Got rid of t.v. Hulu & Netflix only now...

• Thread starter FireInside
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Finally pulled the trigger on canceling our Dish Network. Been with them forever but we honestly don't watch much t.v. Couldn't justify spending $80 a month for something we barely use. I have been streaming Netflix with my Xbox and recently got Hulu plus too. Pretty satisfied with both. My kids are able to watch the shows they like and I am always able to find something that interests me.

The only things I miss are Walking Dead (netflix is like one season behind), live football, hockey, and live news. I get most of my news from the net anyway.

Anyone else done the same?

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
Did this like a year ago....best thing I ever did. Saves me about 170 bucks a month!:yesway:

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
You can watch most games at hockeynight.org (i use that one quite often. quality isn't the best but good enough. i haven't tried anything but hockey on it, or the final game of the world series)
(btw mods, if posting that site is against rules, please remove this post and I won't do it again)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
I stopped paying for TV a few years ago. 60 a month absolutely wasn't worth it when I was watching netflix the same or more and was paying 8 bucks a month for it. I watched an average of 2 hours of TV a week. Since I don't watch any sports, really all I was doing was paying 60 a month for the privilege of watching AMC/FX shows an hour before they hit the internet. It was like 90 for a package that included HBO so I was being a bad bad man anyway in terms of legally watching the few shows I cared about, so when Dish dropped AMC I saw no reason at all to continue paying for it. If you weren't forced to pay a huge premium for various sports channels I don't watch I'd think about buying cable service, but you are, and I won't. I'd pay like 10 a month for JUST HBO and another 20 or so for really basic cable with no sports channels, but the actual rates? Totally not worth it.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Ive been using Netflix for several years, what shows does Hulu have that netflix does not? I keep looking around but can't find too much good info, I would hate to sign up for Hulu and not get enough unique programming.

wankerness

Reaction score
Ive been using Netflix for several years, what shows does Hulu have that netflix does not? I keep looking around but can't find too much good info, I would hate to sign up for Hulu and not get enough unique programming.

They seem to not usually have entire series, which is annoying, but they do have some unique ones. Here were some I noticed recently in a streaming TV recommendation article on AV club:

Hill Street Blues
House of Cards (the BBC version and follow-up series to it)
I, Claudius
Larry Sanders Show (this USED to be on netflix, maybe not anymore?)
Peter Gunn
The Rifleman
The Thick of It
UFO
Wiseguy

Sooooo basically older shows and some BBC stuff? I'm sure there are plenty of other exclusives but yeah, this article had 33 things in it total, the rest of which were either not on hulu or not exclusive to it, and the only one of these I was interested in was Larry Sanders. I had Hulu Plus for like two months just when they had more criterion movies than normal on its service, but then I cancelled it...their selection in general just didn't seem worth the subscription fee when I already had netflix.

EDIT: here's a crappy article, but I can't find a good repository of this info anywhere:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-online-video-exclusives,news-17555.html

Did not know that Amazon Prime had any exclusives, I've had it for years now but have never used the streaming a single time cause I thought it was just netflix with less stuff :p Might have to watch Justified. (or downton abbey :p)

Don Vito

Reaction score
I want to do this once I get rid of backwoods internet. Almost every show I watch on TV is 10+ years old :lol:

Is there really no way to stream live sports :scratch:

ferret

Reaction score
I tried to do it, but the cable company out manuveared me. I watch Netflix with a bit of Amazon Prime almost exclusively. My wife watches network news and the USA channel for Law & Order and NCIS reruns... lol. Otherwise we tune to History the rest of the time.

When I called to cancel cable TV after she agreed to cut it, they offered me TV for only $3 more than it would cost for my internet alone. So I kept it.

Recently that expired so now it's more like $35 for TV now... I've been too lazy and/or busy to call and do the usual complaining to get my promotional rate back. But our viewing habits are the same. Netflix/Prime, with a bit of CNN/MSNBC/etc, USA, and History/Discovery.

wankerness

Reaction score
I tried to do it, but the cable company out manuveared me. I watch Netflix with a bit of Amazon Prime almost exclusively. My wife watches network news and the USA channel for Law & Order and NCIS reruns... lol. Otherwise we tune to History the rest of the time.

When I called to cancel cable TV after she agreed to cut it, they offered me TV for only $3 more than it would cost for my internet alone. So I kept it.

Recently that expired so now it's more like $35 for TV now... I've been too lazy and/or busy to call and do the usual complaining to get my promotional rate back. But our viewing habits are the same. Netflix/Prime, with a bit of CNN/MSNBC/etc, USA, and History/Discovery.

Jesus christ, here it's 60 a month for basic cable.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I don't even own a TV. I just have Netflix streaming and then I have to acquire HBO shows.......... another way. HBO really needs to setup HBO-Go so you can buy it separately instead of needing a full subscription. I'd pay $5-10 per month for streaming. Or they could even charge per season of a show.

Is there really no way to stream live sports :scratch:

Hopefully this doesn't fall under piracy talk, but you can stream almost any live sporting event via First Row Sports. Word of warning, never download any of the add-ons/special players. Just try another link to get a standard Flash based player.

ferret

Reaction score
What do you watch on History and Discovery now a days :ugh:. When I was like 10 (highschool now) they some awesome stuff on there now it's just People driving on roads, Amish Mafias:lol: and "moonshiners".

Very rarely Discovery. On History, we still occasionally watch things like Pawn Stars and American Pickers. Just like seeing old stuff, but the shows are definitely wearing thin. Usually just enough actual reality to balance the staged-ness. I've no use for the absurd silly completely made up stuff like Amish Mafia and Moonshiners.

wankerness said:
Jesus christ, here it's 60 a month for basic cable.

In reality it's more like $60 for TV, $30 for internet. Internet by itself would be $55. When I called to cancel they offered $60 for me to keep TV. They don't want subscriber numbers to drop. Basically a promotional rate of $40 for TV, $20 for internet. It expired though, so I need to call and complain more.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I've been using Netflix and Hulu instead of cable for two years now. I think I do have a handful of cable channels that come with my internet subscription, but they're all in Korean, so I stick with Netflix and Hulu :lol:.