Good, versatile guitar between $500 and $1000, what would you pick?

• Thread starter JEngelking
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
What the title says.

I want to finally upgrade from my Douglas Telecaster after many years, and am looking for something in that price range. I'm very interested in the PRS Mark Holcomb SE, but it's not currently in stock at Sweetwater and I'm waiting to hear back on if financing can still be used.

Nonetheless, I'd still like some more opinions from you guys on what's the best bang for your buck guitar in that price range. I play everything from post rock to post metal to more modern metal like Periphery, Devin Townsend, etc. and tend to stay in Drop C.

I'm open to seven and eight strings as well, although I do have an old MIJ RG7421 that covers the seven string department, so I'm moreso looking for a six string upgrade.

Thanks guys. :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

that short guy

Reaction score
An LTD EC-1000 are my go to recommendation in that price point. You can get them new and be at the top part of your budget or buy used for about $500-600. They're reliable, fairly good consistent quality, and they've always just felt good in my hands

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
An LTD EC-1000 are my go to recommendation in that price point. You can get them new and be at the top part of your budget or buy used for about $500-600. They're reliable, fairly good consistent quality, and they've always just felt good in my hands

I've considered those actually even though LPs aren't my favorite aesthetically, largely because they have models equipped stock with an Evertune which would be great to have for recording. I'm only afraid of it being a blessing and a curse because it would keep tuning great, but might be a pain if I ever wanted to switch tunings.

Rawkmann

Reaction score
I always come away impressed by PRS SE and Sterling by Music Man guitars whenever I pick one up. Especially if You are looking to purchase a brand new instrument these are usually the first brands I will look at.

bzhan1

Banned
Reaction score
Why sterling/LTD/SE when you can go prestige? New ones start at $1k and you can find pretty much any used ones in your range. They generally have very versatile pickups and 5 way switching. Playability obviously way ahead of sterling/LTD/SE etc.
I'm assuming you like your 7421, the prestige 6 should feel very familiar.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
I have a huge thing for PRSs so so far the SEs have been my first choice, especially with their newer lineups. Sterlings have had me interested for a while now, and i love the look of them and have heard good things about their quality, but at the moment I'm leaning more towards waiting on getting a JP till I can afford the Ernie Ball models; all or nothing. :lol: Prestiges I'm going to have look into more too!

Keep the suggestions coming guys! Appreciate the replies so far. :)

Bforber

Reaction score
Just quell your GAS for a minute and wait for the Holcomb SE. I can't imagine you being disappointed if you already love PRS as it is. It's a great guitar.

Rawkmann

Reaction score
Just quell your GAS for a minute and wait for the Holcomb SE. I can't imagine you being disappointed if you already love PRS as it is. It's a great guitar.

I think I'd have to agree with this. I was lucky enough that my local PRS dealer got ahold of one and they are absolutely insane guitars for the money. Plus they even ship in Drop C tuning right off the bat, there is literally nothing You'd have to change to suit Your preferences!

pfizer

Reaction score
Personally, I'd go for any one of these:

1) Used Ibanez Prestige models -- although an RG652FX goes for 999 USD these if I'm not mistaken

2) ESP Horizon models -- pretty similar to the Ibanez, go for these if you prefer carved tops, since Ibanez RGAs are pretty rare these days

3) Schecter Banshee Elites -- these look pretty nice and come with Hipshot bridges

4) PRS SE -- you've already said that you like this guitar; experiment with the other suggestions if you like, but I personally am a big fan of SEs myself.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Wait for the PRS. If not, used Schecter Bashees or the Kieth Merrow 6.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Used prestige everyday of the year for the rest of your life.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
used ibanez Premium, just have someone inspect it for cooties first

bzhan1

Banned
Reaction score
holcombs and merrows are good guitars with nice specs but are they really worth the huge upcharge from a standard se or regular banshee? A nice chunk of that $1k is going to marky and keith's pockets.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
More serious answer: used Prs Core Mira OR CEs around 750-800

Probably around the top ranking for straight up guitar/money

Rawkmann

Reaction score
holcombs and merrows are good guitars with nice specs but are they really worth the huge upcharge from a standard se or regular banshee? A nice chunk of that $1k is going to marky and keith's pockets.

The Holcomb SE is $899, only $150 more than a regular SE Custom 24. IMO the signature pickups alone would be worth the upcharge excluding all the other custom options (ebony board, fretboard radius, satin neck, finish).

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I got a PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin a few months back. Humbuckers that scream but coil split nicely. I can play any genre on it. $999

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Used Ibanez Prestige, used Carvin, used ESP, I think the keyword here is used. I don't know why anyone would buy a new guitar these days unless its some new model you just have to have, or a custom. When the used market is basically flooded with so much good gear.