Good tube preamp with onboard USB (no Axe-fx content)

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
Hello all, as the title states, I'm looking for a good tube preamp with onboard USB capabilities very similar to the Axe-fx, just more.. attainable.

I used google with the site: option, but couldn't find anything that was quite right. I've also searched through a few online music stores, but still, none of their preamps seemed to have the functionality that I was looking for.

I'm really attracted to the idea being able to track songs out just by lining through a preamp into the computer, and then mixing it with some software.

Pls set me straight if I'm going about this the wrong way or something. I'm really n00bish to anything that isn't just an amp and a cab. :bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Have you tried useing VTS preamps?

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
I dont think there is a tubepreamp with USB...

Non tube, there's the Eleven Rack.
Avid | Pro Tools + Eleven Rack

But imho for the new-rpice of this, you could just save up a bit more for a used Axe Standard (yeah, you dont want it, but just saying).

Imho, you best bet would be just to get an audiointerface, and use VST-ampmodelling-plugins.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Thinking about it...the Vox Tonelab has a tube, but its still far from analog (which cant be with USB)/"all-tube"/... imho that tube is an "alibi-tube". Has USB also.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
I dont think there is a tubepreamp with USB...

But imho for the new-rpice of this, you could just save up a bit more for a used Axe Standard (yeah, you dont want it, but just saying).

Imho, you best bet would be just to get an audiointerface, and use VST-ampmodelling-plugins.

Haha thanks, it's not so much really that I don't want the Axe-fx, quite the opposite. I'd love one, but the pricetag just isn't very realistic for me right now. I was just hoping there'd be something in the 500-1000ish range that had the same capability.

That being said, what counts as a decent audio interface? I know that m-audio is popular. You guys think it's fine enough with VST?

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
definitely get yourself a decent interface and some vst's
Agreed.
Get yourself a decent interface and pick up something like Peavey Revalver

Running a tube preamp via a USB interface still means that you'll have to use some type of amp/speaker/mic simulation to recreate the full spectrum of the tone. Revalver faithfully simulates the whole setup and can even be used as a standalone turning your computer into a viable rig.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
not an expert on interfaces i have a £50 maudio fastrack interface and it suits me fine.

But once you have an interface theres loads of really cool stuff very cheap or even free

do searches for:-

lepou plugins
reaper
speaker impulses

and if you feel like spending a bit then peaveys revalver is very reasonably priced for what you get £150 in uk not sure in dollars

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I've heard some very acceptable tones from the Tonelab - check out Joop Wolters and Dave Martone on Youtube for some demonstrations. Ok, it's not going to cut your ears off with sonic majesty but for the money it does fulfil all the criteria :)

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
and if you feel like spending a bit then peaveys revalver is very reasonably priced for what you get £150 in uk not sure in dollars

Looks like it's about 300 USD (cursed failing dollar). But that's not at all terrible, especially if it does what it says well enough.

I've heard some very acceptable tones from the Tonelab - check out Joop Wolters and Dave Martone on Youtube for some demonstrations. Ok, it's not going to cut your ears off with sonic majesty but for the money it does fulfil all the criteria :)

Thanks, I'll definitely give the Tonelab a look through.

Actually, looking at this along with the price, it's about exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't aware that even the standard Axe-fx could be found for about this price now.

VST's are great.
If you like tubes, perhaps a tube interface will be a good idea.This PreSonus for example.

haha well it looks like the VST's are winning. Which definitely isn't bad, I love Steinberg and what I've been playing around with in Cubase is pretty good.

And thanks, I hadn't thought about going tube on the interface actually. Though the firewire will be a problem seeing as I don't have a Mac.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
For startup, I think the Line6 StudioPOD UX1 is hard to beat considering its low price. The interface is pretty good for a start, the A/D conversion is on par with the rest in the lower priceclass, and it comes with Podfarm...

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
... OHMY. That seems almost too good to be true. I wonder what the catch is... :squint:

The catch is that it's made by ART :lol:
Try one out before you buy it. I've never really had a good experience with them, though others have.

TaylorMacPhail

Heisenberg
Reaction score
If you are willing to pay up to $1000 then why not save up just a little bit more and buy a used Axe Fx Standard. From what I've heard, it blows all the VST's and competing pre-amps out of the water :p

Last edited:

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
If you are willing to pay up to $1000 then why not save up just a little bit more and buy a used Axe Fx Standard. From what I've heard, it blows all the VST's and competing pre-amps out of the water :p

TBH... I didn't know that Axes could be found for that cheap. :wallbash:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
To note, the ADA MP2 line output with integrated cab sims sounds excellent, much better than more recent preamps imho. But you still need a sound interface.