal/hardcore/death stuff and want a more modern sound, articulate and tight but I want to retain some thickness and creaminess. Basically I want all the mid/high end character and bite from the V30, but want to blend in a thicker warmer speaker. Any ideas?

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I like creambacks with v30s. The v30 is 60w/100spl: the M65 is 65w/97spl and the H75 is 75w/100spl so the 75w is better balanced from a loudness perspective; but I have a 412 v30/m65 cab and it sounds great too. If I was loading a 212 I’d probably go for the h75 though, just to maximize the loudness and have even output from both speakers. This is also a great pairing if you’re planning on recording with it. You can get pretty distinct tones by either mic’ing each speaker or placing 2 mics on one or the other.

Other combos would be the K100 100w/99spl and the t75 75w/97spl which are both loved and hated by many. I think t75s are great speakers with the right amps. The K100 has a massive low end and is great for modern metal, but I think it’s only an 8 ohm speaker, so you’d be making either a 4 or 16 ohm cab if you choose it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
^ They’re both right.

Creamback (I’ve had amazing results with the H75).

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
I have 2 cabs with a V30 + G12t75 and v30 + K100

Much love for both regardless of which amp I am using it with. I prefer the K100 one as it's vertical. That's the only reason. Must do something about that..

jarledge

Reaction score
everyone pretty much already said what I would have said. v30+ creamback(redback,65,or 75) , v30+ g12t 75 or 100 or 12k100 but I would add in 3 more options.

The eminence swamp thang, and the eminence cannabis rex. If you want a really thick low end the swamp thang is brutal. The rex doesn't have as much extended low end but has a really awesome low mid presence that fills out the upper mids of the 30.

The Jensen electric lightning. I bought one but have yet to install it to hear it in person. I do have a couple of IRs for it and that was what made me buy it. It seems like a good all around tonal profile, just with a little bit shifted mid focus, and maybe a little darker sounding in general.

I love mixing up pairs of speakers though. You can get some really interesting results and I have been pretty happy with most combos I have tried out with the exception of the v30 and greenback. The v30s I have are really really raspy in the highs and the greenback is already pretty narrow focused in the mids so the cab just sounds excessively bright/shrill. I am not the biggest fan of either speaker by themselves but found that combo to bring the worst out of both.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Anyone have any input on this? I'm still deciding what speaker to put in the other cab, and I've already asked this in another thread but got no answer, there will be a V30 in the right cab, and wondering what to put in the left, which is about 6 to 7 feet away on the other side of my desk, both slanted baffle to where the speaker is pointed up slightly and kinked in to get both facing the "user". My question is if I have a very different speaker on the left side, will this sound/feel unbalanced? I've had many cabs over the years, but I've always stuck with V30's and usually kept either all in one cab, or just a 1x12, never one speaker on either side of my body across the room. Will this make a differnce in the "blending" of the two speakers? Should I just get another V30 because I love them and want to get what I love and have it be balanced and equal on both sides of me? I just dont want to by a non returnable once opened speaker if its going to sound weird right out of the box because of the positioning of them.

gnoll

Reaction score
If it's for the same cab or a cab next to the first one get a V32. If it's for a cab on the opposite side of the room get a V31.

jarledge

Reaction score
Anyone have any input on this? I'm still deciding what speaker to put in the other cab, and I've already asked this in another thread but got no answer, there will be a V30 in the right cab, and wondering what to put in the left, which is about 6 to 7 feet away on the other side of my desk, both slanted baffle to where the speaker is pointed up slightly and kinked in to get both facing the "user". My question is if I have a very different speaker on the left side, will this sound/feel unbalanced? I've had many cabs over the years, but I've always stuck with V30's and usually kept either all in one cab, or just a 1x12, never one speaker on either side of my body across the room. Will this make a differnce in the "blending" of the two speakers? Should I just get another V30 because I love them and want to get what I love and have it be balanced and equal on both sides of me? I just dont want to by a non returnable once opened speaker if its going to sound weird right out of the box because of the positioning of them.

if you want something that is going to pair up pretty well, just go with the celestion g12t-65 or 75 creambacks. If you like the 30, chances are good you will like either one of those. There are a large number of comparison videos on youtube with different speakers paired with the 30. Check out the zilla cabs youtube page. They have good quality demos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ZillaCabs

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
if you want something that is going to pair up pretty well, just go with the celestion g12t-65 or 75 creambacks. If you like the 30, chances are good you will like either one of those. There are a large number of comparison videos on youtube with different speakers paired with the 30. Check out the zilla cabs youtube page. They have good quality demos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ZillaCabs
I'm sorry, misunderstanding my question I think, I'm wondering if because it is paired left and right differently, will it be weird because theyre not in the same cab? i dont want one side feeling thick and full and another sounding thin or different in some parts. i'm wondering if I should pair the same speaker because theyre not going in the same cabinet, theyre going across the room from each other.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Your first post said you were using a 2x12. Is it a 2x12 or a pair of 1x12s?

LCW

Reaction score
These Zilla vids are awesome for listening to mixed pairs. They happen to have one for the V30…

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Your first post said you were using a 2x12. Is it a 2x12 or a pair of 1x12s?
haha 2 situations that I just realized I mixed up. I have 2 1x12's, one empty, 1 v30'd, and also am having an avatar cab built and wondering to know what other speaker to put in it, I must have mixed up situations hahaha

WarMachine

Reaction score
Eminence Governor. You keep the high mids but it pulls a good bit of the sizzle out of the traditional V30.

LCW

Reaction score
I just swapped in a V30 tonight into my SC212 Marshall cab which came stock with V-Types. Extremely pleased with the combo!!!

8087A215-456F-4300-81BD-56161B1530DD.jpeg

3C91E138-DE11-400B-8175-A729B04556F9.jpeg

These Zilla vids helped me decide…